Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

munchkinette

How Many Of You Decided You Had Problems Despite Negative Tests?

They talked about it in Dangerous Grains. I believe it's called the rectal challenge.

Well that sounds like fun :o

Maybe I'll start saying "I'd rather have a rectal challenge" instead of "I'd rather have a root canal"

Considering I am so terrified that I have to be heavily drugged at the dentist, I'd probably rather have the wheat up my butt :rolleyes:

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

Join eNewsletter

Well that sounds like fun :o

Maybe I'll start saying "I'd rather have a rectal challenge" instead of "I'd rather have a root canal"

Considering I am so terrified that I have to be heavily drugged at the dentist, I'd probably rather have the wheat up my butt :rolleyes:

LMAO :lol::lol:

Yeah the test is mentioned in Dangerous Grains but I dont know of anyone whos actually had that test done.

Ummm...hello...who would pick that test? :blink: I'd rather have the biopsy again and again.

Rachel

Join eNewsletter

I just finished Dangerous Grains yesterday. I was wondering who would get the rectal challenge instead of the enterolab. The book came out in 2002, so maybe enterolab has gotten more popular since then. (?)

I'm still waiting for my blood test results. I'm also waiting for a reply from my doctor about doing other tests, but I think she's waiting for the blood test before she responds... she normally only takes 2-3 days. (My hospital has a great deal- for $60/year you can email your doctor with questions and get real answers within a few days. Otherwise you get stuck in voicemail purgatory forever.)

Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003

Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)

Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)

Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

Join eNewsletter

I just finished Dangerous Grains yesterday. I was wondering who would get the rectal challenge instead of the enterolab. The book came out in 2002, so maybe enterolab has gotten more popular since then. (?)

I'm still waiting for my blood test results. I'm also waiting for a reply from my doctor about doing other tests, but I think she's waiting for the blood test before she responds... she normally only takes 2-3 days. (My hospital has a great deal- for $60/year you can email your doctor with questions and get real answers within a few days. Otherwise you get stuck in voicemail purgatory forever.)

Why not just do the Enterolab stool test? It supposedly picks up much more than the blood tests do...with the added plus that you don't have to be currently stuffing yourself with gluten to get an accurate test. I think a lot of us make this diagnosis thing more difficult than it has to be. And let's face it....doctors with their traditional and often not very up to date knowledge of how to test for celiac are generally not "cutting edge" with the diagnosis of celiac. My mom was told for years and years that her symptoms were "all in her head" and she nearly died because of it.

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

Join eNewsletter

I suggested testing for celiac to my Dr. Actually, I was sneakier and said food allergies/intolerances and she said the celiac panel. She was willing to test, but kind of apprehensive. When the results came back with the IgG high, she put me on the diet. I think in the time between that test and my follow up appointment, she did some research because when I said I had the classic symptoms of celiac at my first appointment, she said the symptoms are the same as most other chronic stomach problems. When I went back for the follow up, she was convinced I had it. It's all about finding a Dr. that will work with you, I just got lucky.

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

Join eNewsletter

I suggested testing for celiac to my Dr. Actually, I was sneakier and said food allergies/intolerances and she said the celiac panel. She was willing to test, but kind of apprehensive. When the results came back with the IgG high, she put me on the diet. I think in the time between that test and my follow up appointment, she did some research because when I said I had the classic symptoms of celiac at my first appointment, she said the symptoms are the same as most other chronic stomach problems. When I went back for the follow up, she was convinced I had it. It's all about finding a Dr. that will work with you, I just got lucky.

You are very lucky to have a doctor who was open to the idea, and when realizing she didn't know a lot she actually went to find out about it. Unfortunately, a lot of doctors don't bother with it!

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

Join eNewsletter

Join eNewsletter