This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Success!

Lollie

Lollie Enthusiast

Hi all!!!!!! :D I just wanted to share some good news about this past weekend! I had posted that I had concerns about going out of town this past weekend- eating out, feeling bad, ect..... ;)

Well I took everyone's advice. I packed a bunch of Lara bars, my favorite crackers, stocked up on Whole Foods cookies, and had the hotel put a refrigerator in the room. When we were settled in the room, we found the local whole foods and stocked up on yogurt, fruit, and other things that would be helpful.

This is the first time in about 10 years that I actually felt really good on a vacation. B) I did not get sick, not once! I actually ate at a seafood restaraunt, I ate at Chili's and I ordered room service berries to go with my yogurt. You see, I had not really eaten on vacation in all that time. I would always feel sick, I wouldn't have any energy, and by the end I couldn't wait to get home to where it didn't really matter that I was sick-it's always easier at home. But this time, and most importantly......I was able to really relax, and enjoy this mini-vacation! :D:D:D

I wanted to give a positive side to this crumby disease.....I would give up all the bread, restraunts, whatever, to just feel good and enjoy my life again, and now I feel like I finally have that, a LIFE!!!!!!

Thanks to all who gave me advice! And here's some hope to those just starting out- it does get better, just try to focus on the positive when ever you can! :)

Lollie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Viola

That's great Lollie! Good for you! :D Really glad you had a healthy good time.

jerseyangel Proficient

That is wonderful to hear, Lollie! I always have had the same issues with travelling as you--I just find it easier to stay home :( . Stories like yours are just what I need to hear--I am not staying at home all summer this year, I'm determined to go away--at least for a long weekend! Thanks ;)

Lollie Enthusiast
That is wonderful to hear, Lollie! I always have had the same issues with travelling as you--I just find it easier to stay home :( . Stories like yours are just what I need to hear--I am not staying at home all summer this year, I'm determined to go away--at least for a long weekend! Thanks ;)

That's wonderful! I hope you have an amazing vacation!!!!! :D If, when the time comes, you need any advice or tips- feel free to PM me! I'll be happy to help!

Lollie

jerseyangel Proficient

I will do that! Thanks :D

jenvan Collaborator

Wonderful news Lollie! I'll be heading out of town for a trip in a few days also. It does pay to plan ahead!

Patti--You deserve a good trip!! :D

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Congratulations Lollie! :D That's fantastic! :D:D:D Lynne

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dlp252 Apprentice

Wow, that's wonderful Lollie!!!

Guest Pixi

Aww, Laura, that's so fantastic! :)

I'm 22 and I've been wondering how I'll manage the rest of my life -- vacations, a wedding (let's hope, lol), parties, events, etc.. -- with this dis-ease. Thanks for sharing that story.. I like knowing there's happy, travelling celiacs out there! Something to aspire to ;)

jackie4 Apprentice
Hi all!!!!!! :D I just wanted to share some good news about this past weekend! I had posted that I had concerns about going out of town this past weekend- eating out, feeling bad, ect..... ;)

Well I took everyone's advice. I packed a bunch of Lara bars, my favorite crackers, stocked up on Whole Foods cookies, and had the hotel put a refrigerator in the room. When we were settled in the room, we found the local whole foods and stocked up on yogurt, fruit, and other things that would be helpful.

This is the first time in about 10 years that I actually felt really good on a vacation. B) I did not get sick, not once! I actually ate at a seafood restaraunt, I ate at Chili's and I ordered room service berries to go with my yogurt. You see, I had not really eaten on vacation in all that time. I would always feel sick, I wouldn't have any energy, and by the end I couldn't wait to get home to where it didn't really matter that I was sick-it's always easier at home. But this time, and most importantly......I was able to really relax, and enjoy this mini-vacation! :D:D:D

I wanted to give a positive side to this crumby disease.....I would give up all the bread, restraunts, whatever, to just feel good and enjoy my life again, and now I feel like I finally have that, a LIFE!!!!!!

Thanks to all who gave me advice! And here's some hope to those just starting out- it does get better, just try to focus on the positive when ever you can! :)

Lollie

That is so reassuring. We booked a vacation to the Dominican Republic before my daughter was diagnosed. She is 14 and I was nervous about what she could eat but putting a refrigerator in the room is a great idea. It is great to hear such positive feedback. It makes me feel so much better to know that it does get better!! Jackie4

Guest BERNESES

Lollie- That is so great! Now that's progress!

Patti- You take a vaction- you deserve one- it's your turn.

Guest nini

that is success! I remember my first vacation after dx, Last year for spring break we drove to Florida for a week, Usually in the past road trips always made me ill (go figure lots of gluten!) and I didn't ever want to go... would have to stop at every bathroom along the way, you know the drill... anyway, my Florida vacation was awesome too... I packed a cooler and a bag of snacks for in the car, when we got there we stocked up at Whole Foods and I ate at Outback, Bonefish Grill, Whole Foods salad bar, and my favorite Mexican Restaurant El Adobe with no problems at all! My daughter and I felt so good and so pampered the entire time we were there!

Becky6 Enthusiast

That is so great!! I am so glad you had a wonderful time!

Archived