This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

New 'safe' Food List,

Guest jeepgirl

Guest jeepgirl

Open Original Shared Link

This is excellent news. I hope this helps you all out. As a new Celiac I know it helps me out a great deal. I walked into the commissary on Fort Bragg yesterday and realized that even with all of that food there, I could still starve to death. Sobering thought. I decided to do a massive online search for standard foods that are gluten-free since I do not have decent health food store in my area and this is the list I found.

I printd it out (it's 34 pages long) and it will be my food bible for awhile. If you guys see anything on it that you are not certain of please post it and I will follow up with the manufacturing company.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest PastorDave

Thank you!!! What a great resource! :lol:

willamina Apprentice

Thank you for posting this. but ONLY if i could open it. It seems that my computer won't let me open the pdf file....what am i doing wrong?

seeking-wholeness Explorer

Willamina, you may not have a program capable of reading pdf files. Does your search engine offer a way to view the document as html? Google does, I think. It also loads MUCH faster as html!

And a heads-up on the list itself: OAT products are considered gluten-free, so if you choose to avoid them you will still need to read every label (not that that's not a prudent idea anyway...)!

fanfaire Rookie

Woo hoo! :lol: Thanks so much for the list! I'm new to this also and get soooo confused and frustrated. I can't seem to remember the no-no ingredients as well as I can specific brand names, so this will help a lot. This will save me a lot of wasted energy reading labels and then putting stuff back when I am unsure.

Bless you!

:rolleyes:

Guest jeepgirl
:D I am glad this is a big help. I refuse to let this thing beat me down so I am doing as much research I can to make things easier for me. Any good info I find will be posted here for everyone to read. I like to share good news! :lol:
angel-jd1 Community Regular

I did notice that corn pops are on that list. Beginning Jan 1 they started putting wheat ingredients into them. There might still be a few "safe" boxes on the shelves, but you should read the label carefully before purchasing becuase if they are a new shipment they are not safe any longer.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ccbergren Rookie

Thank you so much for the list; it's fantastic. It's the best one I've seen and I have been looking at gluten-free lists for two years!

Guest gillian502

Okay...I don't know why I'm listed here as a "newbie" because I

contributed to the old board a hundred times! I must've done something wrong when I switched over...anyway! Corn Pops unfortunately weren't safe anyway...they were cross-contminated with the other cereals. I hated giving those up, too, because I loved them! :angry:

gf4life Enthusiast

Hi Gillian,

How are you? I remember you from the old board, but hadn't seen you around since we switched over. Glad your back. :D

As for being a newbie, we all were. After like 10 posts you become a member, and after like 30 posts you are an advanced member. Don't worry, you'll get out of the newbie stage pretty fast.

God bless,

Mariann

(fernandofamily on the old board, I'm gf4life now, since it is more appropriate B) )

gf4life Enthusiast

There was a warning in a different area of the board that this list is not accurate. Face it there will never be a list that is 100% accurate, so just remember to always read EVERY label and if something makes you feel bad, cross it off the list, so you won't make the same mistake twice.

God bless,

Mariann :)

hillary-h Rookie

Is that kellogs corn puffs that have wheat in them I have been sending them to school everyday for my daughter its the only gluten-free cereal she would eat.

Hillary

gf4life Enthusiast

Hillary, Yes it is Kellogg's Corn Pops, but before you go throw out what is on your shelf, look at the manufacture date. They just started adding wheat to them in January, 2004, so if they were made before that date, they should be okay.

• 3 weeks later...
celiacfreeman Contributor

Corn pop I bought every box at wal mart. There no manf date but expire feb 05 and I did not see any gluten ingredient. I eat them everyday and have gained

10 lb in the 8 weeks i have been gluten-free, SO I'm thinkg they must be safe with that kind of weight gain. I think the old boxes are safe, stock up and write kellogs to protest!!!

LAWRY GRAVY package IS NOT gluten-free . it is on the list you all downloaded above.

love this forum I learn sooo much

elainegl Newbie

I went to the website originally referenced and found that they have a newer list that was last updated in January 2004 (and doesn't include Corn Pops). Here's the link:

Thanks for the heads up. It's a great list!

Elaine

Aightball Apprentice

I see Pepsi on that list...does this mean that I can have my Pepsi after all? I have to have the caffiene free version, but still. I've been rather addicted to Pepsi over the years. I'd love to start drinking it again!!!

Country923 Newbie

:D Thank you so much for your information on gluten-free foods. I am a new Celiac since October of 2003 and I am still having trouble with not knowing what foods I can eat. But, thanks to your information now, I am printing this book out and now I can look at it and see which ones I am able to buy without a problem. I sure do appreciate it.

NanSea

Guest jhmom

Hi Aightball:

Yes Pepsi is gluten-free, so enjoy!!!!

• 3 weeks later...
willamina Apprentice

will someone please reforward this link? i saved it as a favorite and now it seems the site no longer exists...

gf4life Enthusiast

Willamina,

The list was updated January and the link has changed. Here's the new link:

God bless,

Aightball Apprentice

Just re-reading the posts in here...what about adult cereals?

I just finished boxes of kid cereals (honey combs and alphabits) and am working on the end of a box of Corn pops. Honestly, I like these cereals, but before going gluten-free, I was eating things like Blueberry Morning from Post, or Fruit Harvest, ect, and want more cereals like that. I'm getting tired of Honey Combs and other kid type cereals. Any more grown-up type cereals that are gluten-free?

-Kel

gf4life Enthusiast

Other than corn flakes, puffed rice and Perky's Nutty Rice (sort of like grapenuts), all the other cereals I have found that are gluten-free, are sweetened, and much more like kid cereals. I think it is because adults are all supposed to try to get more fiber in their diets, so all the adult cereals have wheat and/or oats in them. I am also very frustrated with this. Some mornings I can't face another bowl of cereal!

God bless,

Mariann

• 1 month later...
gf4life Enthusiast

They updated this list yesterday. Just thought I would post the new link so people can still access the list.

God bless,

Mariann

mat4mel Apprentice

Kel,

I have the same problem w/ cereals. The gluten-free ones are just too sweet. I have one called Cranberry Sunshine by Kashi and it is soooo sweet. I just bought some of Health Valley's rice crunch ums (supposed to be like chex) and haven't tried them yet, but I will let you know how sweet it is.

Mel

Guest sushi

Mariann,

Thank you for the link, I will check out the list. I have been recently officially dr diagnosed (April 04), but I have been trying to be gluten-free since Jan 03.

Susette

Archived