This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More On My Yogurt Quest

VydorScope

VydorScope Proficient

Okay my store has:

Kroger Brand - 2 cultures - gluten-free as per our call to them a coupl months ago.

Breyers - deos not state how many cultures

Yopliat - 3 clutures - gluten-free status unknonw, but its a General Mills Company

Wieght Watchers - Unknown thier website does not allow non-windows access

Horzins - FIVE cultures, but natural flavors "may" contain gluten.

Soooooooooo thats what I got to work with. Okay all you yogurt experts, what you say? :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Vincent--since I've been off dairy for the past couple of years, I can't help ya. Good luck, though on your quest :D

debbiewil Rookie

Vincent,

I believe the Yoplait are all gluten free except for the obvious, like granola topping. I know several people on this board swear by yoplait. I just get plain and add my own fruit - just done that for years, since I ate yogurt before it was popular - I made my own (and still do sometimes) back in the sixties. So when I started eating yogurt they didn't have all those flavors, and I never really got into them.

Debbie

Becky6 Enthusiast

I eat Yoplait light all of the time! They are yummy!

VydorScope Proficient

Well I like the Kroger ones (and the price 5/$1 is great!!!) but the yogurt experts here tell me that 2 cultures is fiarly wimpy and I should have one with at least 4 or 6 or better yet 500000000000000000000001 ! :huh::o:D

hkeener Newbie

What about Dannon Yogurt? I eat it and don't seem to have problems...

penguin Community Regular
Well I like the Kroger ones (and the price 5/$1 is great!!!) but the yogurt experts here tell me that 2 cultures is fiarly wimpy and I should have one with at least 4 or 6 or better yet 500000000000000000000001 ! :huh::o:D

Actually, my yogurt has 500000000000000000000003 cultures, but who's counting? :P

For now, yoplait is probably your best choice, though I did find this article about Breyer's yogurt:

Open Original Shared Link

So be on the lookout for that...

I'm getting conflicting information about who makes it, it's on a Kraft FAQ, but says it's owned by Unilever...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

VydorScope Proficient

Dannon siad they might have gluten in the natural flaovrs, and will not disclose which do/dont. So I will not bring them in myhouse. :huh:

barbara3675 Rookie

Blue Bunny Light 85 is gluten-free and tasty---sweetened with Splenda. Has fruit flavors. Pick and Save has it all the time and I see it at other stores as well. Barbara

VydorScope Proficient
Blue Bunny Light 85 is gluten-free and tasty---sweetened with Splenda. Has fruit flavors. Pick and Save has it all the time and I see it at other stores as well. Barbara

Thanks, but thats not offered in my store, only the ones I listed (cept forgot Danon) are my choices. :(

tarnalberry Community Regular
Okay my store has:

Kroger Brand - 2 cultures - gluten-free as per our call to them a coupl months ago.

Breyers - deos not state how many cultures

Yopliat - 3 clutures - gluten-free status unknonw, but its a General Mills Company

Wieght Watchers - Unknown thier website does not allow non-windows access

Horzins - FIVE cultures, but natural flavors "may" contain gluten.

Soooooooooo thats what I got to work with. Okay all you yogurt experts, what you say? :D

Probiotics and kefir. ;-) Most kefir's I've seen have more than 2 or 3 cultures. I believe Cascade Fresh had 4?

penguin Community Regular
Probiotics and kefir. ;-) Most kefir's I've seen have more than 2 or 3 cultures. I believe Cascade Fresh had 4?

Cascade Fresh has a whopping EIGHT live cultures :o

VydorScope Proficient

What is Kefir?????

Guest cassidy

This page may offer some insight: Open Original Shared Link. Here is some info I got off of it. I don't know about the gluten-free status of any of this stuff. Also, I just watched a special on PBS by Brenda Watson. It was very interesting and talked about probiotics and other supplements that help the digestive tract.

Dannon has released nationwide a fermented dairy-based beverage containing 1010 live Lactobacillus casei per serving. The product, calledDanActive (link to: www.danactive.com) in the U.S.,) has been sold in Europe for years under the Actimel brand.

