This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rash On My Belly

ebrbetty

ebrbetty Rising Star

I get this red, very itchy rash on my belly a few times a year.drs have no idea why. it starts on one side, stays in that spot a couple days,l I scratch like crazy, sometimes till it bleeds then it moves over a bit..till it gets all the way across to the other side..weird!

there are no blisters..just red and very very itchy and scaly

any ideas?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Robbin

Once again, I get this too! I have for years, off and on. Sometimes even spreads to entire body. When I first started the gluten-free diet, I had it across my abdomen and after 2 wks gluten-free, it went away. I haven't had it since going gluten-free, and I hope it never returns. It didn't have blisters either and itched like CRAZY. Hot showers sent me into a shiver-fit of intense itching. I hope you find some relief soon. Take care,

:)

sparkles Contributor

A year ago fall and winter, I had a horrible rash on my abdomin. By the time, I visited the doc, it was a bloody mess and he was sure that it was DH. He did a biopsy and sent me home with antibiotics, antihystamines, and told me to use lots of cortisone on it until I could stop the itching. He even called me from Hawaii (I live in MN) to see how I was doing and also to let me know that the DH biopsy came back inconclusive because he was unable to find a spot that I hadn't scratched. I use a cortisone spray on a regular basis. My stomach has gotten better but now have the itchies on my legs. I tested positive for a milk allergy but think that the rash is more than just that. I don't think that it is DH as I never have seen blisters but I think it is related to the celiac disease somehow. The doc assured me that the cortisone won't hurt me and when it gets really bad I take the antihistamines and I sleep the itch away!!! But still no answer as to what causes it...but it seems to get worse in the fall and lessen in the spring....maybe something to do with the furnace....tried getting the furnace ducts cleaned but still broke out again last fall. this year the rash got the worse on my lower legs mostly near the ankles. The rash is really itchy and hot water makes it worse. It is hard to take cold showers in winter!! But the cortisone does give me relief but I am tired of the bleeding. It looks so gross. I know that I should go back to doc but at this point I am so tired of docs that I would rather just treat it at home..... good luck!!!!!

Guest Robbin

Just thought I'd add--I use a product called "Itch-X" bright yellow tube. It gives relief but burns the raw areas. (I've always considered the burning worth it 'cause it itches soooo bad. I hope I don't get it back, but it helped me before. I hate using the cortisone creme, but I know how bad it itches, and have had to use it in desperation. Drives you nuts, huh? It has got to be linked to celiac. My neighbor years ago, had terrible skin rashes and she used liquid antacids on it. It didn't help me much, but it's worth a try if you don't want to use the rx stuff- :) Mylanta is what she used, I think. ( I know, I thought it weird too, but maybe it will help! :) )

Pegster Apprentice

I get this off and on throughout the year, too. I showed my dermatologist, and , although I actually DO have DH- he didn't think this around the waist rash was related. I don't know what to think. I use a spray itch relief gel which calms it down for a while as well as steroid ointments. I also take Benadryl to knock me out at night so I can sleep. Just as I think I can't stand it anymore, it disappears. It doesn't seem related to my diet, which has been gluten-free for nearly 2 years. I sometimes think it's the gluten left over from 40 years of living inside me trying to get out! Some things my dermatologist suggested: Elastic and spandex seem to set me off, if elastic gets bleached, it releases chemicals which can irritate skin. A loofah can get grungy with bacteria from sitting around in a warm shower all the time, Soaps, detergents, etc. can cause irritation. If it IS dh- avoid iodine and anti-inflammatory drugs to see if that helps.

Guest Robbin
I get this off and on throughout the year, too. I showed my dermatologist, and , although I actually DO have DH- he didn't think this around the waist rash was related. I don't know what to think. I use a spray itch relief gel which calms it down for a while as well as steroid ointments. I also take Benadryl to knock me out at night so I can sleep. Just as I think I can't stand it anymore, it disappears. It doesn't seem related to my diet, which has been gluten-free for nearly 2 years. I sometimes think it's the gluten left over from 40 years of living inside me trying to get out! Some things my dermatologist suggested: Elastic and spandex seem to set me off, if elastic gets bleached, it releases chemicals which can irritate skin. A loofah can get grungy with bacteria from sitting around in a warm shower all the time, Soaps, detergents, etc. can cause irritation. If it IS dh- avoid iodine and anti-inflammatory drugs to see if that helps.

Sorry -me again- Does aspirin cause DH to get worse? I'm wondering since I also quit taking aspirin when I went gluten-free. Could that be a connection too? Elastic and nylon make mine worse too. Also, microwave loofahs for 25 seconds-kills bacteria.

Pegster Apprentice

I'm not sure about the aspirin connection. I have only seen that Aleve and ibuprofen seem to make my flare ups work.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived