This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Rice Cereal A Bust

DLayman

DLayman Apprentice

:angry: Well tried introducing rice cereal to the four month ld last nght.. he got terible gas, cried and was up till 1 am... I was not happy.. I guess he is not ready for it is carnation good start gluten-free?

forgot to give the two year old his bread yesterday..he ate threee gluten-free muffins!

oh well 21 days to go till his test so pleenty of time to feed him stuff that might do him damage to see if it is doing him damage!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

seeking-wholeness Explorer

Denise,

Carnation Good Start seems to be gluten-free, but might your baby have a dairy sensitivity? Is this the first time he has tried cow's milk?

Another area of inquiry is cross-contamination of the rice cereal--I haven't researched this myself because my boys don't eat baby cereal anymore, but I don't know of any baby cereal manufacturer who DOESN'T also make oatmeal, barley, and/or mixed (wheat-containing) cereals in addition to rice! If they're made on the same machinery....

I hope your little guy feels better today, and I hope you managed to get SOME rest! Have a happy New Year's Day!

--Sarah

DLayman Apprentice

thought about cross cntamination. this is not the first time h has had good start.. so don't think that is it...

try again later I and see if it happns again

donnalois Newbie

;) Denise, My celiac "baby" is now six years old. She was one of those skinny, colicky babies that was forever gassy. She could not handle "Heintz" rice cereal because there was barley malt flavouring in the stuff. I discovered "Pablum" brand was made from Rice and Soy. She loved it and the gas pain and smelly poop was greatly reduced. I also was breast feeding at the time and cut milk, wheat and eggs out of my diet for a while until we had narrowed the problem down to the gluten. Talk to your doctor and see if he thinks pablum brand might work. Don't forget a vitamin suppliment for yourself if you are going to tinker with your own diet. When I switched from Heintz Cereal to Pablum, she gained two pounds in one month, a milestone for us!

Now she is gluten free for the last six years and the second tallest child in her class!

DLayman Apprentice

well I just sent an email to gerber asking about their rice cereal and if it is made in the same facility as the others etc..

we shall see!

wclemens Newbie

Denise, wow, I thought rice cereal would be an innocent enough way to start your four month old on cereal. I'm sorry you are having such a hard time with it. We have used Gerber rice cereal for my grandson for the past four months, and he is thriving on it, so I hope that this or another brand works for you. I always use the rice cereal from the box, where you add your own water, then I put fruits or vegetables (Gerber or Heinz) in with it. Good luck. Welda

Stephanie7297 Newbie

My youngest son had problems with Rice Cereal too. Made his gas and colick worse and even broke him out in a rash (all over) and the most horrible diaper rash I have ever seen. He also had problems with formula. He ended up on Alimentum. Don't know if my youngest son has Celiac's but my Oldest son does, so both my sons are Gluten Free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 10 months later...
Linda74 Rookie

Nabisco makes "cream of rice" the gluten free version of "cream of wheat". Says it is gluten free on the box. :) Linda

• 4 weeks later...
Eva12 Newbie

DLayman

Try Earths Best Organic Brown rice cerel. I am able to get this at whole foods. This is a glunten free product.

good luck

Eva ;)

Guest Ma Whit

And keep in mind that many 4 month olds just aren't ready for solids yet, either. My third baby didn't tolerate solids (even banana) until she was 8 months old. :)

lovegrov Collaborator

I'm missing it here. Is your 4-month-old diagnosed with celiac? I didn't think it was possible to definitely dsiagnose a child that young?

Also, if you 2-year-old is getting ready for testing you should be feeding gluten much more than three weeks. 12 weeks is the minimum I hear.

richard

• 3 years later...
zenmama Newbie
:angry: Well tried introducing rice cereal to the four month ld last nght.. he got terible gas, cried and was up till 1 am... I was not happy.. I guess he is not ready for it is carnation good start gluten-free?

forgot to give the two year old his bread yesterday..he ate threee gluten-free muffins!

oh well 21 days to go till his test so pleenty of time to feed him stuff that might do him damage to see if it is doing him damage!

I cant comment on Formula because I breastfeed. However my 15 mo was put on Peptamen Jr to supplement her diet and it has done wonders for her weight. Introducing Rice Cereal at 4 mo isnt a have to, he may just not be ready yet ;)

Archived