Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest cassidy

Hidden Gluten

Guest cassidy

I thought I was doing a good job of finding all the hidden gluten, but I wasn't. My herbal tea now has a "contains trace amounts of wheat" label. It is Salada decaf red berry green tea, for any other tea drinkers. Now I'm wondering if there are other things I've not even considered. I've checked all my cosmetics & toiletries and changed a few of those. We have separate pots and pans just because we both had a set when we got married and we both prefer our own. I am still getting myself sick and I can't figure out why. Where did you finally find your last bit of gluten?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Guest nini

Lemondade... some cloudy lemondade mixes have gluten in them (I can't remember the brand, it was a generic)

Generic Soda from the Dollar General store... YIKES!

unless you can verify ingredients with the company, I now avoid GENERICS!!!

Publix grocery store has a great list of all of there generic store brand products that are gluten-free.

Where did you finally find your last bit of gluten?

In my pet foods and can opener. I bought a new people only can opener and now check pet food labels as well as human. Wheat is the first or third ingredient in most of them, why?

Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying

"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002

Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis

All bold resoved or went into remission in time with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002

Gene Test Aug 2007

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

certain lunchmeats (like roast beef)

condiments (butter, mayo) in my fridge that were used with gluten foods (we now have separates)

my main one is not a label----but cross contamination through eating out. I have less than a handful of places that I can eat at anymore, I am so sensitive.

good luck!!!!

Of all things...my dh's mustache. He's a beer drinker and it took me forever to figure out that was the gluten source.

As for the pet food, I use rubber gloves when handling, especially at the barn.

Of all things...my dh's mustache. He's a beer drinker and it took me forever to figure out that was the gluten source.

Ha ha--that was funny :) But I'm sure it wasn't at the time! (You have a barn--and animals?)

For me, my MAC lip conditioner was a source of hidden gluten.

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005

dairy-free

Ha ha--that was funny :) But I'm sure it wasn't at the time! (You have a barn--and animals?)

My dh didn't want to believe that it could be him. Ha Ha. I don't have a barn. I ride horses and I sometimes help my trainer feed when I'm at her barn. I do have a red merle Australian shepherd by the name of Boomer...and of all things he's bit wheat sensitive. Good to know about the MAC lip conditioner.

What?!?!!? :o

Does the other MAC stuff have gluten??!

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

Let us not forget the dry roasted nuts.

Danielle (Dani)

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease by Dr. Green (gene HLA DQ8) 1/05/06

Diagnosed: Gluten Sensitive through enterolab 11/17/05

Diagnosed: Casein Sensitive through enterolab 3/7/06

Diagnosed: Interstitial Cystitis (IC) 07/26/06

I finally put my picture on because it doesn't look like I'll be eating ANY cake on my Wedding day..........I'm the one in the middle.

Intolerant to: (besides gluten)

Casein

Peanuts (can handle very small amounts)

Any kind of additives or preservatives

Chelsea-

Yes, some of their other products do have gluten...as well as many other makeup companies. Unfortunately, I can't recall which products exactly. One of two of MAC's lipstick types definitely have gluten in them--wheat germ oil I believe. If you e-mail them they can provide you with ingredient lists of the products you are using. Oh, just did a search back to when I called and got info on MAC. You may want to ck again but go here to view-I'm the 1st response: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...aded&show=&st=&

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

Chelsea-

Yes, some of their other products do have gluten...as well as many other makeup companies. Unfortunately, I can't recall which products exactly. One of two of MAC's lipstick types definitely have gluten in them--wheat germ oil I believe. If you e-mail them they can provide you with ingredient lists of the products you are using. Oh, just did a search back to when I called and got info on MAC. You may want to ck again but go here to view-I'm the 1st response: http://www.glutenfreeforum.com/index.php?s...aded&show=&st=&

Thanks! I don't want to give up mac! I hope the viva glam is gluten-free, I like the charity aspect.

