This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Anyone Doing Scd?

Rachel--24

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Dani,

I dont eat eggs either so no you dont have to eat them. Is the grape juice your drinking free of any added sugars? I think I remember reading that fruit juice needs to be 100% natural, it cant be from concentrate and it should be diluted with water at the beginning of the diet. Fruits shouldnt be eaten until diarreah stops. I'm not eating yogurt right now but I take probiotics in capsules. You definately need probiotics so if you cant make yogurt take the pills. Just make sure they are free of starches, yeast, casein and FOS. I think on the website there is a section about probiotics and ingredients. I'll look for it and post it later.

coconut milk yogurt is not a must. You could try almond milk. I think she has it laid out in her book how to make almond milk. Don't use store bought almond milk, it has sugars that are not allowed. I think she mentions in the book you can use probiotics if you can't manage yogurt.

Nancy, I think she says that almond milk can be tried later on in the diet...like after 3 months but not in the beginning....same with coconut milk.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
danikali Enthusiast

Thanks guys. Well, I can't have nuts either, so there goes the almond milk. And I'm drinking welches grape juice because that is what they say right on the website. (even though I don't understand it because it says 100% juice, no sugar added, etc., but in the ingrediants, it says 'concentrated' about 2 or 3 times.?)

Anyway, do I have to have the yogart? And is acidopholis a probiotics? I usually take the chewable kind 3 times a day with meals. It is of course free of casein, gluten, etc. etc. except I'm wondering if it has sugar or something since it is a chewable.

Anyway, thanks for the help. The side in my 'spleen' or whatever that was has stopped already. Thank God because I hate when my intestines hurt, it happens a lot, but it scares me everytime!

Rachel--24 Collaborator
I hope you don't mind me asking but how do you get C-diff. From Antibiotic use? How long? I am on it for 2 months at least and want to make sure I don't get c-diff. I am eating 8 oz of stoneyfarm yogurt a day with blueberries. I am also taking L-Acidophillus 500 million x two. Will that do or should I be doing something else?

I got c-diff from antibiotics. I only took them for about a week but my doctor says I was more susceptible because I was not gluten free at the time. I didnt know I had gluten intolerance, I lived on fast food and I had never heard of a probiotic before. So there you go....my ignorance led me to where I'm at today. You should be ok...everyone should take probiotics during and after antibiotic treatment.

Thanks guys. Well, I can't have nuts either, so there goes the almond milk. And I'm drinking welches grape juice because that is what they say right on the website. (even though I don't understand it because it says 100% juice, no sugar added, etc., but in the ingrediants, it says 'concentrated' about 2 or 3 times.?)

Dani, I posted some answers to your questions above. :)

danikali Enthusiast

Oh, yeah, I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but does anyone know if I can have ground turket meat? It says completely natural, organic, nothing added, etc. but wouldn't it be considered processed if it is 'ground' meat? It's like turkey hamburger meat, just not in the patti form.

Oh and in the intro. can I have any kind of meat besides just fish, chicken and hamburger meat? For example, we are having friends over tonight for dinner and DF just bought 70 dollars worth of steak! For 3! (He's crazy, right?) Anyway, could I have that with them tonight, or should I have the turkey, or some broiled fish?

I'm lost without this book. ;) But I want to start my road to recovery now! :lol: I really have no patience, do I..... :P

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I eat ground turkey and ground chicken but I only get the organic stuff from Whole Foods. They have all natural ground meats but I think I do best with the organic stuff. Steak is hard to digest...I used to eat alot of it but now I pretty much stick to chicken, fish, and some hamburger meat.

corinne Apprentice

I'm another one in the SCD club. I have collagenous colitis not celiac disease. There's a strong link between collag. colitis and celiac and my mother is celiac. About 70% of people with this type of colitis eventually have symptoms reduce or disappear on a gluten free diet. I tried gluten free for a while but the more rice and corn I ate, the sicker I got.

I started the SCD 6 weeks ago and so far it has been a 100% turnaround. I have had no diarrhea (except for when I tried yoghurt and nuts), vomiting or nausea after the first 2 weeks on the diet and a lot fewer cramps and gas.

I can't seem to tolerate any dairy even farmer's cheese or homemade yoghurt. So far nut flour or nut butters cause problems too, but I'll try them again in a few months.

Typical day's meal: breakfast - chicken and carrot soup, lunch - chicken and carrot soup, snacks - eggs, peach or pear compote (uncooked fruit + peels or seeds are hard for me to digest), dinner - zucchini or beets, hamburger or turkey burger or pork chop or steak. I'm very slowly adding new foods in - 1 or 2 things a week.

Take a look on pecanbread.com for a suggested order for adding foods in.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

Thanks for the tips Corrine :)

I was eating the farmers cheese and also swiss cheese and at first I felt fine so I continued to eat it....basically I went overboard. I ended up with bloating, gas and really bad constipation. Its still causing me problems 4 days later. I'm going to avoid the dairy for awhile and next time I try it...it will be in very small amounts. I also cant do nuts or nut butters. I'm glad you are doing so well on the diet. :)

Do you worry about ingredients in supplements or medications? Right now I'm on 2 probiotics perscribed by my doctor...they are both illegal. One has FOS and the other has lactose & yeasts. I have to continue with these right now but just wondering if I should ask my doctor about taking something else when these are finished.

