This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hidden Gluten

Guest cassidy

debmidge Rising Star

Bullion cubes - just a minor inconvenience but really relied on them in cooking.

Chicken and beef stock in cans (College Inn) - still haven't found a gluten-free brand yet of either of these things.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kevsmom Contributor
I just found out that MAC Brush Cleanser has some kind of wheat stuff in it. It's a good thing I never used it to wash my makeup brushes.

I'm still grossed out by the fact that preshredded cheese has flour. Ew. That would stop me from eating it even before going gluten-free.

I buy the Kraft Natural Shredded Fat Free Cheddar Cheese all the time (it's great in taco and chef's salads). It specifically states that it uses potato starch, cellulose powder and calcium sulfate to prevent caking.

Cindy

teankerbell Apprentice

In make up! That is really frustrating!

:angry:

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

debmidge..

I see you are from NJ.. as am I, you can get Swanson Chicken Broth and it is gluten free. I use it all the time. And for boullion use Herb Ox, that is gluten free and it says so right on the container. You can get both of these products at your local ShopRite. I know that for sure. I hope this helps you!

Tinkerbell

penguin Community Regular
Pretty well all of aveda products contain some form of wheat. All of their hair products do.

I get my hair cut/colored at Aveda!! :o

This is veeerrrry bad news for me :(

I guessed as much though, since all of thier stuff is all natural.

That explains why my scalp always goes through a molting period after coloring...

ravenwoodglass Mentor

That explains why my scalp always goes through a molting period after coloring...

Your lucky it is only your scalp and not your hair also. When I color I use Colorspa by L'oreal, it is a semipermanent color they also make a couple permanent colors that are gluten-free but I would call and double check to be sure. You could ask your salon to maybe get in somethig that is safe?

pumpkin Rookie

I wonder if this is true for Rediken color. I had color done a week ago and my scalp has itched since then not to mention my hair if falling out more noticeably than usual. This was the first time I had colored since my diagnosis :(

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

munchkinette Collaborator
I don't think the rosemary mint shampoo/conditioner have wheat, but you'll have to check for sure. I might have only looked on one out of two bottles. Their shampure line does have wheat. :(

OK, I checked. The rosemary mint conditioner DOES have wheat amino acids but the rosemary mint shampoo is ok. I'm not sure how old those bottles are, so the formula may be different.

happy4dolphins Enthusiast

Well, I'm still learning about where and what the gluten is in. But one thing that has stood out for me the last several weeks, like after making the kids lunches, especially if it's pbj, I lick my fingers if there's pb! :) Seems like I do that more then I realized.

Nicole

erin24 Explorer

I saw 2 people post something about dry roasted nuts. Can anyone confirm dry roasted nutes have gluten b/c I JUST ate a TON of them. I thought I would be safe with nuts.

angielackner Contributor

i'm wondering if my stylist will let me bring in my own shampoo and stuff...i've been going to her since i was 9...and she runs an aveda salon...so she cant order in anything besides aveda. hmmmm...i'm due for a hair cut this month...ughhhh. i usually dye my own hair though, and have always gotten itchy while its in...always permanant dye...and i've been doing it for 15 years...i dont get other issues though...how many hair dyes have gluten i wonder???

angie

munchkinette Collaborator

I was wondering about that too. My stylist uses a lot of Sebastian stuff, and I know the shampoo has wheat. I thought the problem with those products was that a small amount of suds gets on your face in the shower, and possibly ingested. It seems like that wouldn't be an issue when the stylist is washing your hair in the sink.

jerseyangel Proficient

When I go in for a cut, I now just have the stylist rinse my hair with water. I take a shower in the AM and wash my hair, so it's clean. I also request that no products be used. My stylist dosen't mind at all and said that several other people request 'no products' because that is just their preference. I doubt very much that a stylist would mind it if you brought your own shampoo. Also, I verified by phone that Loreal's Feria color is gluten free.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I just checked the Avon site and I don't see any gluten ingredients in the Glazewear - did someone get other information they could pass on to me? Hate to throw it all out - but certainly paranoid now :blink:

Watch Bed Head products too - there was three forms of wheat in the shampoo alone as well as the thickening lotion! I use L'oreal now.

penguin Community Regular

In the safe looking cornmeal I just bought. Definite gluten reaction from my cornbread, and that was the only new thing. I seriously doubt it was the tinkyada.

Bob's Red Mill did the same thing.

Why is it every time I make something yummy and normal I get glutened, when I know all other ingredients and tools are safe? :(

CMCM Rising Star
I just checked the Avon site and I don't see any gluten ingredients in the Glazewear - did someone get other information they could pass on to me? Hate to throw it all out - but certainly paranoid now :blink:

Watch Bed Head products too - there was three forms of wheat in the shampoo alone as well as the thickening lotion! I use L'oreal now.

If you have particular Avon products you want to check out, email Avon and ask them. I sent them a question about their Anew eyelift cream, and they got back to me in one day saying it was gluten free.