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

I'm not sure about that one, but I would definitely check--don't want you licking any gluten off your lips!

~~~~~~~

Jen

Indianapolis, IN

dairy-free

Aveda lipstick. I love it, and because it contains peppermint oil, would lick my lips, because it tasted good!

Lynne

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I'll try tomorrow".

"There's not a word yet, for old friends we've just met. Part Heaven, part space, or have I found my place? You can just visit, but I plan to stay, I'm going to go back there some day." Gonzo, in the Muppet Movie

In my pet foods and can opener. I bought a new people only can opener and now check pet food labels as well as human. Wheat is the first or third ingredient in most of them, why?

To make them cheaper. :(

The pet foods that I've seen that are not this way are expensive.

My hidden source is labels - grrrrr. Generic terms like spices, ____ oil, ____ extract have all caused me problems.

Also, how's this one for you all - b/c we have to worry about things like stickers and glue, what about the stickers and sticker residue on fruits.....??? Scary..... I don't know if these have gluten, but I just realized that these have the potential to be a source.

The temple bell stops

but the sound keeps coming

out of the flowers

-Zen Haiku Master Basho

Its funny--I was wondering about the labels on the fruit, too. I just wash it off real well, but cutting it out is a great idea.

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

I just found out that MAC Brush Cleanser has some kind of wheat stuff in it. It's a good thing I never used it to wash my makeup brushes.

I'm still grossed out by the fact that preshredded cheese has flour. Ew. That would stop me from eating it even before going gluten-free.

Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003

Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)

Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)

Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy

Aveda lipstick. I love it, and because it contains peppermint oil, would lick my lips, because it tasted good!

oh no...are you kidding me?!?!?! i use aveda products exclusively...do you know what else of theirs contains gluten? what about their lipsaver chapstick? please tell me thats clean...it the only chapstick thats ever worked to keep my lips from cracking, and wont completely demolish my oboe reeds if i forget to wipe it off before i play...*freaking out here* :blink::o

angie

Pretty well all of aveda products contain some form of wheat. All of their hair products do.

Rusla

Asthma-1969

wheat/ dairy allergies, lactose/casein intolerance-1980

Multiple food, environmental allergies

allergic to all antibiotics except sulpha

Rheumitoid arthritis,Migraine headaches,TMJ- 1975

fibromyalgia-1995

egg allergy-1997

msg allergy,gall bladder surgery-1972

Skin Biopsy positive DH-Dec.1 2005, confirmed celiac disease

gluten-free totally since Nov. 28, 2005

Hashimoto's Hypothyroidism- 2005

Pernicious Anemia 1999 (still anemic on and off.)

Osteoporosis Aug. 2006

Creative people need maids.

The biggest shocker that i've had yes not including twizzlers.............IHOP and other places put pancake batter in their egg mix....you'd think you'd be safe with eggs but NO they put this in their eggs to make their omletes look fluffier.........

i never understood why i got sick......even cater places do this so be careful!

oh no...are you kidding me?!?!?! i use aveda products exclusively...do you know what else of theirs contains gluten? what about their lipsaver chapstick? please tell me thats clean...it the only chapstick thats ever worked to keep my lips from cracking, and wont completely demolish my oboe reeds if i forget to wipe it off before i play...*freaking out here* :blink::o

angie

I don't think the rosemary mint shampoo/conditioner have wheat, but you'll have to check for sure. I might have only looked on one out of two bottles. Their shampure line does have wheat. :(

I really like the shea butter lipbalm from l'Occitane. I got it at Sephora. It's like $10/stick but it's SO NICE. A cheaper version that really works is the Vitamin E stick from Reviva labs. I got that at whole foods for a few dollars.

Gluten free since Feb 2006, Dairy and Soy free since 2009

Anemic off and on since 2003

Negative tTG Ab, IgA, Gliadin Ab IgA, wheat allergy (IgE) blood tests (Feb 2006)

Positive wheat allergy skin test(Apr 2006)and dietary response (Feb 2006)

Celiac grandmother (Dx in 1940s, "grew out of it")

Training for my first triathlon to support the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America.

~Amy