This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Would You Eat Cheetos?

mart

mart Contributor

I've been extremely careful with my son's diet since his celiac diagnosis 6 months ago. After going gluten-free, he's still skinny and small, but he's grown about 2 inches and gained 8 pounds. I'm pretty happy with that! Will I screw up his progress by allowing him to eat Cheetos? I've heard so much about cross contamination with Frito Lay's products. But some of you say you eat Frito Lay's products with no problems at all. I feel so sorry for him and just want to give him something he used to love before going gluten-free if most people consider it safe. Thanks for your input.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

We eat Cheetos here with absolutely NO problems. We LOVE our Cheetos here!

Go ahead and give them to him, the only reason not to would be if he is intolerant to dairy as well, because they do contain dairy ingredients.

My daughter loves her day to bring the class snacks at school so that she can bring Cheetos or other Frito Lays snacks...

key Contributor

My celiac son and I eat cheetos with no problems. I didn't know there was a problem. I would let him indulge. I guess if he gets sick from them, but we have never gotten sick from them.

Monica

jerseyangel Proficient

If he has not been eating a lot of snack foods, I would just try a few to start with.

plantime Contributor

I also eat cheetos with no problems. I like the big fluffy ones better than the crunchy and hot ones.

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator

I ate cheetos yesterday -- no problems...

Becky6 Enthusiast

We eat cheetos with no problems around here!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

teankerbell Apprentice

I am afraid because I ate Fritos and had problems

Katerific Explorer

I should read more carefully! I thought I read Cheerios, not Cheetos!

Suezboss Apprentice
I am afraid because I ate Fritos and had problems

I've had problems with Fritos also :( so sad because they are my favorite! I think it might be hit or miss... depending on how well they cleaned the machines before making a bactch... so I'm tempted to try aonther bag of Fritos, but don't know if it's worth the risk...

Cheetos on the other hand- LOVE the crunchy ones and haen't had a problem thus far.

teankerbell Apprentice

Well, since everyone here hasn't had a problem, maybe I will give Cheetos a whirl! :lol:

Guest BERNESES

I haven't had a problem with either- other than that they are dangerously cheesy :P

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I used to eat cheetos and fritos corn chips with no porblem until I developed the corn intolerance--now no corn chips and I loved regular corn chips with cheese melted over them. Oh well, life goes on! Deb

teankerbell Apprentice

Oh wait, I can't eat those. I am casein intolerant. :-(

elonwy Enthusiast

I love cheetos. I eat them all the time. My fav now are the baked "natural" white cheddar puffs. Ooooh I can eat a whole bag by myself if I'm not careful.

Elonwy

loraleena Contributor

Bearitos makes a kind called crunchitos that are gluten free and taste better. They are also a lot better for you.

penguin Community Regular
I haven't had a problem with either- other than that they are dangerously cheesy :P

The cheetos aren't the only things that are dangerously cheesy :lol::rolleyes:

If it's cheese you're looking for, other than the orange cheeto variety, the smart_______ (sorry, brain fart) white cheddar popcorn is excellent! It's lay's, but I've had zero problems. I can eat a bag all by myself if I'm not careful :blink:

lgleeson Newbie

There is a brand called "Michael Season's" out now with the BEST cheetohs. I think they are better than the regular ones. Their website is www.seasonssnacks.com and they are called lite cheese puffs. They state that they are gluten-free right on the package.

Nate Apprentice

Took me a long time to figure out but I eat chips with caution cause they have caused me problems sometimes and sometimes not. They aren't a trusted source so beware!!!

N

floridanative Community Regular

Well the Celiac Program Univ. of Chicago basket they sent me post dx has a tiny bag of Cheetos in it! I had to laugh. I ate that bag but didn't try them again. But I did have Ruffles with no problems. And that Smart whatever white cheddar popcorn I agree is out of this world good.

chasesparents Rookie

Life without Cheetos ??? My son would die !!!!!

He has no problems with Cheetos.

kassixjo15 Newbie

i love my cheetos and cheetos puffs!!

i personally have never had any problems with any frito lay products

glen4cindy Apprentice
I've had problems with Fritos also :( so sad because they are my favorite! I think it might be hit or miss... depending on how well they cleaned the machines before making a bactch... so I'm tempted to try aonther bag of Fritos, but don't know if it's worth the risk...

Cheetos on the other hand- LOVE the crunchy ones and haen't had a problem thus far.

I eat Cheetos and Fritos with NO problems. However, the Chili-Cheese Fritos are a NO-NO! I think they have blue cheese in them, but, in any case, those are off limits.

zip2play Apprentice

We can eat Cheetos?!?! AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!

Monica

KaitiUSA Enthusiast

I eat Cheetos and the gluten free products from that brand with no problem and I am a very sensitive celiac. It's a personal decision though because some have had problems with it.

Archived