Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

luvs2eat

General Tsao's Chicken

I've made this before but lost the recipe. This looks similar! Needless to say... use wheat-free soy sauce!

GENERAL TSAO'S CHICKEN

1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts or thighs

1/2 tsp. salt

1 egg

3/4 c. + 1 tbsp. cornstarch, divided use

1 c. + 3 tbsp. vegetable oil, divided use

2 tbsp. chopped green onion

1 tbsp. fresh minced ginger

1 tbsp. fresh minced garlic

2/3 c. chicken stock

2 tbsp. soy sauce

4 tbsp. sugar

Chinese hot oil to taste

1 tbsp. sherry

1 tbsp. white vinegar

Steamed broccoli

Cut chicken into bite-sized pieces and rub with salt. Mix the egg with 3 tablespoons water. Dip chicken in egg mix. Add 3/4 cup cornstarch and coat chicken thoroughly.

Heat 1 cup oil in a wok or skillet on medium-high and cook chicken pieces until they turn golden brown. Remove from oil and drain. Remove from skillet. Place remaining 3 tablespoons oil in pan. Over medium high heat, add green onions, ginger and garlic. When garlic turns clear, add chicken stock, soy sauce, sugar. Stir well.

Mix 2 tablespoons water with 1 tablespoon cornstarch. Pour into stock mixture and stir well. Add the chicken and continue stirring. Add Chinese hot oil (1/2 to 1 teaspoon) wine and vinegar. Stir gently. Serve immediately with broccoli.

This is a great recipe! Am eating it as I type. Didn't have all the ingredients, i.e. vinegar and sherry; and used gluten-free flour instead of cornstarch. And it still turned out very good. Am trying to cut down my animal protein to 1 oz. a day; so have enough left over to freeze. Thank you very much for this recipe.