Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
7 7
otradiogirl

I still get acid reflux...

Rate this topic

Yes it’s so much better and not nearly as painful.  However like today zero gluten and maybe I ate too much food but the acid reflux is bad.  Is it the over eating?  I apparently need to change up something.  I’ve been gluten free since 10-28-20.  I get the feeling of stuck food and have the burps like crazy.  Some advice would be welcome!  

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

You may have another issue such as SIBO causing the acid reflux. Are you on any medication for the acid reflux? Have you made any dietary changes to address the reflux such as eliminating caffeine, tomatoes and citrus? Overeating and obesity can certainly contribute to acid reflux.

Also, I would suggest elevating the head of your bed.

I don't think that, if you have celiac disease, being gluten-free for only a couple of months is enough time to reverse your symptoms. When you say "like today zero gluten," I get the impression that you may not be strict enough with your diet. If you have celiac disease you need to be 100% gluten-free. Could you still be getting gluten in your diet?

These articles might be helpful:

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

After reading responses I appreciate the imput.  I am however 100% not eating gluten and have not since October 28.(I read labels very carefully and am not even eating Chinese food because of soy sauce we have not found gluten free as of yet but I am looking) I did not however realize that I could also have other digestion issues with certain foods.  I have been having issues apparently with lactose(after 2 bad bouts after consuming milk and ice cream was the latest) as well; so as of today the 6th of January, I am also going lactose free.  I have re-joined WW as I also need to lose the weight I had lost (regained some back) as that also is an issue with me (the overeating part)   I do realize this is not a quick process for me as I have had intolerence for over 15 years.  I am over 50 which also could mean this will take longer to completely heal.  I appreciate the great imput!  Thank you.  

Some starting the gluten-free diet tips for the first 6 months:

Get tested before starting the gluten-free diet.
Get your vitamin/mineral levels tested also.
Don't eat in restaurants
Eat only whole foods not processed foods.  That means meats, veggies, eggs, nuts and fruit.
Eat only food you cook yourself, think simple foods, not gourmet meals.
Take probiotics.
Take gluten-free vitamins.
Take digestive enzymes.
Avoid dairy if it causes symptoms.
Avoid sugars and starchy foods. They can cause bloating.
Avoid alcohol.
Watch out for cross contamination.

Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."

Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, celery, strawberries, pistachios, and hard work. Have a good day! 🙂 Paul

Some lipsticks and lipbalms contains gluten. Facial powders could also be a culprit.
Or it could be traces of gluten. Some celiacs can't handle even an microscopic amount. I'm one of them. Glucose syrup, dextrose and maltodextrin can be made from wheat starch. Most celiacs can handle the tiny tiny amount of gluten that might be left, but some cannot.
Try to exclude all foods with those ingredients if it's not specified that it's made from corn. 

If the doctor mention IBS, run. 

Many factors contribute to acid reflux. Some have been mentioned above by fellow friends, and I would like to add a few. I also have acid reflux but it is managed now. Acid reflux can be caused by certain healthy foods.

Fatty foods like fried foods and even avocado can trigger acid reflux because they take longer for the stomach to digest. If you eat healthy fats, please eat a moderate amount for the wellness of your stomach. 

Chocolates, especially dark ones are high in cocoa content. They relax the LES of the esophagus and promote acid reflux. Try to limit your intake of dark chocolate. 

Another food that relaxes your LES is mint.

Overeating is certainly a factor too.

On 1/2/2021 at 8:32 AM, trents said:

You may have another issue such as SIBO causing the acid reflux. Are you on any medication for the acid reflux? Have you made any dietary changes to address the reflux such as eliminating caffeine, tomatoes and citrus? Overeating and obesity can certainly contribute to acid reflux.

Also, I would suggest elevating the head of your bed.

Exactly. Elevating the head of the bed works wonders for people who have acid reflux mostly at night time. I experienced this myself.