bluejeangirl

Mcdonalds For Breakfast?

Rate this topic

The Cuties, and apple slices are safe.....all fried items, breakfast items, main menu etc are not safe, same griddle/fryers. The salads are a high risk issue do to the bins and and reaching into them with tongs/gloves along with the croutons etc. I would avoid them at all cost.

McDonalds is a go-to place for me when travelling. The hash browns are fried at the front by the window crew, and share fryer oil oil with the fries, which are also gluten-free. The eggs and sausage patties are done on the same grill at the back where the beef patties are done, by the grill crew. Nothing that contains gluten is prepared on the griddle. Ask for a Big Breakfast without a bun/biscuit and you will be fine. Over 16 years doing this--never had a problem once.

Well for everyone that misses the bacon egg and cheese biscuit, I assure you it's not worth it. I ate it as one meal during the recent  gluten challenge had to stop a few times during consumption as my knot in throat developed. I must say I had idealized it since I had not eaten it in 4 years. It was not pleasurable as I fantasized about and the joint pain lasted for weeks.  The shipped sailed for sure!

10 hours ago, psawyer said:

McDonalds is a go-to place for me when travelling. The hash browns are fried at the front by the window crew, and share fryer oil oil with the fries, which are also gluten-free. The eggs and sausage patties are done on the same grill at the back where the beef patties are done, by the grill crew. Nothing that contains gluten is prepared on the griddle. Ask for a Big Breakfast without a bun/biscuit and you will be fine. Over 16 years doing this--never had a problem once.

What I found on the site, they changed to this 2-4 years ago. On a side note it could depend on how sensitive you are to gluten and the dependent batch. Hydrolyzed wheat is a tricky thing as the way the process it can remove some or almost all of the offending gluten proteins.

HASH BROWNS
Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*), Salt, Corn Flour, Dehydrated Potato, Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Extractives of Black Pepper. *Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients Contains: WHEAT, MILK.

FRENCH FRIES
Ingredients: Potatoes, Vegetable Oil (Canola Oil, Corn Oil, Soybean Oil, Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Natural Beef Flavor [Wheat and Milk Derivatives]*), Dextrose, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate (Maintain Color), Salt. *Natural beef flavor contains hydrolyzed wheat and hydrolyzed milk as starting ingredients. Contains: WHEAT, MILK.

Also I know at least locally they grill the inside of the mcgriddles and and the mc muffins, they get put on the griddle and charred a bit before putting them together.

The wheat and milk being present is old news, first disclosed under FALCPA legislation in 2006. A small amount of each is contained in a flavor which is added to the oil in which the products are partially fried before being frozen. The fry oil at the store does not contain flavor. There is no detectable gluten in the final product. Make you own decision. I made mine long ago.

On 11/11/2016 at 3:07 PM, Ennis_TX said:

This is outdated information as McD's now uses wheat flour in both products as a binding agent. And fries them in shared fryers with other gluten containing products. ........Ok who revived this 10 year old topic anyway.

Wow I didnt know that. Here in the UK their fries and hashbrowns are safe, it's one of the few high st fast food options that remain to me so it's a good emergency food:

http://www.mcdonalds.co.uk/ukhome/whatmakesmcdonalds/questions/food/gluten/are-mcdonalds-fries-gluten-free.html