This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Funky Vision

NOBREAD4ME

NOBREAD4ME Rookie

my quest to find a cure for my unknown illness, now dx as celiac disease, started with my weird vision problems.

Blurred vision, pressure, crusty feeling, focus difficulties. All sorts of other symptoms too but this is really a pain in the you know what.

Can anyone relate??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

chrissy Collaborator

my son is having these problems, but i haven't been able to get him to spend the money to get tested yet.

christine

Ursa Major Collaborator

Yes, I had those same kind of problems before going gluten (and many other things) free. It's much better now than it was. Somehow my vision has changed, though, and I'll have to get my eyes tested. I feel like my glasses aren't quite right any more (and I only got a new prescription 15 months ago).

casnco Enthusiast
my quest to find a cure for my unknown illness, now dx as celiac disease, started with my weird vision problems.

Blurred vision, pressure, crusty feeling, focus difficulties. All sorts of other symptoms too but this is really a pain in the you know what.

Can anyone relate??

nobread4me, I exeperience what the doctor called a visual migrane. That was the first sign I went to the doctor for before being diag. w/celiac. Now I know when I have been glutened because my visiion gets weird. My perscription changed also. My doctor is having a hard time understanding the changes. He is not familiar with Celiac and how it relates to vision. Oh, well. The good part is my sight is getting better. Good luck. Stay gluten free and hopefully your vision and other symptoms will go away.

Rachel--24 Collaborator

I had all those eye symptoms too. Sometimes it felt like I couldnt move my eyes...like they were stiff and dry. They hurt and for awhile I couldnt drive at night because of sensitivity to lights. I wore sunglasses all the time too. I had blurred vision periodically. They did tons of tests on my eyes but nothing came up and my vision was good. They did a catscan and an MRI and all they could tell me was I had dry eyes and to use drops. The drops intensified the pain. When I went off gluten my eye problems went away. I think my eyes were affected by both gluten and Graves Disease...so while both were occurring at the same time I had unbelievable eye pain like I wanted to die. When the Graves Disease was treated the eye problems were less severe but still there until I went on the diet.

Archived