This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Mcdonalds Question

DragonQueen

DragonQueen Explorer

I'm going on a school field trip and for lunch the only questionable place I can eat is Mcdonalds. Yes, I've heard everything going on about mcdonalds. But I heard on the news that the maker of mcdonalds (or something like that) clarified that the fries are gluten free. I'm very confused, should I play guinea pig and try the fries??????? :unsure:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ErraticBinxie Explorer

I personally would not do it. I don't risk ANYTHING when it comes to gluten. There are a ton of links on this forum to articles about McDonalds. I suggest you read them before you make a decision.

tarnalberry Community Regular
I'm going on a school field trip and for lunch the only questionable place I can eat is Mcdonalds. Yes, I've heard everything going on about mcdonalds. But I heard on the news that the maker of mcdonalds (or something like that) clarified that the fries are gluten free. I'm very confused, should I play guinea pig and try the fries??????? :unsure:

Base on my understanding of the source of wheat in the ingredient list and based on the recent testing, I think that the fries *could* be safe, BUT based on what I understand of restaurant practices (including oil recycling and not-so-dedicated (no matter what company policy is) friers, I do not believe they are *in actuality* truely safe, and will not eat them. Then again, friers being what they are, I say that about virtually ALL fried foods.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

This is really a personal decision for everyone. I personally wouldn't eat them. I get major reactions to wheat and it just wouldn't be worth the risk for me.

Maybe you could bring your own food to eat?

joemoe003 Apprentice

mcdonalds frys have wheat and milk in them i have just heard that someone is tryin to sue mcdonalds because they never told people that they have wheat and milk in them i dont know much about it but i wouldnt eat them

flagbabyds Collaborator

to not eat fries

never again will i eat them :angry:

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Ok. I consider myself a pretty militant anti gluten mom for my 7 year old son. I got him fries the other day and he was fine. The testing proved that the fries are safe for celiacs. I am the type who won't even let my son have food that says "processed in same facility as wheat", but I think the fries are fine. Seeing as he's had no reaction, I'd say they're fine. We all have to decide for ourselves, though.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jeagbenne Newbie

I find that strange, because I heard on NPR last week or the week before that McDonald's fries are made with wheat and milk so they are not safe to eat.

I don't believe anything fast food restaruants say, they're evil anyway.

teankerbell Apprentice

If you go to the Celiac Sprue website, they have an analysis of the Mc D fries so you can make your own decision.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

It's an individual decision--my sister and myself, both gluten free for 5 years, have always eaten McDonald's fries and never had a problem. I haven't had a french fry since moving to Long Island, but that is from personal preference--I don't eat fast food to begin with. My sister had them 2 weeks ago with her grandchildren and is fine. We both react to gluten very quickly--her within 1/2 hour. I say they are safe. Deb

DragonQueen Explorer
:rolleyes: Thanks everybody, I went on the field trip. It was a blast. Mandalay bay-shark reef. Anyways, it was Mcdonalds for lunch, and for me I decided not to eat the fries. But I did have a huge coke, I fessed up to my friends at school and they felt sorry for me, they were cool about it and supportive :)

Archived