Oh...for anyone interested here is the link for legal/illegal supplements.

Open Original Shared Link

Heres the link for adding foods in...

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

danikali Enthusiast

Okay guys, right now I'm eating lots of cooked mashed carrots and turkey burger. this is perfectly okay for my first day right?

I'm so happy you're all doing this with me because it really gives me hope when you say it's working. My system is so messed up right now. Aches and pain in my stomach and back, "D" and bloated.

dlp252 Apprentice

Dani - I'm with you...I've been having a lot of pain this week too. I can't wait to get these dang tests done...I guess I could do the diet with chicken and carrots...but I'm not supposed to eat any red meats, pork etc until these tests are over. I'm going to do it without the yogurt for a while too I think.

danikali Enthusiast
Dani - I'm with you...I've been having a lot of pain this week too. I can't wait to get these dang tests done...I guess I could do the diet with chicken and carrots...but I'm not supposed to eat any red meats, pork etc until these tests are over. I'm going to do it without the yogurt for a while too I think.

What tests are you taking exactly? May I ask what kind of pain you're in? My body has not been my own for about a month and a half straight now. That has not happened in a LONG LONG time. I don't know what triggered it, but it's horrible.

Also, does anyone know if you gain weight on this diet? Or is it more a weight loss.......

Rachel--24 Collaborator
Also, does anyone know if you gain weight on this diet? Or is it more a weight loss.......

I don't see how you could possibly gain weight on this diet...its no complex carbs or starches. I dont gain weight no matter what I eat because I have malabsorption so I'm hoping after being on the diet a few months I'll start healing and absorbing....and gaining!

PreOptMegs Explorer

It is easy to gain/keep weight on. Think peanut butter, cheese, raisins, yogurt from whole milk if you like, meat...

Rachel--24 Collaborator
It is easy to gain/keep weight on. Think peanut butter, cheese, raisins, yogurt from whole milk if you like, meat...

I cant eat any of those things right now...except meat. Hopefully I can eat enough to at least maintain where I'm at. My appetite is huge and I eat alot of the stuff that I can eat. Its not a big selection though.

danikali Enthusiast

Same with me Rachel. I can't eat any of those things right now, except meat, either. And my appetite is enormous as well. I think if I gain 5lbs, I would be happy but I just don't want to loose anymore or gain like 20lbs either!

I have another question. Is it true that if you eat the same things over and over, you create intolerances to those things? I'm just wondering because it seems like that's what I'm going to have to do for a while still.

So what's everyone eating today?

dlp252 Apprentice
What tests are you taking exactly? May I ask what kind of pain you're in? My body has not been my own for about a month and a half straight now. That has not happened in a LONG LONG time. I don't know what triggered it, but it's horrible.

I've been having D since January...I always have it to a certain extent but it changed around January when I had surgery...I have pain in the area that I assume is the intestines...kind of right below the belly button but a little to the left side. I've also had some feeling of nausea and light headedness, and blood pressure is lower than normal. And, in the last week or so it's almost C. So, my new doctor decided to run a bunch of tests...we did a whole bunch of blood tests and she is having me do a bunch of stool test to check for C.Diff (which came back negative), blood, parasites, etc. She mentioned she thinks I may have some form of colitis so I have a colonoscopy scheduled, but they'll need all these tests. Right now I'm doing the one that checks for occult blood, so they want a high residue low meat diet. I also had to do a "fresh" test...kind of like the Enterolab bucket only much smaller, lol.

I have another question. Is it true that if you eat the same things over and over, you create intolerances to those things? I'm just wondering because it seems like that's what I'm going to have to do for a while still.

I asked my allergist about this once...I think it was his feeling that it could...he had me try a rotation diet just to kind of check for that kind of thing. I've also read that it can't really. I do believe that if our intestines are doing their job properly it's less likely to happen. On the other hand...I do notice that with things like specific vitamins (i.e., a certain brand of multivitamin)...I can take them for months then if I stop for a while and try to take them again, I have digestive/intestinal issues. So, I don't know...both theories make sense to me.

danikali Enthusiast

Donna,

sorry you're going through all of these extra tests when all you want to do is start the SCD! haha, well, hopefully they'll figure it out and you can start the diet and never look back. At least if you know if you have colitis or something, the diet should also help that. And if you have an infection, then you can just get some antibiotics for it. At least you don't have C-Diff. That's supposed to be the worst one, am I right?

