This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Why Is There More"wind"?

4tomorrow

4tomorrow Apprentice

Okay I've been gluten free for 4 days. I already feel amazingly better. Not normal but much less pain. I am passing A LOT more gas though. It's rumbling like crazy. I don't get it. I set up a seperate "kitchen" in the laudry room. Spent a lot of time decontaminating my main kitchen. I am not concerned about CC at this point. I have been anal in checking everything and making sure that my son keeps his crumb kisses to my cheek.

Did anyone else have this problem? Btw, I take the generic form of neruontin (gabapentin). Does anyone have a good source for drugs. I did quite a few google searches and can't find any info on medications that I need to know about.

I am having my son tested by enterolab. I only had the gene for sensitivity so hopefully he doesn't have any and then I won't have to worry about it. I have a feeling though that he does. He always has a runny nose. We had him tested for allergies, and they all came back fine. He has some "temper" issues that come out of nowhere and he is very sensitive. He's only five and I can't imagine trying to help him understand all of the changes we are making.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jams Explorer
Okay I've been gluten free for 4 days. I already feel amazingly better. Not normal but much less pain. I am passing A LOT more gas though. It's rumbling like crazy. I don't get it. I set up a seperate "kitchen" in the laudry room. Spent a lot of time decontaminating my main kitchen. I am not concerned about CC at this point. I have been anal in checking everything and making sure that my son keeps his crumb kisses to my cheek.

Did anyone else have this problem? Btw, I take the generic form of neruontin (gabapentin). Does anyone have a good source for drugs. I did quite a few google searches and can't find any info on medications that I need to know about.

I am having my son tested by enterolab. I only had the gene for sensitivity so hopefully he doesn't have any and then I won't have to worry about it. I have a feeling though that he does. He always has a runny nose. We had him tested for allergies, and they all came back fine. He has some "temper" issues that come out of nowhere and he is very sensitive. He's only five and I can't imagine trying to help him understand all of the changes we are making.

Thanks.

It just takes time for your body to heal. If you have only been gluten-free for 4 days, that is probably why. When I gluten myself, I am gassy for days. Everytime I eat, I rumble. Give it time and it should pass. (No pun intended! :rolleyes: )

Good luck!

covsooze Enthusiast

Going dairy free has helped enormously with my wind (DH used to call it my weapon of mass destruction...you get the picture I hope!)

debmidge Rising Star

The gas issue is that it can linger while you're healing. For many years while he was misdiagnosed (27 about) my husband had terrible gas with pain, lack of appetite due to gas issues. When he was finally diagnosed celiac disease & went 100% gluten-free his gas subsided over time. Now when he gets gas from gluten-free foods that bother him it passes quickly --- now this pre-gluten-free gas never had an odor. It was strange, but I guess because the food wasn't being digested. Now his after-gluten-free gas can clear the room.

I try to make him laugh about it because you now know that as gluten-free he is digesting his food and the aroma only means that the gluten-free diet is working. So I'd rather him have "gas that clears the room" than the situation we had when he was misdiagnosed.

it's the little things that are positive that we have to focus on, as trite as they are.

Nancym Enthusiast

After I became aware of my gluten issues and went gluten free, I started paying more attention to how my digestion was working and what things upset my stomach or gave me gas. I'd been ignoring all this for years figuring everyone was like me.... cramped up on the toilet at times, blowing gas, etc. Well, it turns out there's more things rotten than just gluten. Dairy and chocolate also do a number on me. I think corn does too.

Keep a food journal and see what you react too. Try to keep your diet simple and healthy and slowly add in other foods.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Check what the main ingredients are in some of the things you're eating. I made brownies made with Garfarva flour (Garbanzo beans and farva beans) -- they were delicious. My nephews ate a LOT of them -- and they were up farting all night!

With regard to drug lists, I posted the information from my appointment with the dietician, it's under the "doctors" thread, and it has a drug website listed. I'm taking Lyrica, the "latest, greatest Neurontin". Seems to work really well.

