This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Unusual Concoctions Do You Enjoy?

jaten

jaten Enthusiast

That's what I want to know....

What unusual "recipes" (and I use that term loosely) have you invented and enjoy that others in your circle of friends/family might snub?

I'll start. My husband thought this was really weird until he tasted it.

1- Place a handful of fresh baby spinach leaves (stems removed) in a cereal bowl. Separately, prepare your favorite hot cereal. (I microwave Bob's Red Mill Creamy Rice cereal.) Place a small pat of butter on the spinach leaves. Add the cooked, hot rice cereal to the spinach bowl. The hot cereal melts the butter and steams the spinach without losing any of the nutrients (all in the bowl). Stir and eat.

This concoction came to me on one of those icky tummy days. I wanted something soothing, but wanted some nutrition, too. Sometimes I've added chopped apple (skin on). The rationale is that chopped apple is good in spinach salad, so.....

2- In my PC (Pre-Celiac) days, I use to occasionally eat a peanut butter sandwich with sweet pickles rather than jelly. That hasn't sounded good lately, but it used to be really good. (Obviously another idea that just came to me from out of the blue)

Ok, the shame should be sufficiently removed. What have you created that's unexpected and yummy?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
penguin Community Regular

My friend in childhood was allergic to milk, so she would eat her cereal with orange juice. Whenever milk seems to be bothering me, or I just plain don't want milk, I eat my cereal that way too! :D

Kraft mac and cheese (well, not any more, I guess I could use annies or something) with a can of drained tuna for "tuna cassarole"

Guest nini

sometimes when I have "bad tummy days" the ONLY thing I can stomach is a bowl of canned pears, drained with Helleman's mayonaise on top and shredded cheese... I mix it all together and have a "pear salad"

I used to do this when I was in high school... I don't know where I came up with it, but sometimes I just get to craving it and it's the only thing I can eat.

jerseyangel Proficient

I love this thread--how fun! I like to take a big glob of Smucker's Natural Paenut Butter and warm it in the microwave till it's melted. Then I slice a banana into it, sprinkle cinnamon on top and mix. It is so good :ph34r:

francelajoie Explorer

This will be familiar with the Canadians and maybe a couple of the Americans!! :P

oven cooked fries topped with mozza cheese and homeade chicken gravy!!

Better know as "The Poutine"!! :D

munchkinette Collaborator

I got this from my brother- drain a can of Genova tuna (tuna in olive oil) and mix it with balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper. Mix it up with a drained can of kidney beans. It's really good, and really nutritious! You don't need any mayo (we all hate it) since you have the olive oil and vinegar.

He also makes a concoction of dried oatmeal (I know most people can't eat that), protein powder, and chocolate silk soy milk. He eats it with a spoon for breakfast. It sounds gross, but it's similar to the stuff they sell at the gym for an insane price. It's pretty good if you can eat oatmeal.

My mom and brother also eat jelly on their omelettes. EW.

Guest Robbin

Ok, this is too fun. I eat very weird, too. I mix a can of stewed tomatoes with a can of green beans and have that as a hot lunch sometimes. Also, I heat a cup of v-8 juice and drink it hot like a soup. Pretty good with a sandwich. I also like green bean sandwiches, although gluten-free bread is not too great so far.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nantzie Collaborator

Actually, there's so many good ideas in here. V8 soup is a great idea. And I'm going to have to try some tuna with oil and vinegar concoctions of my own. Tuna with mayo is such a habit I never think about other options. I used to do the mac and cheese with tuna that a friend of mine showed me. So yummy.

The only weird thing I eat is apple slices with crunchy peanut butter. Nutritious, delicious and filling. I used to think it was weird because nobody I knew ever had heard of it, but then I saw it on a commercial, so I figure it can't be that weird.

My dd doesn't like breakfast food. She won't drink milk, so no cereal. Doesn't like pastries or sweets, so no waffles or pancakes. And I can't even get her to try eggs. So she usually gets something with peanut butter and some fruit. I like the idea of the warmed PB. We could use it as a dip for breakfast.

