This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

gluten-free Yogurt?

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Okay so we found out in the other thread that my wimpy 20cent/ea yogurt only has TWO live cultures in it, so since we on anti-botics here right now, what normal-store findable (Esply a Krogers!) brands are gluten-free and good? I do not want plain*ewww!), perfer flavored with fruit. :D

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

penguin Community Regular
Okay so we found out in the other thread that my wimpy 20cent/ea yogurt only has TWO live cultures in it, so since we on anti-botics here right now, what normal-store findable (Esply a Krogers!) brands are gluten-free and good? I do not want plain*ewww!), perfer flavored with fruit. :D

Thanks!

Told ya to eat the good stuff! ;)

Stonyfield Organic can be found in your local Kroger. It has inulin in it but I looked at their website and it comes from chicory root. It has at SIX LIVE cultures! (Yummy flavors too, including smoothies)

Open Original Shared Link

If you happen to get to a health food store, Cascade Fresh has 8 cultures...(also yummy)

VydorScope Proficient
Told ya to eat the good stuff! ;)

Stonyfield Organic can be found in your local Kroger. It has inulin in it but I looked at their website and it comes from chicory root. It has at SIX LIVE cultures! (Yummy flavors too, including smoothies)

Open Original Shared Link

If you happen to get to a health food store, Cascade Fresh has 8 cultures...(also yummy)

Thanks! I will check out Stonyfield :)

jerseyangel Proficient

When I used to eat dairy, I loved Stoneyfield Farms! The Vanilla and the Strawberry flavors are really good. Good for your wife while taking the antibiotics--it has the good bacteria in it.

VydorScope Proficient

Now just need eat up all the wimpy yogurt we bought LOL

VydorScope Proficient

Intresting note on thier site:

Does your plain, organic yogurt contain gluten?

Two Stonyfield products, Yo Baby Plus Cereal Yogurt and Brownie Sundae Premium Ice Cream, do contain gluten. All other Stonyfield yogurt products, frozen yogurt, and ice cream do not contain any gluten source ingredients. We do not add gluten to our products; however, some of the natural flavors used to make our products may have used a grain alcohol in the extraction process.

We are still in the process of learning more about Celiac disease and have been told that some individuals are sensitive to even miniscule amounts of gluten. We have difficulty answering questions because we are concerned about giving out information to individuals who have unique and sensitive health issues without the person going through their doctor, especially since the outcome could be very serious.

Moongirl Community Regular

Becareful of the flavored ones...this is right from the website

Does your yogurt contain gluten?

Our nonfat, lowfat and whole milk plain yogurts do not contain any gluten source ingredients. We do not add gluten to our products; however, some of the natural flavors used to make our products may contain gluten-derived stabilizers.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

...and now I remember why I eat the stuff that says gluten free on the cup :rolleyes:

I don't know what other brands are safe in kroger. Sorry :(

Is cascade confirmed gluten-free? the flavored ones too?

Is cascade confirmed gluten-free? the flavored ones too?

They say gluten free on the cup itself, all flavors, and they don't use ANYTHING artificial. They also culture the yogurt in the cup. Here's what the cup says (I'm about to eat it :lol: ):

"This yogurt was cultured right in this cup, slowly, with more active clutures, to enhance the nutritional benefits and create the satisfying flavor you'll prefer over others. You'll find no artificial ingredients and no preservatives here. Yogurt can be made twice as fast in big batches, but then it wouldn't be as good, would it? Cascade Fresh: Activate your life"

The ingredients in this Boysenberry cup are:

CONTAINS: Grade A pasteurized nonfat milk, fruit juice concentrate, boysenberries, tapioca, pectin, natural flavors, active cultures GLUTEN FREE

You can call them at (800)511-0057

I haven't had a reaction.

wow i just got the quickest email ever about gluten-free products :) Here is their response

Thank you for contacting Cascade Fresh yogurt. Our yogurt is all natural and contains no preservatives, refined sugar, artificial sweeteners, colors, flavors or additives. Our yogurt is sweetened with fruit juice concentrate and neither the fruit nor the fruit juice concentrate contains preservatives or refined sugar.

We have a letter from our fruit supplier that certifies our fruits to be gluten and wheat free. Therefore, all of our yogurts are gluten free. For a stabilizer we use a small amount of tapioca, which comes from the cassava root, and pectin, which comes from apples. The fruit juice concentrate is made from pineapples, peaches, pears, and apples.

In May 2002 Cascade Fresh was added to the 7th edition of the Celiac Sprue Association’s (CSA/USA, Inc) Commercial Products Guide as being a company that provides gluten-free products. Here is more information on this organization:

Celiac Sprue Association

PO Box 31700

Omaha, NB 68131-0700

Phone: (402) 558-0600

Fax: (402) 558-1347

celiacs@csaceliacs.org

www.csaceliacs.org

Thank you for your interest and support.

Sincerely,

Laurie Erickson

Customer Relations Department

VydorScope Proficient
...and now I remember why I eat the stuff that says gluten free on the cup :rolleyes:

I don't know what other brands are safe in kroger. Sorry :(

Bah! Not Nice! I'll just stick with my gluten-free 2 cluture ones then (all Kroger Brand Yogurt is gluten-free per a phone call to them.)

wow i just got the quickest email ever about gluten-free products :)

You know, I may never eat another brand of yogurt. :wub:

Not with quality assurance like that!

