Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

elonwy

Gluten Free Detectives Unite.

Dinner last night was very simple.

Thai Kitchen LemonGrass & Ginger Jasmine Rice, says gluten free right on the box.

Added in C&W Ultimate Tuscan Blend ( Frozen veggies) which has spices added, but I put a call in to the company, and they said they don't use gluten anywhere in thier processing, except for the boxed side dishes that have bullion in them *might* have trace amounts. The Tuscan blend is thier bagged variety. It is the place I'm most suspicious.

Last night my stomach swelled up like a balloon after dinner. I'm more suspicious of the veggies than the rice, since the rice says gluten free, and Thai Kitchen has been a good brand for that, but I wanted to check and see if anyone else has experience with reactions to either brand.

Elonwy

I've never been glutened by Thai Kitchen, but I've never had that particular product. Have you had that product before? Is there anything else in it that could be bothering you?

As for C&W, I think I've only ever had plain frozen peas, and never had a problem there, but that's not really a surprise. I agree that the seasoned veggies seem most suspicious and I'm going to be bummed if people come back saying they get glutened by Thai Kitchen.

Was there anything suspicious earlier in your day that your dinner could have "pushed through" to your intestines and caused a reaction? Sometimes these things are such a mystery!

I eat a lot of Thai Kitchen products and have never had any kind of negative reaction. I'd bet on the seasoning in the veggies. The only real test is to eat each of the items separately and see if you get a reaction again.

I'm in the middle of a similar issue with Barbara's Honey Rice Puffins. I've been eating them for almost a year with no problems. I bought a new box last week and the first two bowls made me sick. I'm positive it's the cereal because the only other thing I had with it was milk, which I drink all the time.

No this was definitly gluten bloating. I can eat a bag of potato chips with no problems, so I don't think the bloating came from sodium. Its a special feeling I'm well aquainted with.

Earlier in the day I had had a corn crunch ems, which I've been eating every morning for the last week, and then I had a cheese stick about mid-day, which is a snack I've also been enjoying regularly, and then I had a handful of cheetos and 4 plain lays staxx before dinner.

I really think it was the rice an veggies, because I believe I've reacted to this combo of dinner before but so much other stuff was around it I couldn't tell. Yesterday I just never got a chance to eat because of work.

I'm going to grab another box of rice and try it seperatley and if I'm fine, I'm just avoiding the C&W seasoned stuff despite thier claim.

Thanks, you all seem to be confirming my suspicions.

Elonwy

Unfortunately, processed foods that aren't supposed to have gluten sometimes do. The reality is it could be almost any of the processed foods you ate (except maybe the cheese).Last time I looked, Health Valley didn't even list the cereal as gluten-free, I guess because of the CC possibilities.

richard

I'm in the middle of a similar issue with Barbara's Honey Rice Puffins. I've been eating them for almost a year with no problems. I bought a new box last week and the first two bowls made me sick. I'm positive it's the cereal because the only other thing I had with it was milk, which I drink all the time.

JoeB, I bought a box of Barbara's Honey Rice Puffins right after dx. I tried a bowl a few times with days or weeks in between. I was definitely glutened by them. Haven't bought anymore....Not to sidetrack Elonwy's thread.

I have no experience with Thai Kitchen. I hope you find the culprit, Elonwy.