Good luck to you . . . . will keep you in my prayers . . . . . Lynne

4tomorrow Apprentice

Thanks everyone for your replies. I will check out your thread Lynne, and thank you for the prayers.

The gas has gotten a little better. I've been trying to cut back on the beans for now. Hopefully as I heal I will be able to add them back in.

Quick question,and I should probably make a different thread about this in the weight issues section, but...

I used to have what is considered to be binge eating disorder, I had horrible cravings that would drive me to eat at all times. I would sneak food, hide it, dream about when I would eat something again. Since going gluten free (for 1 week only) I have had to make myself eat because I'm not getting enough calories. I have never in my entire life felt like this. I have always stayed minimally overweight, now the pounds are falling off. I've lost three just this week. I have been exercising but it's NEVER been this easy. Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I should be so lucky. I struggled with eating difficulties when I was in my late 20's, early 30's. Now, I feel like I'm right back there, because I don't FEEL like eating. The only difference . . . . I am GAINING weight. Boy am I hacked! :lol:

sneako Rookie

Managed to gluten myself badly after I worked out last thursday at the gym, bought an Odwalla "Green Machine" stupid me never thought about looking at the ingredients, something must make it bright green! Sure enough after I drank the entire thing lots of gluten crap in the ingredients. Became severely sick that night and friday allday, been sick ever since (tuesday now), severe sore throat, chronic gas, headaches, bloating, nausea. Hopefully feel better soon, but last night me and my dad played scrabble together and had a good ol time with our fart battles :) So yea, "wind" is quite common amond celiacs, and its rather annoying.

Sounds HORRIBLE. :blink: Hope you feel better soon . . . . Lynne

debmidge Rising Star

Lynne

Please repeat with Lyrica is and what it is used for.

Deb

happygirl Collaborator

My body went through a roller coaster of symptoms, both before and after I was diagnosed. I later realized that after I went gluten-free and was still feeling weird that it was just my body healing.....had to get all the gluten out, then had to repair itself, etc. It can take weeks/months to feel somewhat normal!

congrats on 4 days! the beginning can be tough (ok, who am I kidding, it is tough!). we are all rooting for you!

According to the Pharmacist, Lyrica is similar to Neurontin, but it has a mechanism that is supposed to work better/easier/longer in the body. The neurologist gave it to me because I was having so much nerve pain. He had referred me BACK to my rheumatologist. The rheumy was poking around on my muscles -- I kept telling him, you have to poke harder than that. Finally, I told him that it didn't hurt to be pushed on -- but when I moved (gave example of) my shoulder, the muscles felt like raw hamburger. That's when the rheumatologist said that it wasn't musculoskeletal pain, it was neurological. He sent me BACK to the neurologist, and he gave me the Lyrica. Boy, was the rheumatologist right. I started the Lyrica, and my shoulders and hips haven't hurt NEARLY as badly as they did. It makes you kind of sleepy, but it's worth it!

penguin Community Regular
I used to have what is considered to be binge eating disorder, I had horrible cravings that would drive me to eat at all times. I would sneak food, hide it, dream about when I would eat something again. Since going gluten free (for 1 week only) I have had to make myself eat because I'm not getting enough calories. I have never in my entire life felt like this. I have always stayed minimally overweight, now the pounds are falling off. I've lost three just this week. I have been exercising but it's NEVER been this easy. Has anyone else had something like this happen?

Thanks.

I'm also minimally overweight (I'm a little fluffy :D ) and when I started the diet I lost 6 lbs in a week. I think it was because I had no flipping clue what to eat and therefore, did not eat much. I gained like, a pound of it back since then (a whole 3 weeks ago :P ).

Overall, I'm eating way healthier and not eating fast food, so for me, I think that's what's causing the weight loss.

But hey, I'm not complaining! :lol:

Archived