Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In

Small Bowel MRI?

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am pretty sure it is used to help diagnose Crohn’s.  

Non-functioning Gall bladder Removal Surgery 2005

Diagnosed via Blood Test (DGP IgA only) and Endoscopy: March 2013

Hashimoto's Thyroiditis

Osteopenia/osteoporosis -- June 2013

Allergies and Food Intolerances

Repeat endoscopy/Biopsies: Healed

Hi blurryface, I had a small bowel MRI, because I had ulcerations in my duodenum and my doctors wanted to see if they were also present in the jejeunum - the part of the small bowel beyond the reach of endoscopy. It usually shows any structural abnormalities in the intestine, lesions, ulcerations, and yes, it is usually done to check for inflammatory diseases like Crohn's, but can also be used for celiac disease complications.

1 hour ago, Corinne D. said:

Hi blurryface, I had a small bowel MRI, because I had ulcerations in my duodenum and my doctors wanted to see if they were also present in the jejeunum - the part of the small bowel beyond the reach of endoscopy. It usually shows any structural abnormalities in the intestine, lesions, ulcerations, and yes, it is usually done to check for inflammatory diseases like Crohn's, but can also be used for celiac disease complications.

Thank you for the detailed answer- this is really helpful. Do you remember if you had to have any kind of preparation for this procedure?

Yes, first I had to fast for at least six hours before the MRI. Some protocols may have you on a low-residue diet for a few days before. About one hour before I had to drink some laxative to completely empty the small bowel, but a lot less than the amount for a colonoscopy, maybe like half. They gave me an IV antispasmodic (glucagon) (to slow down the peristalsis caused by the laxative, so that they could actually see the intestine and take pictures) and halfway through the MRI the standard contrast agent, gadolinium. The MRI itself was OK, I was on my belly with my head outside of the tube, so no claustrophobia :) but the noise was still there alright. Just make sure your kidney tests are fine and drink lots of water afterwards to eliminate the IV products.