Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

• You've found your Celiac Tribe! Join our like-minded, private community and share your story, get encouragement and connect with others.

💬

• Sign In
3 3
cristiana

Increased sensitivity after a bad glutening?

Rate this topic

Happy New Year Friends!

A quick question - I was very badly glutened with a slice of cake containing normal flour just before Christmas, served up to be my mistake.   My symptoms were really severe this time albeit shortlived.   In the early days post-DX a glutening would make me feel sick,  with chills, then D, and then I would slowly recover with a bit of dizziness (a bit like sea sickness) for a while, and 2-3 weeks of what felt like gastritis (sore stomach) which I could normally see off with a BRAT diet and some PPIs for a short while.

This last episode, just before Christmas, I felt sick, got chills, and then was sick about 2-3 hours after eating the cake.  I haven't vomited like that since I was a child.  And as for the light-headedness, I could hardly stand up.    On the plus side however,  although the symptoms seemed very extreme I think because the food didn't have to pass through me I did get better quite quickly and was able to eat a fairly normal Christmas diet within days, and except a bit of colicky bloating and sea sickness, and some twitchy muscles, I felt pretty good.

However, this morning I woke up and as soon as I started to eat breakfast felt nauseous.  It subsided.  I felt fine all morning until I had lunch, and wham, felt sick, got chills, then D (thankfully no sickness this time).  I had to go to bed and sleep things off.

My question is, if one is glutened is one more susceptible to reacting more severely to a small amount of CC a few days later - i.e. is the body more reactive?  Or perhaps, is one more susceptible to catching a virus or perhaps mild food poisoning post-glutening.

Thanks!

C

Diagnosed by blood test and endoscopy Spring 2013

Adopted a gluten-free diet in May 2013

BRITISH

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

After being gluten-free for years, some people get more sensitive to tiny amount of contamination, and some people less. It seems to vary greatly from individual to individual. This article might help:

I hope you recover quickly! Happy New Year!

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com

Hi Scott

Thanks so much for sending these really helpful tips.

My husband reminded me that I got gastritis type pain about 2-3 weeks after my last major glutening and it's happening again, so very timely.  

Happy New Year to you too!

Cristiana

BRITISH

Cristiana....you got gastritis pain 2-3 WEEKS after your glutening, or did you mean 2-3 days???

CAROLE

-------------

Enterolab 1/2006

IgA & tTg Positive

DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)

Casein IgA positive

Mom has 2 celiac genes

Both kids have a celiac gene.

Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

Hi CMCM

It's a pattern and yes, my stomach area starts to feel really sore/burn about  2-3 weeks after, although it can be sooner.  Thankfully a few days on omeprazole seems to sort it.

Very odd.

BRITISH

This would definitely make it very difficult to determine how and where you might get contamination. If you eat outside your home consider GliadinX AN-PEP enzymes (a sponsor here), as they have been shown in studies to break down small amounts of gluten in the stomach. I've been using them for a couple of years now with positive results. 

Scott Adams

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

Founder Celiac.com