Here's the email address for Avon:

dearavon@avon.com

Rad3737 Rookie

HONEY CASHEWS. Have been gluten free since Nov. 1, 2005 OR so I thought. Love the little bag of honey cashews I've been purchasing often for months. Today felt the desire to check out the calorie count / and amount of carbs., and out of the corner of my eye saw: WHEAT STARCH and MALTODEXTRIN. Am sure my eyes popped open, mouth dropped, and a loud growl emerged. Couldn't believe it . . . and here thought I was being almost saintly in my quest for a gluten free way-of-life. Darn those hidden glutens anyway.

Dianna

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

Sorry to hear that Rad, that your cashews have wheat starch in them. BUT maltodextrin is a safe ingredient. Dextrin, unless you know the source, is not. I think that is correct anyway. Please anyone can check me on this.. I believe it is right

Tinkerbell

kari Apprentice
HONEY CASHEWS. Have been gluten free since Nov. 1, 2005 OR so I thought. Love the little bag of honey cashews I've been purchasing often for months. Today felt the desire to check out the calorie count / and amount of carbs., and out of the corner of my eye saw: WHEAT STARCH and MALTODEXTRIN. Am sure my eyes popped open, mouth dropped, and a loud growl emerged. Couldn't believe it . . . and here thought I was being almost saintly in my quest for a gluten free way-of-life. Darn those hidden glutens anyway.

Dianna

wheat starch you can't have, but maltodextrin does not have any gluten in it, so at least it's only half as bad as you thought it was :huh:

kristing Newbie

surprise!!!!

-communion wafers

-veggie burgers (yes, even without the bun)

-gluten free food cooked in the same water (pasta) or oil (deep fried foods, like mozzerella sticks)

-envelopes/stamps

-imitation seafood

-toothpaste/mouthwash (ask your dentist what they're using in your mouth!)

maltodextrin is safe in American products, check the source when buying imported products. download the forbidden list of ingredients from this site, print it out, and carry it with you. my boyfriend has a copy on his refridgerator. when in doubt, check it. if you're still in doubt, contact the company.

Dianna

for some reason that reminds me: if you think something is gluten free because you checked it before, don't count on it being gluten free the next time you buy it. what cereal company is it who is now adding wheat to ALL of it's cereals, just to make them more healthy? always check labels, even if you've purchased it before!!! so frustrating...

McDougall Apprentice
I thought I was doing a good job of finding all the hidden gluten, but I wasn't. My herbal tea now has a "contains trace amounts of wheat" label. It is Salada decaf red berry green tea, for any other tea drinkers. Now I'm wondering if there are other things I've not even considered. I've checked all my cosmetics & toiletries and changed a few of those. We have separate pots and pans just because we both had a set when we got married and we both prefer our own. I am still getting myself sick and I can't figure out why. Where did you finally find your last bit of gluten?

Viniger including some distilled vinigers in products. Also distilled alcohol, I have no faith in distilled viniger or alcohol anymore. Things like mayo, ketchup, whiskey and other items with "distilled vinigers and alcohol" I do not injest anymore. I trust very few "prepared" products at all anymore.

Guest cassidy
wheat starch you can't have, but maltodextrin does not have any gluten in it, so at least it's only half as bad as you thought it was :huh:

The salada tea that made me start this post said it had traces of wheat from maltodextrin and fish something (I forgot that part and already returned the tea). So, at least they listed it, and I don't know if this is made in the US, but that maltodextrin contained wheat according to the label.

lovegrov Collaborator

"Things like mayo, ketchup, whiskey and other items with "distilled vinigers and alcohol" I do not injest anymore. I trust very few "prepared" products at all anymore."

Even if you make the decision to avoid distilled vinegar that comes from wheat, virtually none does. If all distilled vinegar seems to bother you, that has nothing at all to do with gluten. Avoiding prepared foods is another matter.

"I don't know if this is made in the US, but that maltodextrin contained wheat according to the label."

Even before the new labeling law, maltodextrin with wheat had to be clearly listed in foods in the U.S. It didn't matter where the food or maltodextrin was made, the wheat had to be listed.

richard

Guest BERNESES

I think the biggest shocker I got was gluten in Tropicana lemonade and then in a ginger tea that I had been drinking for years to settle my stomach. Yikes!

Also, that some medications do contain gluten. I think it's lame that any medication at all would contain a major allergen. Duh! I know there aren't a lot but there are some.

minibabe Contributor
I think the biggest shocker I got was gluten in Tropicana lemonade and then in a ginger tea that I had been drinking for years to settle my stomach. Yikes!

Also, that some medications do contain gluten. I think it's lame that any medication at all would contain a major allergen. Duh! I know there aren't a lot but there are some.

Some medications......no one can say that they are stricktly gluten-free because they change suppliers all the time. It is really frustrating.

TROPICANA LEMONADE!!!!! WHAT OMG I am so glad that I did not buy that the other night. :blink:

Are there any other drinks that are not gluten-free?

Amanda NY

Archived