This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Unusual Concoctions Do You Enjoy?

jaten

kabowman Explorer

Try nutbutter (it used to be peanut butter) on a spoon out of the jar and dip it in honey. Eat the honey part off and dip again (also used to work with pretzles!)

I like fresh onion and avacado on my BLT and black olives in any cold salad you can mix them in.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
aikiducky Apprentice

Most of you seem to have completely normal appetites as far as I'm concerned, lol. :D Though ice cream and potato chips was pushing the envelope a bit I think. :P

Yesterday I tried mixing warm applesauce with a thick coconut cream and some dried ground mint leaves. Ummm...oookay...applesauce with coconut cream is yummy, applesauce with mint is yummy, but the three together was...weird. I ate it anyway. :) It wasn't really bad, just...odd.

Today I tried tea with coconut cream and sugar. Wasn't half bad either. I'm trying to find out how many different things I can put coconut milk in. :D

Another yummy idea is sliced pears in stir fry. I thought of that when I ran out of new veggies to try. Or slices of orange on salmon, baked in a pan or in the oven. Yum. Or a tart jam with mashed potatoes. In a pinch, a not-so-tart jam, like strawberry...I'm not picky.

In Holland, mayo with fries is the norm, ketchup is a bit weird! I haven't had any since going gluten free, most mayo here has wheat in it! :(

Now I'm hungry, shame on you all...

Pauliina

jerseyangel Proficient
Try nutbutter (it used to be peanut butter) on a spoon out of the jar and dip it in honey. Eat the honey part off and dip again (also used to work with pretzles!)

YUM!! Gonna have to try that one :D .. PS--I second the black olives in the salads--when Acme has them 10 for $10, I load up!

lorka150 Collaborator

It's funny, too, becasue right now I am so limited. The only foods, literally, that I can eat are those in my concoction, most veggies (but only raw), tangerines, almond milk, coffee, herbal tea, and one brand of soy mayo.

That's it. But at least I can have fun with my nightly snack.

TCA Contributor

When I first went on the diet, I couldn't seem to find anything to satisfy my sweet tooth. I started mixing a little butter and brown sugar together and having it as "candy". Since then I have learned that I can have lots of things, but I was so cautious and didn't know at first. I still like it, though! :)

I also like gluten free cornbread dipped in Kraft Honey BBQ sauce. Ate it since I was a kid and they thought I was crazy too!

Guest MyKidsMom

My favorite concoction before going gluten-free was Dorito chips (regular or Ranch) with cottage cheese as a dip...it was absolutely addicting and I ate it after my husband went to work.

My husband grew up on Fluffer-Nutter sandwiches which are Marshmallow Creme and Peanut Butter sandwiches.

A very, very good fruit dip we eat is made up of Marshmallow Creme and Cream Cheese.

I, too, eat french fries with mayo...don't care for ketchup...but my sister and husband eat it on everything including eggs and mac & cheese.

We had a house guest who put hot sauce on everything! Inluding pancakes, hamburger helper, corn-on-the-cob...everything!

This is a fun, light-hearted thread!

Canadian Karen Community Regular
It is not unusual in Europe, but here most people use ketchup. I love french fries with mayo.

That's how I eat my fries too! But it HAS to be Hellmans...

Hubby thinks it's TOTALLY gross, BTW........ LOL!

My favorite concoction before going gluten-free was Dorito chips (regular or Ranch) with cottage cheese as a dip...it was absolutely addicting and I ate it after my husband went to work.

How come just "before going gluten-free"? Doritos Ranch chips are gluten free, as are several brands of cottage cheese - why not continue to "partake"?

Hugs.

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lpellegr Collaborator

Okay, Pennsylvanians might think this is perfectly normal, but I haven't met many other people who are used to eating cottage cheese and apple butter. Looks like dog barf if you mix it up, but sooo good. Also Breyer's vanilla ice cream (with the vanilla bean specks) eaten with pretzels instead of a spoon. And back when I could have rye bread, thickly buttered rye bread with hot mashed potatoes plopped on top made a great breakfast. Mmmm, carbohydrates.....

Guest Pixi

Yesterday, I woke up in my best friend's house and needed to make some celiac-safe breakfast.

I made...

A Chicken and Lima Bean Omelette.

Weird? Perhaps. Yummy? Definitely. Just add ketchup :D

jenvan Collaborator

french fries with mayo and ketchup--used to love that on occasion. hmmm, i can't think of anything really weird i eat now, although i'm sure my dh would think of some! i did grow up eating peanut butter and mayo sandwiches in my lunch. i know, most people think its henious--but if you think about it, it really the perfect food combination: you have the dry, sweet peanut butter which is perfectly complimented by the moist, tangy mayo or miracle whip :)

I guess the most unusual concoction that I eat is my mom's "Newfie Dinner".

Consists of cabbage, carrots, potatoes, turnip all boiled in a huge pot along with salt beef (or sometimes ham).

Trust me, it grows on you....... :P;)

Not that tasty, but sure as heck good for ya!

Hugs.

Karen

gabrielle Contributor

French Fries dipped in anything sounds good to me. Sometimes I even dipped them in a Wendy's Frosty... hmm... perfect PMS food!

I also dipped doritos in cream cheese... YUM!

:D I'm getting hungry!!!!

Guest BERNESES

This thread reminded me of lutefisk (not sure of the spelling). A friend of mine went to a Norwegian dinner where they haad it. It's basically fish soaaked in lye and then cooked until it turns grey.