Nancy

Guest Viola

My favourite sandwich filling is chopped turkey really fine, chopped celery really fine mixed with mayo.

or ... celery chopped fine, cheese whiz, and mayo ... yum, it's also good on celery sticks.

Bananas dipped in melted chocolate .. you can add melted peanut butter too :P

mamaw Community Regular

Okay here's one for the book. Been eating this since I was a kid--- don't know if it was because I came from a large family and $ was tight or if it was something that others eat also. I have since heard that people know I'm from Western Pa when I ask for Pancakes & the ketsup bottle!!!!!

I remember being in a pancake house where there are loads of different syrups to put on the pancakes and my brother & I look at each other and at the same time we ask the waitress for ketsup. My hubby was soooo red faced ---- he thinks we are weird for eating that.....

mamaw

tarnalberry Community Regular

tuna with soy yogurt, or mashed avocado. :-)

hemp butter. (it's green - a really disgusting color of green. but has a good protein/fat ratio.)

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I love cottage cheese sprinkled with black pepper and a bag of ridged potato chips :)

Baked beans and plain potato chips

When I was a kid I would always put potato chips into my sandwiches to make them crunchy!! (since I don't really eat bread now I really miss that)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Lisa Mentor

Vanilla ice cream as a dip with potato chips.

V-8 juice, cut-up avacado,onion, celantro and peeled shrimp a little hot sauce.....hot or cold yummmmmmm

(A peanut butter sandwich with pickels, most likely, would make me thow-up :huh: )

Cottage cheese, peanuts, raisans, bean sprouts, apple slices, with gluten-free ranch dressing.

jerseyangel Proficient
I love cottage cheese sprinkled with black pepper and a bag of ridged potato chips :)

OMG--when I ate dairy, I used to always eat potato chips dipped in cottage cheese! I've never heard of anyone else who did it :D

i canary Rookie

Cornflakes with tuna and mayo. I first did that about 20 years ago when that's all I had to eat. It's good.

I also like cream cheese as a dip for potato chips. B)

minibabe Contributor

I love to slice tomatoes and put mayo on top of them and eat them. It is so good.

I also love Cheeze Wiz :P

Amanda NY

jaten Enthusiast

I love it! OMG this is SO fun. There are a lot of "unique" (yes, that's a good diplomatic word) appetites out there. Green bean sandwiches and pancakes with ketchup. LOL. The cool thing is that I know y'all didn't just say that to make me feel better about my peanut butter and sweet pickle sandwich.

Some of these I'll actually try. Some I won't ;)

lorka150 Collaborator

I layer this in a bowl.

Peanut Butter Panda Puffs

Tofu pudding

homemade Jell-o (unless I am lazy and then I make the boxed stuff)

Cornflakes

Tofu pudding

homemade Jell-o

Quinoa puffs

and then all over again. I eat this every night before bed in a huge, huge Japanese stirfry bowl.

Felidae Enthusiast

It is not unusual in Europe, but here most people use ketchup. I love french fries with mayo.

ebrbetty Rising Star

lorka, yours wins hands down!! I can't believe your belly doesn't hurt after that lol

I used to eat potato chip sandwiches with lots of mayo, but after reading about the stir fry bowl mines normal :P

Guest Robbin
It is not unusual in Europe, but here most people use ketchup. I love french fries with mayo.

OMG, My family thinks I'm weird for that one, too! My husband only eats fries with a1 steak sauce. I also like them with ranch dressing. My ex ate apple butter on his. Fries and potatoes seem to invite strange toppings! Great idea for a thread! :lol:

Nancym Enthusiast

I can't even touch most of these weird food combinations! I've always loved peanut butter on apple slices and raisins or grapes in my salad.

Guest BERNESES

Lorka- Yummmm! I think my favorite "secret" treat is spoonfuls of peanut butter straight from the jar. My husband thinks it is so gross but it sends me into ecstacy!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

B--I love eat a spoonful of peanut butter and wash it down with orange juice! I can't believe the stuff I share on this site :D

Guest BERNESES

I know- it's fun though :P . I had an intern last year and I walked in and she was eating her pb straight out of the jar. I was so psyched someone else did it!

Archived