And I'm serious, it's yummy :lol:

VydorScope Proficient
You know, I may never eat another brand of yogurt. :wub:

Not with quality assurance like that!

And I'm serious, it's yummy :lol:

Probably costs 4 times my yearly income per ouce! :(

tarnalberry Community Regular

yeah, when I was eating dairy, cascade fresh was one of my favorites.

you might also try picking up some kefir.

skinnyminny Enthusiast

I eat the Lite Kroger brand yogurt or the carb master, neither one because of trying to lose weight but they do not list any ingridents containing gluten that I see, I have not had a reaction yet and they are really good and cheap! 5 for $2.

Probably costs 4 times my yearly income per ouce! :(

Well, it's not 5/$1 Kroger brand...

I pay about .69 for a container. Yoplait at HEB is like, .48 so it's not THAT big a difference. Esp. since it's got a lot more health benefit, about 4x in cultures alone! :ph34r:

I'm a poor non-profit worker and DH is a grad student, but we manage to afford it. But he eats yoplait, he can have gluten :P

You're paying for sugar and extra stabilizers in cheap yogurt...yuck ;)

Mango04 Enthusiast
You're paying for sugar and extra stabilizers in cheap yogurt...yuck ;)

That's so true! If you spend a little bit more on higher quality food now, it will pay off big time for you in the long run. :)

KayJay Enthusiast

Is Yoplait safe to eat? I know you are saying it isn't as beneficial but I though it was all gluten-free? I always get sick after eating it so I don't eat it much but I do always try it.

VydorScope Proficient

Well the cost realy does not matter, if I cant find it at the grocery store. :( Its major deal to hike out to Wild Oats, and theres realy no other health food place around. I guess I will just have ot examine each one, then come home and look up the gluten info. Was hoping not to have ot go through all that. heh. :(

Is Yoplait safe to eat? I know you are saying it isn't as beneficial but I though it was all gluten-free? I always get sick after eating it so I don't eat it much but I do always try it.

Yoplait is a General Mills company, and that means if the ingredients are safe then the product is as far as I know.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

The dietician I saw just told us that Stonyfield Farms has more probiotics in it than any other brand of yogurt, and is gluten-free (at least the plain -- that's all I use, because I add my own fruit). Hope it helps . . . . Lynne

Candy Contributor

I don't eat the yogurts with too many live raw germs in them-they make me feel sick like I cought a stomach virus or something.I don't eat them.I avoid them but I do eat the store brand yogurts and La Yogurt.Oh and Activa -it's new They were half price at my local mart-so I tried them ,they're supposed to regulate your digestive tract and stay in the small intestine for days.

jaten Enthusiast

Vydorscope, I also shop Kroger. We may have to compare notes more frequently. For "flavored" yogurt, I buy Yoplait Light. Both the Light and the "regular" are supposed to be gluten free. I have to go slowly with dairy, just re-introducing it, but it seems to not cause any more problems than any dairy.

Ok, that's in answer to your question about flavored yogurt at Kroger.

I'll add a personal addendum:

I also have just recently started buying Lifeway's lowfat, plain Kefir also from Kroger (gluten-free). Kefir is supposedly a really good for you probiotic, and Dr. Perricone lists this particular brand as one of the superfoods in two of his books.

I drink about 8 oz/day and after just a couple of weeks, I do feel better. (And even if it's all in your mind, feeling better is a good thing.)

Does Kefir take some getting used to? For me it did. After only a couple of days though, I really began to like it. I don't know what I was expecting; it's thicker than buttermilk, but thinner than yogurt. Shake it really well, or you may find clumps. Sometimes I mix it with my Enjoy Life granola. Other times I drink it plain or with chopped fresh fruit.

I was just diagnosed in Dec. and I know that my gut still has a long way to go in the healing process. I'm willing to do whatever to aid the healing. We've all felt bad and lacked necessary nutrients long enough, eh?

I don't eat the yogurts with too many live raw germs in them-they make me feel sick like I cought a stomach virus or something.I don't eat them.I avoid them but I do eat the store brand yogurts and La Yogurt.Oh and Activa -it's new They were half price at my local mart-so I tried them ,they're supposed to regulate your digestive tract and stay in the small intestine for days.

Sorry, this statement struck me as odd. Is the "live raw germs" a mental thing? Because the Activa you bought is chalk full of the "germs" you're talking about. Live cultures (good bacteria) are what make yogurt yogurt, and they're also found in your digestive tract. When you have D or are on antibiotics, the good bacteria get flushed out or killed. When you eat yogurt, it repopulates your digestive tract with those beneficial bacteria that help you digest food.

Activa is a marketing strategy by Dannon to sell more yogurt, all yogurt can help regulate your digestive tract. A lot of yogurts has the "bifidus" strain Dannon claims to have exclusively. They just patented the name on a very specific strain they cultured. It's also found naturally in the large intestine. It's like the bc pill seasonale, it was a ploy to sell more pills and have a new patent, because the patent on desogen ran out. Seasonale is just desogen packaged differently.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I don't eat the yogurts with too many live raw germs in them-they make me feel sick like I cought a stomach virus or something.I don't eat them.

Raw germs?? The bacteria is in all yogurt and its good for you. You have colonies of those bacteria living in your digestive tract right now. You need them for good health.

Archived