I haven't had "D" everyday, but most days. Either I won't go for 3 days straight, or I'll have bad 'D' or I'll have just really mushy looking 'stuff' with lots of mucos. hahaha, why am I telling you this? oh well, you understand, I'm sure! :P

And regarding the food intolerance thing, why can't it be that if we're just eating the right foods, we should never ever have a problem with them? But no, that would make things too easy!

jenvan Collaborator

What I have seen from my reading is that yes, the more frequently you eat a food on a leaky or compromised gut, the more likely you will be to develop an intolerance to it. However, that doesn't mean that you will. To try and prevent more intolerances eat a variety of foods...I saw a guideline once that said try not to eat the same food more than 4x a week. Documented research in this area is hard to come by... Eating a variety of foods is good for many reasons, so if you are concerned, try to keep your diet diverse, but don't stress on it...

dlp252 Apprentice
At least you don't have C-Diff. That's supposed to be the worst one, am I right?

Yep, I think that's the worst one. The colitis thing is one of the reasons why I wanted to try the SC diet...my mother also has divertulosis and I have many of the same symptoms as she does (or she me...I'm trying to get her to go get tested for celiac, lol).

danikali Enthusiast

Okay, I got a new question........can we have tea? herbal? gluten free? (of course) Plain chamomile? I'm still in the intro. diet by the way, if that makes any difference.

dlp252 Apprentice

Oh shoot...I didn't bring my book with me today, but I know she mentions two kinds of tea. I know spearmint is one but can't remember the other one. She advises drinking it weak.

Okay here's what I found on the website:

"Ordinary black tea is legal but should be made weak. Instant tea,Ojibwa tea (Essiac), many herbal teas, teas made from bark etc are full of polysaccharides and are illegal. Peppermint and spearmint herb teas are legal, and you can make a tea from ginger which is also legal."

danikali Enthusiast
Oh shoot...I didn't bring my book with me today, but I know she mentions two kinds of tea. I know spearmint is one but can't remember the other one. She advises drinking it weak.

Okay here's what I found on the website:

"Ordinary black tea is legal but should be made weak. Instant tea,Ojibwa tea (Essiac), many herbal teas, teas made from bark etc are full of polysaccharides and are illegal. Peppermint and spearmint herb teas are legal, and you can make a tea from ginger which is also legal."

Wow! Surprising! But thanks for the info. I can't believe this. I have lived on tea. All kinds of herbal tea. I even just bought 3 little Celestial boxes. I can't believe we can't have chamomile. Oh well. It's not worth having the big cup in front of my face if it's going to mess up the whole diet. Thank God I waited for a reply because it is sitting here, all ready for me to drink! haha.

Thanks Donna.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I've thought about the gaining new intolerances thing and I've decided not to worry about it. If I were to continue eating the wrong foods and my gut never healed it would probably keep happening. I'm thinking if I follow the diet and start healing its less likely to happen. I'm really not intolerant to alot of foods but I am intolerant to salicylates...which are in alot of foods. From what I've read people who react to gluten and salicylates have guts that are over-run with bad bacteria/pathogens. It says these reactions go away with healing. I'm sure the salicylate sensitivity can go away and I may or may not still have noticeable reactions from gluten but I'll never eat it again.

corinne Apprentice

The first month on the SCD, I lost about 10 pounds. I'm about 5' 9, 120 lb so I need to gain some. The last few weeks, my weight has steadied. I hope to gain weight later when I can eat nuts and maybe dairy or dried fruit. The plus side is that I'm absorbing what I do eat a lot better. My iron levels are normal.

If possible, I get SCD meds, but most have at least corn starch as a filler. So I weigh the benefits of the drug. SCD probiotics are available; I'll see if I can find the name of the company.

Today, I'm adding bananas. :P

danikali Enthusiast

I was reading the different letters of thanks written to Elaine on the SCD website, and from what I understand, these people are living on the diet for the rest of their lives...I don't mind, because my health comes before everything now, after all of this, but is this true? Of course, I'll never have gluten again, but what about chocolate. I know that and even pure cocoa powder is illegal.

The first month on the SCD, I lost about 10 pounds. I'm about 5' 9, 120 lb so I need to gain some. The last few weeks, my weight has steadied. I hope to gain weight later when I can eat nuts and maybe dairy or dried fruit. The plus side is that I'm absorbing what I do eat a lot better. My iron levels are normal.

If possible, I get SCD meds, but most have at least corn starch as a filler. So I weigh the benefits of the drug. SCD probiotics are available; I'll see if I can find the name of the company.

Today, I'm adding bananas. :P

Wow, I couldn't imagine loosing 10lbs. But you feel healthy, right? That's really all that matters. If you feel good, and you're getting back to health, I don't think the weight is the biggest concern. Your body should level out when you are completely healed, am I right?

Also, I haven't received the book in the mail yet, but how exactly does this work? You add foods back in one at a time on a daily basis? Or 3 days?

And how long have you been on this diet? And how are you feeling compared to before you started?

corinne Apprentice

I've been on the diet for 6 weeks now and I feel really healthy (see post a bit earlier in this thread) so I'm not worrying for now about the low weight. I did a 8 mile snowhoe last weekend and felt great (except for tired feet :P ).

It takes about 3 days for food to completely go through my system, so I add a new food Monday, see what happens, then try another one Thursday.

Archived