This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Are There Any Cognitive Function Tests On Line For Brain Fog ?

marciab

marciab Enthusiast

I ask because I think my brain fog is getting better, but I would like to know for sure. Or does anyone know what to do to improve cognitive function. I was tested back in 1992 by a psych, but I really can't see going to that much trouble right now.

I have been sick and content (you know what I mean) to watch tv or old movies for 16 years and now since going gluten free, I am sooooo bored with it.

Could this just be menopause related "change of life" stuff ? Or is this something others have noticed when they finally stopped eating gluten, etc. and got their stomachs under control. Well 95 %, anyway.

Thanks Marcia

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chronic Newbie

Dear Mariab.

You and I have all the same physical problems! We might be sisters sharing the same health symptoms. In addition

I have severe allergy problems that had been over looked in the past. My daugher introduced me to the

Sage testing method which has helped alot. The CFS has kept me house bound for 12 years==not full time but just about. It seems everything I tried has helped some but not enough to give back the ZEST for life

I so crave.

CHRONIC

jerseyangel Proficient

Marcia and Cronic--I fit in well with the 2 of you! I did work part-time, and even had to stop that when the Celiac went into high gear. I was sick often for over 20 years--always misdiagnosed leading to taking many unnecessary meds. My husband has a pretty high pressure job, and I was a stay at home mom to our 2 sons--so for those years, it wasn't that obvious. When they got older, I wanted to do something else, but would always choose things based on how I could 'handle it' stomach-wise. Between that, the lightheadedness and the brain fog, it was easier to just stay home most of the time. My last job, the one I had to finally quit, I loved. Now that the GI issues are mostly under control, I have also started to consider working again--probably part-time, though.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

Even when I was the sickest, I tried to do as many things as I possibly could. I didnt work outside the home then and knew I would not beable to hold down a full time job. I not only had diarrhea much of the time, but I also had panic attacks to deal with and anticapatory anxiety. I used to envy people so much--they have no idea how lucky they are to beable to just say--on Tuesday I will go to the mall. I didn't know if I could go to the mall until Tuesday came and then sometimes, once I got there the panic would set in and I would have to leave and go home. I got a divorce 7 1/2 yrs ago and had to go to work--it was really tough. The doctors had no idea what was wrong with me--it had all been in my head for years according to them. My sister was tested for celiacs and went gluten-free in March of 2001. By July, she told me to get on the diet too. I have been gluten-free now for almost 5 years. I work full time for a doctor and in over a year I have not missed one day of work. I moved 800 miles to Long Island New York and even planned a vacation to Michigan this pass December, which I took. Things do get better. I still have issues, as you might understand. I also now cant have corn or soy, tomato is out and I have peripheral neuropathy because of having celiacs for so many years without knowing. Deb

marciab Enthusiast

WOW, I'm so happy you responded. So, I am NOT imagining this. It is just so hard for me to believe that I am actually getting better on this diet !!!! My stomach is better, and that is undeniable, but the brain fog and energy are so much harder to pin down.

The fact that I found this message board and keep up with it is a good sign, but I still feel like a dummy a lot of the time.

CHRONIC - can you tell me what the Sage testing method is ?

Jerseyangel - I noticed that you and I are the same age. Happy belated birthday !

Deb - I am really impressed that you are able to work full time.

Thanks again Marcia

chronic Newbie

The Sage test is done with blood. I had mine done by a chiropractor in Colorado Springs. You can find a web site but it was TOO expensive. Good Luck. Chronic.

DonnaD Apprentice

Marcia,

I'm glad you are starting to feel better.

My brain fog is SO much better gluten-free. My energy levels have really gone up too. My Fibro pain is down from a 7/10 to about 2/10 most days too. I do have some outstanding issues I want to rule in/out thyroid (there is a lot of research that points to fibro symptoms actually being caused/an effect of low thyroid and responding to thyroid meds and this also linked to gluten/coeliac) etc but compared to where I was 6 months ago I feel wonderful! I am planning our wedding in the Autumn (I need to lose 28lbs!!) , moving house and actually looking forward to being busy :)

Donna

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

kristing Newbie

I am a 25 year old college student (it's taken me so long because of the brain fog and other problems with celiac disease, as you guys have experienced). i started having seizures about 4 years ago, and last year they got so bad, doctors began testing for brain tumors, epilepsy, etc etc. i did my own research and found celiac disease, made an appointment with a gastroenterologist and was diagnosed officially last summer. i'm still suffering from fatigue, seizures, horrible headaches, other problems, so i found a doctor near my school. i have to get another biopsy to see if it's because i'm not healing or if there are other problems. i definitely relate to all of you, and i'm inspired to hear that it can get better...thank you.

Archived