This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Leaky Gut

jerseyangel

jerseyangel Proficient

I came across an article on the subject that I thought was good.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

megsylvan2 Apprentice

I was told I have Leaky Gut syndrome by a holistic MD (although she ordered no tests to arrive at this decision). I'm struggling with trying to find out if this is a real syndrome or not. Everything I read about it sounds reasonable, but I don't know. I find it all over the internet on the holistic sites, but not much in established medical literature. I don't know. I'm waiting to see what my GI dr has to say about it. Anyone else know about it?

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Leaky gut is pretty much a given for those of us who have gluten intolerance ....it just comes with the territory. Personally, I dont need a doctor to tell me I have it....I've done enough research to know that I do. My doctors know what leaky gut is and are very knowledgable. They told me what I already know...I have it....the important thing is to allow it to heal. There are tests for it but its a waste of money in my opinion because if you have it its fairly obvious. I'm lucky that I have good doctors now because there are lots who arent so knowledgeable. I've mentioned this to doctors I've had in the past and they have no clue...just look at me this. :huh:

Thats why I remained sick for the last 3 years...clueless doctors.

lonewolf Collaborator

Thanks for posting the link, Jerseyangel. It was very informative. I need to go back to my doctor to discuss some strategies for healing.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I came across an article on the subject that I thought was good.

Hi Patti

thanks for the great article.

I haven't read yet but just printed and now going to bed.

Rachel, Patti,

could the higher #'s from my last Iga test have some from leaky gut?

My chiro said she thinks that's what's going on with me but will call me tomrrow to tell me what other blood tests she wants my primary to run.

I thought Iga just tested for Gluten :blink::unsure::blink:

Judy

jenvan Collaborator

Thanks for article Patti--will read today.

Judy--Let me know what the chiro says... :blink:

covsooze Enthusiast

I think this is almost certainly a problem for me, especially since my test results show intolerances to numerous foods. For those of you who have concluded you've got leaky gut, what are you doing about it? Anyone had success in using the various supplements mentioned in the helpful link Patti posted?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rachel--24 Collaborator
For those of you who have concluded you've got leaky gut, what are you doing about it? Anyone had success in using the various supplements mentioned in the helpful link Patti posted?

This is what I'm doing:

1. Had tests done to see what underlying issues could be causing the leaky gut (I've been gluten free 10 months). I was found to have C-Diff bacteria overgrowth and candida.

2. Had to take antibiotics to kill the c-diff. Dont know if it worked yet. Will retest in 30 days.

3. During and following antibiotic treatment my doc has me taking 2 different types of probiotics to try and reestablish normal flora.

4. He also has me taking Transfer Factor (to strengthen immune system), Sea Cure (to help heal gut) and another supplement for adrenal support.

5. I think he will start me on digestive enzymes next.

6. I'm doing specific carbohydrate diet to starve out the bad bacteria and fix dysbiosis.

7. I dont eat anything that I know I'm intolerant to.

Thats about it for now.

DonnaD Apprentice

I am doing the test tomorrow. :) Patti that link was really good.

covsooze Enthusiast

Thanks for the info Rachel. I guess I need to find out the underlying causes. Not sure who to go to for that here in the UK though.....

Donna, are you getting private medical care? I can't imagine the NHS investigating the possibility of leaky gut (call me a cynic ;) ) How did your test go today? What has your dr said they'll do once you get your results?

Susie

danikali Enthusiast

Thanks for the site Patti! I'm reading it now......

How did your apt. go on Friday with the allergist? Anything good come of it?

key Contributor

Rachel,

Where do you get Transfer factor? Sea cure?

Thanks,

Monica

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Rachel,

Where do you get Transfer factor? Sea cure?

Thanks,

Monica

I got it from my doctor. I've never seen it in a store but I looked it up online. Heres the links:

Open Original Shared Link.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

Can someone explain what leaky gut actually is? Kind of confused on that. Thanks!

jthomas88 Newbie
Can someone explain what leaky gut actually is? Kind of confused on that. Thanks!

