This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bananas

danikali

danikali Enthusiast

Hi,

well, I've been having tons of stomach issues these past few weeks. Yesterday all I ate was applesauce, mangos, rice cakes and a piece of salmon and my stomach didn't hurt at all. It was bloated still, but no pain.

This morning I woke up and had a banana and some rice cakes. Do bananas bother anyone? Because I thought that they helped a bad stomach, but now I'm wondering because my stomach is hurting again and very sensitive.

I guess I'll just stick with the diet I made yesterday and not change it for a while.

Thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I have read here that bananas do bother some--I guess any food could do that. For me, bananas are one of my go-to foods when I am sick, I always have them in the house. This is all so hard to unravel, I know. I am seeing an allergist on Friday--just a consult to see if he will help me get to the bottom of things. If I get any new info or anything, I will definately post. Oh, the rice cakes--they weren't Quaker were they? Those are not safe for us due to the CC.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I cant have bananas because when I took my food intolerance test banana was the only food that showed up...plus a bunch of spices. I sill eat them once in awhile but I do react to them so its been awhile since I've had one. Probably if I just ate half a banana I'd be ok but I tend to go overboard and I'll end up eating bananas everyday. Also, I crave them and I'll sit there and stare at them so I think thats not a good sign. :unsure: They say if you crave something constantly it could be a sign your intolerant to it.

danikali Enthusiast

Okay, well at least I'm not crazy and it could be the bananas. The rice cakes I always eat are Lundberg and they are always safe for me. I eat them everyday when I'm feeling sick and they usually help. Well, lately I've noticed bananas are bad for me, so I guess I'll stay away from now. It's just interesting that the things that are supposed to be the SAFEST sometimes even aren't.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Another thought is that bananas have a very high sugar content and since you're having problems with sugar you might be having problems with foods that have high sugar content.

danikali Enthusiast
Another thought is that bananas have a very high sugar content and since you're having problems with sugar you might be having problems with foods that have high sugar content.

would mangos? because i had no problems with them. what other foods that you know of, so maybe i should stay away.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Since I have candida right now I'm not eating the stuff that is really high in sugar because thats what "feeds" the yeast. I'm not going back on the super strict diet which doesnt allow any fruits but I'm not gonna go crazy with the fruits either. I eat pears, apples, grapefruit and mangos. I'm sure the mangos are probably high in sugar when they're really ripe but I just try not to eat too many. I eat the fruit by itself on an empty stomach...definately not right after a meal. I dont eat carbs and protein together either. I stay away from stuff like yams, potatoes...all the starchy foods that turn to sugar pretty quickly.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

slpinsd Contributor

I used to eat a banana every day, on my food intolerance test bananas were in the HIGH range, so i do not eat them. I also am intolerant to sugar and other fruits including cranberry, blueberry, pineapple, orange, lemon. You definitely could have a food sensitivity to bananas.

ianm Apprentice

No bananas for me at all. My gut can't tolerate them. It is not a pretty sight after I eat one or anything made with bananas. I think it has to do with the high starch and fructose levels.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
They say if you crave something constantly it could be a sign your intolerant to it.

Hi Rachel

You know I think i heard this before and I think it's true.

Guess whose tummy is upset today.... :blink: my bananna muffins do you think??

My chiro says people allergic to latex can't tollerate bananas becasue there is the same "?" kind of protein or something like that ....i did give up bananas 3 weeks ago and then seemed to tolerate them again.

Gets really tiresome but i look at what YOU CAN'T EAT....AND I'M AMAZED ....You sure keep my spirits up by coping with it all

Judy

Rachel--24 Collaborator
My chiro says people allergic to latex can't tollerate bananas becasue there is the same "?" kind of protein or something like that

I remember reading that in an allergy book I have. I'll have to look it up but there is some relationship...strange as it sounds.

Gets really tiresome but i look at what YOU CAN'T EAT....AND I'M AMAZED ....You sure keep my spirits up by coping with it all

Hopefully getting rid of this stupid bacteria and then the candida will reslolve all the food issues. I want to go to DisneyWorld and have glutenfree pancakes in the shape of Mickey Mouse ears....I remember someone posting about it...so thats one of the things I'm looking forward to. :D

penguin Community Regular
My chiro says people allergic to latex can't tollerate bananas becasue there is the same "?" kind of protein or something like that ....

Well, again the info from Brainy DH comes raining down...

He told me a while ago that benzene naturally occurs in bananas, that's right folks, the carcinogen benzene is in your gentle yellow friends! Of course, it's in like, tiny parts per billion, but still.

Benzene is also used in making synthetic rubber, like latex. Maybe that's the connection :blink:

Judyin Philly Enthusiast
I remember reading that in an allergy book I have. I'll have to look it up but there is some relationship...strange as it sounds.

Hopefully getting rid of this stupid bacteria and then the candida will reslolve all the food issues. I want to go to DisneyWorld and have glutenfree pancakes in the shape of Mickey Mouse ears....I remember someone posting about it...so thats one of the things I'm looking forward to. :D

my chiro again--took her chron's and celiac disease 8 year old to disneyworld and 'she was so impressed with the expert attention they gave him.' she's very up on all these food issues and they never let her down. good goal to shoot for.

judy

Rachel--24 Collaborator
my chiro again--took her chron's and celiac disease 8 year old to disneyworld and 'she was so impressed with the expert attention they gave him.' she's very up on all these food issues and they never let her down. good goal to shoot for.

judy

Thanks Judy

I'm excited about it already! :D

Claire Collaborator

I used to eat bananas regularly - especially after so many food intolerances showed up. For about two to three years I ate at least one a day. Guess what? Intolerance set in. Be aware that this happens with food intolerances. You have to learn not to eat anything excessively. Moderation is the key - otherwise more and more foods get eliminated from your diet. I now eat a small piece of banana in the morning and maybe a another small piece at night - (not every day). I seem okay with this. For me quantity is critical. Too much of any one food and I am in trouble. That's just me - not necessarily true for others. Claire

tarnalberry Community Regular

I don't have a problem with bananas - but I do eat them on the 'unripe' side. Not actually green and bitter, but *just* past that stage. They've got less sugar (more complex carbs) in that state, and don't give me any problems. Once they get soft and really ripe, though, they just don't sit well with me. (A bit of a headache, sort of thing.)

CMCM Rising Star

Way back when I was getting a lot of allergy testing done for my son, I remember his allergist saying no one should eat any one food every day...that most foods should be on a 4-day cycle...especially the foods that are often allergy causing foods.

I have a friend who loved strawberries, but one spring she ate quite a lot of them, every day, and one day I guess her body just said "Enough!!" and she had a near anaphylactic attack with them and ended up in the emergency room. The doctor told her to never eat them again.

As for me and bananas, I can't eat much....just a few slices. They're very high sugar, and I don't do well with sugars or starches.

Archived