'How to describe that first bite? Its a bit like describing passing a kidneystone to the uninitiated. If you are talking to someone else who has lived through the experience, a nod will suffice to acknowledge your shared pain, but to explain it to the person who has not been there, mere words seem inadequate to the task. So it is with lutefisk. One could bandy about the time honored phrases like "nauseating sordid gunk", "unimaginably horrific", "lasting psychological damage", but these seem hollow when applied to the task at hand. I will have to resort to a recipe for a kind of metaphorical lutefisk, to describe the experience. Take marshmallows made without sugar, blend them together with overcooked Japanese noodles, and then bathe the whole liberally in acetone. Let it marinate in cod liver oil for several days at room temprature. When it has achieved the appropriate consistency (though the word "appropriate" is somewhat problematic here), heat it to just above lukewarm, sprinkle in thousands of tiny, sharp, invisible fish bones, and serve."

i think I'll go with panda puffs, jello and quiona flakes any day.

Oh- aanother favorite. Nutella and peanut butter straight out of the jar. Big scoop of pb with nutella on top. OMG. i want to go but some Nutella right now.

jerseyangel Proficient
I guess the most unusual concoction that I eat is my mom's "Newfie Dinner".

Consists of cabbage, carrots, potatoes, turnip all boiled in a huge pot along with salt beef (or sometimes ham).

Trust me, it grows on you....... :P;)

Not that tasty, but sure as heck good for ya!

Hugs.

Karen

Karen--My MIL makes that, she calles it 'boiled dinner'. She does not use the turnips, and uses a fresh ham. I really like it!

Guest BERNESES

Karen- My dad loves that too! I think his is Irish boiled dinner so it has corned beef in it. Every St. patty's Day it's all he wants!

penguin Community Regular
Karen- My dad loves that too! I think his is Irish boiled dinner so it has corned beef in it. Every St. patty's Day it's all he wants!

I make this all the time! It was one of the many dinners that were normal *inside* my house, but not outside my house!

Others were chicken fried steak, salmon patties, greek rice, ham hocks and beans, chicken & dumplings...

My mom is a southern trained cook living in yankee land, so no wonder my friends thought I was wierd :rolleyes:

At least now I live in the south so my cooking is normal! :P

(minus the irish boiled dinner :huh: )

Mom calls it boiled dinner too!

She can't eat it without her mustard pickles on the side, though! :P Gotta have her mustard pickles!

I love sucking up the juice at the end!

Karen

Karen--My MIL makes that, she calles it 'boiled dinner'. She does not use the turnips, and uses a fresh ham. I really like it!

Does she also make the Newfie Pudding?

Don't know how you make it, but I know it consists of raisins, molasses and is boiled in cheese cloth.......

I of course can't eat it since it has flour in it, but my whole family absolutely BEGS my mom to make it at every special occasion.......

Karen

aikiducky Apprentice
This thread reminded me of lutefisk (not sure of the spelling). A friend of mine went to a Norwegian dinner where they haad it. It's basically fish soaaked in lye and then cooked until it turns grey. .....

Ok, now I KNOW you're going to think I'm weird - I LIKE lutefisk (that's literally "lyefish", lol). Ok to be honest I mostly like the awesome sauce my mom makes to go with it. It's a Christmas tradition in Finland, although I think nowadays the tradition in most families is to decide to skip the "lyefish" this year... :D:D:D

Pauliina

kabowman Explorer

I forgot all about french fries and chocolate shakes!!! Back in the day, you eat a few fries, then while they are still warm and salty in your mouth, take a big gulp of a chocolate shake! Best way to eat fries ever.

I make the Boiled Dinner but never knew what to call it. My boys, who are sooo picky, love the corned beef! It is one of the few meals they actually ask for.

key Contributor

I love potato chips dipped in cottage cheese!!! MMMMMMMM!

Peanut butter on banana's.

Also sandwiches with sliced banana's, pb, and some mayo on the other side. THis sounds gross to people, but it is really good. I use fat free plain kraft mayo.

Can't think of anything else.

Monica

Lisa Mentor

How about herring roe or shad roe, rolled in corn bread and fried until they pop all over the stove, dipped in katchup. Good and rich and tastes very healthy, except the frying. I was a city girl before comming to small town usa. I have even gotten to like collards, sort of.

Better yet, the roe out of a lobster in the summer. That is truely awesome. Drueling now.

jaten Enthusiast
How about herring roe or shad roe.............better yet, the roe out of a lobster in the summer.

NO WBROE

Guest BERNESES
I forgot all about french fries and chocolate shakes!!! Back in the day, you eat a few fries, then while they are still warm and salty in your mouth, take a big gulp of a chocolate shake! Best way to eat fries ever.

Oh my God- Yummmmmmmm!

jerseyangel Proficient

I love salty and chocolate together! Years ago, a co-worker (and friend) of mine and I used to get a bag of potato chips and a bunch of milk chocolate break-up and eat the two together while we were supposed to be working :ph34r: --good times!

skinnyminny Enthusiast

I eat some grits and cinnimon and a little butter sorta like oatmeal..

I also melt chocolate chips and stir in rasins..

Turkey rolled on top of sweet pickles.. little wraps

Anything mixed with peanut butter is good for sure I eat it on everything from fruit to gluten-free waffles..

I add applesauce as the oil in brownies too it makes them really really moist and yummy! but the rest of my family finds it strange

Archived