Really simplistically (and probably not exactly medically correct but close enough for explanation), when working properly your intestines are supposed to allow itsy-bitsy-wee-teeny-tiny bits of nutritional food bits (molecules/atoms) into your blood stream through itsy-bitsy-wee-teeny-tiny "nutrient holes" in your intestines, to provide nourishment for your body.

With leaky gut syndrome (also know as intestinal permeability) your intestines aren't in great shape and are probably stretched out and irritated and therefore have too-big "nutrient holes" which allow too-big bits of nutritional food into your blood stream. (An example would be gluteny pie dough - you can only stretch it out so thin before you tear a hole in it.) Your blood isn't set up to handle the too-big bits of food and looks on them as it does a virus or bad bacteria (i.e., this shouldn't be here). It tries to attack the too-big bits and make them go away because they're not supposed to be there in that form...and that makes you feel sick. Leaky gut kind of allows your blood to be "virused" with the too-big bits.

danikali Enthusiast
Really simplistically (and probably not exactly medically correct but close enough for explanation), when working properly your intestines are supposed to allow itsy-bitsy-wee-teeny-tiny bits of nutritional food bits (molecules/atoms) into your blood stream through itsy-bitsy-wee-teeny-tiny "nutrient holes" in your intestines, to provide nourishment for your body.

With leaky gut syndrome (also know as intestinal permeability) your intestines aren't in great shape and are probably stretched out and irritated and therefore have too-big "nutrient holes" which allow too-big bits of nutritional food into your blood stream. (An example would be gluteny pie dough - you can only stretch it out so thin before you tear a hole in it.) Your blood isn't set up to handle the too-big bits of food and looks on them as it does a virus or bad bacteria (i.e., this shouldn't be here). It tries to attack the too-big bits and make them go away because they're not supposed to be there in that form...and that makes you feel sick. Leaky gut kind of allows your blood to be "virused" with the too-big bits.

And does anyone know how long it takes to heal? And if we eat something 'wrong' that we didn't know what wrong in the first place, is this setting us back? For example, I can't have nuts anymore, but I didn't know that at first, so to test them out, of course, I had to eat them. Well, now that I know it was the nuts for sure, did that set me back? And if we don't get these supplements, are we never going to heal? I've read so many things on the 'leaky gut' but it doesn't ever answer these questions. Does anyone know?

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Lots of things can irritate the gut and keep it from healing. It really does require a basic diet of whole foods to heal if its in bad shape. A proper diet in my opinion is much more important than taking supplements. You can take all the supplements you want but if you dont eat right for your body...the supplements arent gonna work miracles. Also, as is the case with me, an imbalance of the normal flora (i.e. bacteria, yeast overgrowths) can cause constant imflammation which will keep the gut leaky. Sometimes these problems have to be addressed before the gut can really start healing.

danikali Enthusiast
Lots of things can irritate the gut and keep it from healing. It really does require a basic diet of whole foods to heal if its in bad shape. A proper diet in my opinion is much more important than taking supplements. You can take all the supplements you want but if you dont eat right for your body...the supplements arent gonna work miracles. Also, as is the case with me, an imbalance of the normal flora (i.e. bacteria, yeast overgrowths) can cause constant imflammation which will keep the gut leaky. Sometimes these problems have to be addressed before the gut can really start healing.

so what if I can't find a doctor that will help me with that? I should expect to always have problems?

jthomas88 Newbie

You could get some more tests done, such as Candida (yeast) test, and Gliadin test, and a food allergy one (all bloodwork). These are the tests my daughter's MD did. On our first visit to her she pointed out that DD's symptoms were all those of problems with wheat, and drew blood for the Candida and Gliadin tests then. The results came back in about 2 weeks.

Some of DD's symptoms improved, but she's still missing gobs of school, so yesterday I called and asked if the dr. would draw blood for ImmunoLabs' Food Allerby test, to see what else DD was having problems with. That test is about $550 - ouch! - but it is much faster than trying an elimination diet. (She's got non-celiac gluten sensitivity and delayed food allergies - symptoms don't begin to show for 48-72 hours.) I'm not sure if this test will be covered by our insurance or not, but we're running the risk of having to withdraw DD from school due to absences, so the cost is worth it for us.

