Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DingoGirl

Binge Eating - gluten-free Just Over 3 Weeks

I have been gluten-free for 3 1/2 weeks after positive biopsy/blood tests and all of it.......I was always thin and never cared about food at all, forcing down 3 meals a day before dx and severely malnourished. I started feeling *fantastic* just five days gluten-free, but this week - trouble. Anywho, I have gained 8 pounds and now find myself RAVENOUS at night, bingeing on things endlessly - - chips, rice pudding, white cheddar popcorn - - what's going on?? :blink: Have any of you wonderful people had this problem? Will it stop??? Stomach hurts :( and is sticking out very far, probably from eating too much but also possible gluten ingestion.....

This board has saved my life, btw! :)

Susan

I seem to be hungry a lot of the time, too. Sometimes, it's more than hunger--like a serious NEED for food. I thought it was my body's way of making up for all the nutrients it was lacking, but it's been 8 months--I don't want to be gaining any more weight :D

I went through a phase like that too. For a few weeks it seemed like I could never get enough to eat. I was just starving constantly. It eventually settled down.

thank you, THAT is good news....I've never really binged before, and am just CRAVING certain kinds of foods! Hopefully this shall pass....

I have been gluten free for about 9 months. I am still binging. I had lost 35 lbs. in 3 months before I was diagnosed. I have gained back the 35 plus 15 more. I have found gluten free substitutes for things that I can't have. I can sit down and eat a meal that is meant for 4 people by myself. I just stuff myself until I am ready to burst. :o

I know that this is my way of trying to comfort myself - I'ts not working, but I'm doing it anyway. :(

I just started seeing a counselor to help me try to get past this.

Cindy

You know what? I do this too. And I know that it's totally psychological and emotional and yet I do it anyway.

It really bothers me that anybody else can eat whenever they are hungry and eat whatever they want and I can't do that. I can't go grab takeout for dinner after a 12 hour workday, I have to go home and cook myself something.

So when I feel good I eat. A lot. Everything in sight.

Then I inevitably feel icky and skip a meal or two because I'm so full and bloated from my bingeing. (Usually it's cereal, by the way. Not sure what that's about.)

So not healthy.

If anyone has a solution to this, I'd LOVE to hear it!!!

Hopefully you won't have an extreme appetite for 4 months as I did, but relax it's likely just your body (attempting to) repairing damage from partial 'nutritional starvation'... though it would be a good idea to eat [during this time] the highest quality food you can--that's acceptable to your individual system. A recently gluten-free Celiac will likely repair bones, muscle, organs, even hair, gums, teeth, nails, etc....... The hardest part is trying to avoid candy, ice cream, and all the more enjoyable cravings... sure was for me.

GC