Stonyfield Farms adds six species of bacteria to all of its yogurt products. The yogurt starter culture bacteria, Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus, are present along with — Bifidobacterium species, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus reuteri. Stonyfield Farms yogurt also contains a prebiotic – inulin.

Lifeway Foods, the largest U.S. seller of the fermented milk beverage, kefir, markets Basics Plus kefir containing six live, active cultures and a yeast. Two of these cultures, Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus casei are species normally considered having probiotic effects. In addition to probiotic cultures, this product contains immunoglobulins isolated from cow colostrum, added to provide passive immunity against intestinal pathogens.

Horizon Organic Dairy includes Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium in all its yogurt and cottage cheese products.

Some milk products also contain probiotics. These unfermented, culture-containing milks taste the same as regular milk, but contain ~2 million Lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria per ml, or ~500 million in an 8 oz. glass. Some also contain bifidobacteria. Many different dairies across the U.S. sell these milks. Check the dairy case at your grocery store.

More than 80 companies in the U.S. market probiotic products in supplement form..

VydorScope Proficient
This page may offer some insight: Open Original Shared Link. Here is some info I got off of it. I don't know about the gluten-free status of any of this stuff. Also, I just watched a special on PBS by Brenda Watson. It was very interesting and talked about probiotics and other supplements that help the digestive tract.

Dannon has released nationwide a fermented dairy-based beverage containing 1010 live Lactobacillus casei per serving. The product, calledDanActive (link to: www.danactive.com) in the U.S.,) has been sold in Europe for years under the Actimel brand.

Stonyfield Farms adds six species of bacteria to all of its yogurt products. The yogurt starter culture bacteria, Streptococcus thermophilus and Lactobacillus bulgaricus, are present along with — Bifidobacterium species, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus reuteri. Stonyfield Farms yogurt also contains a prebiotic – inulin.

Lifeway Foods, the largest U.S. seller of the fermented milk beverage, kefir, markets Basics Plus kefir containing six live, active cultures and a yeast. Two of these cultures, Lactobacillus plantarum and Lactobacillus casei are species normally considered having probiotic effects. In addition to probiotic cultures, this product contains immunoglobulins isolated from cow colostrum, added to provide passive immunity against intestinal pathogens.

Horizon Organic Dairy includes Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium in all its yogurt and cottage cheese products.

Some milk products also contain probiotics. These unfermented, culture-containing milks taste the same as regular milk, but contain ~2 million Lactobacillus acidophilus bacteria per ml, or ~500 million in an 8 oz. glass. Some also contain bifidobacteria. Many different dairies across the U.S. sell these milks. Check the dairy case at your grocery store.

More than 80 companies in the U.S. market probiotic products in supplement form..

Danon, Stoney Field, and Horaizon ARE NOT gluten-free.

Lifeway I have not seen in my store, or anywhere for that matter.

I picked up 7 yopliats. Just ate one, was yummy. Chocolate rasberrie! :D

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Danon, Stoney Field, and Horaizon ARE NOT gluten-free.

Where did you hear that? I thought Horizon was gluten-free?? I believe its on the Delphi list also. I got sick from Horizon vanilla yogurt back when I first started the diet but when I checked into it it seemed safe. I'm intolerant to vanilla though so I assumed that caused the reaction I got.

VydorScope Proficient
Where did you hear that? I thought Horizon was gluten-free?? I believe its on the Delphi list also. I got sick from Horizon vanilla yogurt back when I first started the diet but when I checked into it it seemed safe. I'm intolerant to vanilla though so I assumed that caused the reaction I got.

On this board, when I searched te old posts, there was several posts form ppl that had gotten in touch woth horzins and they all said that horzins stated thier flavorings might come from a wheat source. It was NOT in the april 2005 delphi list which is the newest version I have seen.

Guest nini

Stoneyfield IS gluten free, they just use a general CYA statement that their lawyers make them use. They do not add any gluten to their product. I know there has been some concern about the natural flavors, but after talking at length to their rep on the phone, I feel very confident that they are safe. That being said I only buy their Vanilla yougurt. I eat it several times a week with no ill effects.