I'd think the speed of the healing process would vary depending on each individual's condition at a particular time. If you heal quickly in general, you'll heal faster. If you've got multiple food problems, avoiding those problem foods will help you heal more quickly - but you have to know what your problem foods are. DD's yeast test was way negative, so we don't have to worry about that problem (one plus for us, yay!), but I think yeast problem folks need to stay away from sugars and possibly carbs. (I've seen many entries on the Internet about yeast problems, but haven't paid much attention to them since yeast isn't one of my DD's problems...at least right now.)

Even if your doctor isn't excessively supportive, perhaps you could get blood drawn on your own (i.e. at some clinic or Qwest or something) and have it sent to ImmunoLabs, and foot the bill yourself instead of trying to go through your insurance.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
so what if I can't find a doctor that will help me with that? I should expect to always have problems?

There are labs that offer these tests. You would just need a doctor to order the test for you. All of my tests were kits....which I did at home. Like Enterolab. I send in the package and they send the results to my doctor. I had one bloodtest which I had to do in the office but all the other tests I did myself.

Also, you could call around until you can find someone who is knowledgeable about leaky gut, multiple intolerances, celiac..etc. I would recommend doing your homework before seeing anyone though. Some doctors (no matter what their field) just dont have a clue but can "act" like they know what they're talking about. You dont wannna waste your time or money on a doctor like that. Knowledge is power and you can easily weed out bad doctors when you do your homework. I saw one alternative doctor last year when I was VERY sick. Super nice lady and she helped me out "emotionally" when I was at my worst. As far as getting me better though....she really didnt know what to do...she just agreed with me on everything. Thats no good.

I finally have a doctor who knows more than me and its making a difference. There are some good doctors out there. You just gotta look.

• 2 weeks later...
DonnaD Apprentice
Thanks for the info Rachel. I guess I need to find out the underlying causes. Not sure who to go to for that here in the UK though.....

Donna, are you getting private medical care? I can't imagine the NHS investigating the possibility of leaky gut (call me a cynic ;) ) How did your test go today? What has your dr said they'll do once you get your results?

Susie

Susie

You are right, my NHS doctor thinks I'm 'just' depresssed so I am paying privatly to see a doctor in London. As my PPP insurance won't cover a self referal! There is a lab round the corner from the consulting rooms and I had bloods and got the test kit there. I got to the point where having left my job and inco

I just got the leaky gut results and rather surprisingly I actually have Decreased permeability, the opposite of a leaky gut! I havn't managed to find much information on malabsorbion yet. Has anyone else had ths result or have any links?

Donna

Claire Collaborator

Leaky gut and intestinal pereambilty are the same thing. The wall of the intestine become permeabile - i.e. small particles of undigested protein can get through. These then enter the blood stream where the immune system sees them as a foreign entity that shouldn't be there - and attacks. This is essentially the nature of Type II food allergies. It doesn't cause an immediate allergy response but rather a delayed one. Those particles have to get through the wall and into the blood stream for this to happen. This is not visble when colonoscopy is done. There is a test - lactolose/Mannitol - not easy to get. Claire

DonnaD Apprentice
There is a test - lactolose/Mannitol - not easy to get. Claire

This is the test that I did, its called Gut Permeability Peg 400

Test

It isn't expensive mine was £42.

bluejeangirl Contributor

If you read the article doesn't it make sense that in the diet they recommend Jerusalem artichokes? I spend so much on suppliments I really would like to get better by eating the right foods. Does anybody here take FOS and is it expensive? This is a great article though and an eye opener. They say to avoid rice, vinegar, pepper, and mustard all of which I'm eating in my current diet. Whew there goes salad dressing. Well I'm going to give this a shot, I know I have to heal my gut. Nothing will get better for me if I don't address this. I just keep getting more and more food intolerences.

Thanks for sending this article,

Gail

ebrbetty Rising Star

donna, what type of test is Gut Permeability Peg 400 ? blood? urine?

Archived