Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jackie4

Asthma And Celiac

My daughter , Lizzie, was just diagnosed last week- through a positive biopsy. She is 14 and has exercise induced asthma. Has anyone noticed if this was directly related to the celiac. Also since having the stomach pains they seem to comemore often when she is running and they are more severe than usual ? Is this something that is normal with celiac disease? Jackie

I'm new to all this too and there are many people on this board who are more knowledgeable than I am. However, my GI is also a researcher and is studying the relationship between asthma and celiac. It seems that stomach problems tend to come first and then asthma. I've had stomach problems from birth and was soon after diagnosed with serious asthma, though my stomach problems are only in the process of being diagnosed as celiac 19 years later. As for stomach pains related to exercise, I can't help you there. I personally don't suffer from that.

well i dont know if they are related, but i do know that i didnt get asthma until after i got celiac and was gluten-free...

and i dont run because i'd probably drop dead from asthma attack and too out of shape :P so cant help ya there..

~lisa~

Dear Jackie,

I am a 62 year old female. I was diagnosed 4 years ago. I had been told that I had exercise induced asthma at age 40. As I began to recover I noticed that I didn't need my inhaler any more. Now I've been told that I don't have asthma. I do notice that when I accidentally get some gluten my chest tightens. I can only tell you my experience. Also, when I started feeling better the stomach pains decreased. I really can only say this was my experience. I hope your daughter is feeling better and these things are just minor setbacks. Tell her she is soooo luck to get the information now. Also, tell her I hope she will be better soon. Lots of Luck to you both, R. Savage