For fruit flavored yogurts I buy Cascade Fresh which is clearly labeled gluten free right on the container.

I called Yoplait and was told that all their flavors EXCEPT For the obvious granola were gluten-free.

VydorScope Proficient
Stoneyfield IS gluten free, they just use a general CYA statement that their lawyers make them use. They do not add any gluten to their product. I know there has been some concern about the natural flavors, but after talking at length to their rep on the phone, I feel very confident that they are safe. That being said I only buy their Vanilla yougurt. I eat it several times a week with no ill effects.

Okay Now I am confused. Thier site says:

Does your plain, organic yogurt contain gluten?

Two Stonyfield products, Yo Baby Plus Cereal Yogurt and Brownie Sundae Premium Ice Cream, do contain gluten. All other Stonyfield yogurt products, frozen yogurt, and ice cream do not contain any gluten source ingredients. We do not add gluten to our products; however, some of the natural flavors used to make our products may have used a grain alcohol in the extraction process.

And elswehre on thier site:

Does your yogurt contain gluten?

Our nonfat, lowfat and whole milk plain yogurts do not contain any gluten source ingredients. We do not add gluten to our products; however, some of the natural flavors used to make our products may contain gluten-derived stabilizers.

To me that sounds like "We do not know, but have reason to belive there maybe gluten and therefor can not commit to them being gluten-free".

tarnalberry Community Regular
What is Kefir?????

Cultured milk. Basically, very similar to drinkable yogurt, but the cutures are somewhat different. It seems odd the first time or two, then you get hooked. (And then you regret it when you learn you can't have dairy. :-/)

Trader Joe's carries some, Whole Foods and most other health food stores. Silk is making something similar from soy these days, but it's not the same.

Rachel--24 Collaborator
On this board, when I searched te old posts, there was several posts form ppl that had gotten in touch woth horzins and they all said that horzins stated thier flavorings might come from a wheat source. It was NOT in the april 2005 delphi list which is the newest version I have seen.

I'm looking at the April 2005 list and it says

Horizon Company

All products are gluten-free (Organic cottage cheese, organic milks, organic dairy yogurts, cream cheese, just to name a few)

So now I'm confused. :unsure:

VydorScope Proficient
I'm looking at the April 2005 list and it says

Horizon Company

All products are gluten-free (Organic cottage cheese, organic milks, organic dairy yogurts, cream cheese, just to name a few)

So now I'm confused. :unsure:

Could not find it in my copy, maybe Im blind. Okay tell you want, Im gonna try and contact them my self and I will post thier reply.

Guest nini
Okay Now I am confused.

To me that sounds like "We do not know, but have reason to belive there maybe gluten and therefor can not commit to them being gluten-free".

That is the CYA disclaimer that their lawyer made them put up... The person I talked to on the phone said that they have to say that, but that she felt the products were gluten free. Like I said though, I only buy the Vanilla one, and have no problems with it. I can't vouch for any of the other flavors. I do have a very sensitive gluten detector in my tummy and I can usually tell pretty instantaneously if something has gluten in it (usually) ;)

again, this is something you will have to decide for yourself it you want to risk it. It is also why I don't buy their fruit flavored ones. I would rather support a company that will clearly label. Like Cascade Fresh. I just can't get a Vanilla by them at any of the stores I shop at.

VydorScope Proficient
That is the CYA disclaimer that their lawyer made them put up... The person I talked to on the phone said that they have to say that, but that she felt the products were gluten free. Like I said though, I only buy the Vanilla one, and have no problems with it. I can't vouch for any of the other flavors. I do have a very sensitive gluten detector in my tummy and I can usually tell pretty instantaneously if something has gluten in it (usually) ;)

again, this is something you will have to decide for yourself it you want to risk it. It is also why I don't buy their fruit flavored ones. I would rather support a company that will clearly label. Like Cascade Fresh. I just can't get a Vanilla by them at any of the stores I shop at.

Well if Cascade was sold in my Kroger, I would be buying it. :(

Guest nini

Vincent, do you have a health food store near you that might carry Cascade Fresh yogurt? That is where I get mine.

I think Whole Foods carries it too.

Archived