Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Before I finally got diagnosed with celiac disease and was still eating gluten, I went to the emergency room ~3 times with what I thought was a heart attack (in my mid 20's). Of course it wasn't, and when they did EKG's on me all looked fine and they said it was just "stress." Of course that turned out to be wrong, and after I went gluten-free that feeling went away, and I haven't had it since.

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

This was accompanied by vertigo and sometimes panic attacks, thus the "stress" diagnosis. I believe this is why celiacs are often misdiagnoses with mental issues because the symptoms can look similar to certain mental issues.

Scott Adams

Founder Celiac.com

Thank so much for your reply! 

I thought I was having a heart attack, too.  Cardiologist said my heart was fine. I had EKG, heart monitor for 2 weeks, etc. My PCP had me on omprazole for 8 months which did nothing to help. I was told I had acid reflux.  Finally after researching on-line I read that gluten can cause belching and heart palpitations. I am now eating gluten free. Feeling better but if I accidentally eat gluten, heart palpitations and burping comes back.

Were you also getting symptoms of burping a lot?

Did your gluten symptoms last a few days? If I eat gluten accidentally, my symptoms last up to three days, no matter what I eat.  

Yes, I also had gastro issues but at that time I didn't make any connection between the perceived heart issues and those symptoms. Neither did the emergency room doctors. 

The vertigo heart thing went away after a few weeks on a gluten-free diet, but it took me almost two years to feel back to normal again.

Scott Adams

Founder Celiac.com

2 hours ago, Raphael said:

Hello

Does anyone ever get heart palpitations after eating along with burping? 

Could this be symptoms of gluten or  lactose intolerance?

Thanks you

I have had that symptoms many times. Good luck and give up corn and rice along with wheat and see how you feel.

1 hour ago, Scott Adams said:

Before I finally got diagnosed with celiac disease and was still eating gluten, I went to the emergency room ~3 times with what I thought was a heart attack (in my mid 20's). Of course it wasn't, and when they did EKG's on me all looked fine and they said it was just "stress." Of course that turned out to be wrong, and after I went gluten-free that feeling went away, and I haven't had it since.

Hello Scott, I was having some heart pains after eating CORN and wheat. 

One of the funny symptoms too was NOSE dripping. Runny nose  I mean instantly after eating corn. And i had

10 other symptoms too. My reaction to wheat, is WORSE, Corn second worse  and third worse  RICE.   

Have you checked to see if you have a hiatal hernia?

Two days ago, I related in a long post here

the saga of my "heart palpitations" which actually is in my case supraventricular tachycardia (SVT).

I go on and on about it, but basically I think I'm concluding it happens after I eat and especially after I eat processed carbohydrates too quickly. Much more to it than that, but that's the Cliff Notes version.

I divide my episodes into three baskets: (1) kind of a background noise when I’m aware of them and do nothing, I know they’ll pass; (2) more in my face when I have to do something to make them go away (usually cough); and (3) when it’s blocking my path, so to speak, when it seems it won’t go away and I start to feel overtly uncomfortable and dizzy etc. and start to panic.

Plumbago

Diagnosed with Celiac in 2010. Diagnosed with sleep apnea 2018.

Raphael and Plumbago,

I had a friend who swore by the Amino Acids Arginine and Taurine to keep his arrythmia's under control.

Here is an article about it.....

https://www.pjstar.com/article/20120515/Blogs/305159877

Plumbago I was going to post it in the Sleep Issues thread in response to your SVT issue....but since you already posted that thread link.....this will be sufficient.

Amino acids are like B-Vitamins they don't stay in our system for more than 12 hours (typically) before their start to go down.....taking them 2x works best.

People who have low stomach acid can have trouble digesting proteins....thus Amino Acid absorption issues show up.....my go to amino acid is Lysine for my mouth sores.....but since I treated my low stomach acid issues....I almost never have to take Lysine anymore.

I hope this is helpful but It is not medical advise.

Posterboy,

23 hours ago, zenith12 said:

I have had that symptoms many times. Good luck and give up corn and rice along with wheat and see how you feel.

Any ways to relieve the burping? Wow sometimes I feel like a burping machine. 

No easy remedies.  For me, I must avoid gluten.  I think you need to determine the root cause of your burping.  It can be due to many things, including celiac disease.  Learn more:

https://www.healthline.com/health/abdominal-pain-and-burping

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis -- Stable 2014

Anemia -- Resolved

Fractures (vertebrae): June 2013

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Diabetes -- January 2014

29 minutes ago, Raphael said:

Any ways to relieve the burping? Wow sometimes I feel like a burping machine. 

Raphael,

You might have a Peptic Ulcer....or a Hiatal Hernia especially if you are burping not related to food ingestion.

https://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/ss/slideshow-whats-making-you-burp

Ulcers can be triggered from too little stomach acid.....not too much as is commonly believed...(Food dilutes acid keeping our body at a healthy level....eating lowers stomach acid naturally) when this cycle is broken we can develop ulcers triggered by an H. Pylori Infection etc...

Howard Hughes Medical Institute worked out this connection....over 15+ years ago....but doctor's still treat us as if we have too much stomach acid instead...

https://www.hhmi.org/news/excessive-growth-bacteria-may-also-be-major-cause-stomach-ulcers

Try taking the baking soda test and it will tell you if your Stomach acid is really too low or too high.

This Dr. Jockers article explains how to test this theory using Baking Soda...

https://drjockers.com/5-ways-test-stomach-acid-levels/

If it really is too low....taking some BetaineHCL with meals might help you.

I suggest taking 3 or 4 capsules to begin with....and going up or down as necessary....

Always take it (BetaineHCL) with a couple glasses of water and a meal.....BetaineHCL should never bee taken on an empty stomach....or it could cause a burning sensation.....like someone is putting a cigarette but in your stomach.

If this happens drink more water....and eat something to help with the burning sensation....

It should be a warm sensation (not unpleasant sensation) when you are taking it appropriately.

Mastic Gum might help an ulcer too!

I hope this is helpful but it is not medical advise.

Posterboy,