This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... Ɨ
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

If Iā€™m getting sick, and then eat gluten.....

Litty

Litty Newbie

Would this boost my immune system and potentially prevent me from getting sick?Ā šŸ˜ƒĀ I am celiac...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyclinglady Grand Master

No. Ā I think you are talking about COVID-19. Ā Celiacs who are managing their treatment (gluten free diet) well, do not have a higher risk of having a poor outcome with COVID. Ā  Those who have autoimmune disorders (like lupus, Crohnā€™s, etc.) andĀ Ā are being treated with immunosuppressants are at more risk. Ā Celiacs who react pretty fast to gluten exposures are found to have increasedĀ cytokines in the gut. Ā Now COVID researchers are finding that very ill patients are having cytokine storms causing blood clots that can impact the brain, heart, liver,Ā and lungs. Ā 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/01/health/coronavirus-cytokine-storm-immune-system.html

I think you are mixing up autoimmune vs a normal immune response. Ā Eat Ā gluten as a celiac and your body may be too busy attacking your small intestine to defend itself from COVID. Ā 

If you want to have the best chance of survivingĀ COVID 19, you can do a few things. Ā 1. Ā Stay gluten free, 2. Ā Get lots of sleep, 3. Increase your vitamin D, by going in theĀ sun for a few minutes each day or taking a normal recommended dose of Vitamin D, 3. Wear a mask and physical distance (may helpĀ reduce the viral load), 4. Ā Wash your hands, and Ā 6.Ā Ā if you are under 55 and are obese, lose weight! Ā 

If you do not believe me, ask your doctor. Ā He or she knows you and your health history. Ā 
Ā 

Stay safe. Ā 
Ā 

Learn more:

https://www.benaroyaresearch.org/blog/post/covid-19-coronavirus-11-things-people-autoimmune-disease-should-know#

Ā 

Edited by cyclinglady
Scott Adams Grand Master

Interesting question because those with celiac disease have an immune system that seems to be over active. Iā€™ve not seen any studies in the past 20 years that support the idea that triggering your immune system by eating gluten could prevent other infectious diseases. Itā€™s not impossible, but I tend to doubt it.