This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

What Lipstick Do You Use?

floridanative

jenvan Collaborator

Oh-I like those shimmers too Berneses!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jerseyangel Proficient

I love the shimmers, too! I have several colors :)

• 4 weeks later...
NicoleAJ Enthusiast

Make sure you're careful with MAC--I had some problems with my shades. I had to donate them to friends and hear them rave about how great they were.

By the way, does anyone know about MAC studio fix powder or concealer--I've invested so much money in my MAC makeup that I'm afraid to call them to see if it contains wheat, but I really should find this out. I've started to worry when my boyfriend kisses my cheek and then kisses me--what if I'm getting glutened from the makeup?

Guest BERNESES

You should PM jmunchkin- she knows a lot about estee Lauder, Mac, etc. There haave been severaal threads which she has responded to. I want to say she works for a company that does business with them. Here's the last info i had:

MAC makeup:

The studio finish powder

The bronzers

Their eyeshadows (except the luxe pearl ones)

Masqueras (except the prolong lash)

Eye pencils/kohls

Lipglass

are all gluten-free!!

Matilda Enthusiast

DingoGirl Enthusiast
Well I wanted to report that despite the one rude woman at L'Oreal, I called back and got a human. She cofirmed what the other rep. said but with the rudeness, I was worried I had not written everything down correctly. Walgreen's has the L'Oreal Colour Riche l/s on sale for $1 off this week. That made is $6.99 ea. so I got three tubes. I remembered when I saw it that I liked it from a while back when I tried it. Yea! finally a low price good lipstick that stays on!

I can't believe I forgot to post this about L'Oreal on this thread :ph34r: - I did post it somewhere else. I use L'Oreal Enless 8-Hour and it's great. Here's the response I got from them:

February 22, 2006

Thank you for your interest in Endless 8 Hour Comfortable Lipcolour.

The safety of our consumers is our highest priority. As a global leader, the L'Oréal group of companies, which includes L'Oréal Paris, is dedicated to rigorous standards of manufacturing excellence that result in the highest product quality. The products we sell meet the most stringent standards for safety.

All the ingredients we use in a product are listed on the package or the label of the product itself. For products too small to accommodate the list, we provide separate ingredient lists you may take from the display. Since some ingredients are known by more than one name, we use the standard industry names for ingredients as found in the International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary. This dictionary lists FDA-approved names.

Endless 8 Hour Comfortable Lipcolour does not contain Gluten.

If you would like to request an ingredient list for a specific product, please call us at 1-800-322-2036, Monday - Friday, 9 am to 5 pm, ET.

We hope this information is helpful.

Rusla Enthusiast

Maybelline is part of L'Oreal, their lipsticks, powder, foundation, mascara, eye shadows and eyeliner have the ingredients listed on the packages and their mascara xxl and liquid eye liner and lipstick don't have any gluten in them. The pure liquid. foundation does. I suggest taking a magnifying glass with you like I did or you won't be able to read most of the ingredients.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Okay, now I've got to try the Burt's Bees Shimmers -- you guys make them sound GREAT -- you ought to get paid for the endorsements! That's what I miss about Aveda lipstick -- the peppermint! (Aveda states that all of their products contain gluten :rolleyes: )

Vincent, if you ever DO try lipstick, we want the picture to be your new avatar!!!!! :lol:

Be careful with the Bare Escentuals moisturizers. I use the make-up, and received some free samples -- all contained "hydrolyzed wheat protein". Just check the label.

I'm a girly-girl, too, but given that I was a single parent to a boy, I've had to tone that down and toughen up. My son still says that, even though I'm a worth opponent in sports, I'm still VERY girly-girl!!!!!

Just dawned on me -- and these are the times that it is the toughest -- I USED to be a worth opponent in sports. . . . . :(

Lillyth Explorer

I use Mary Kay for almost everything, though I aven't checked what's in it. I will be calling my Mary Kay gal tomorrow to find out - I'll report back.

And yes, carmex ROCKS!!!!!! :D

debmidge Rising Star

Despite the fact that my husband is the celiac and I am not this topic is very important to me. After 27 years of marriage he still kisses me.....so I want to make sure that I am wearing gluten free make up and lipsticks.

Guest BERNESES
Despite the fact that my husband is the celiac and I am not this topic is very important to me. After 27 years of marriage he still kisses me.....so I want to make sure that I am wearing gluten free make up and lipsticks.

Absolutely! that is really sweet! :wub:

I use Mary Kay for almost everything, though I aven't checked what's in it. I will be calling my Mary Kay gal tomorrow to find out - I'll report back.

And yes, carmex ROCKS!!!!!! :D

Good luck -- my contact with Mary Kay said that I needed to contact my representative, because they could get a LIST of all gluten-free products. My husband's best friend's wife sells Mary Kay (and has hounded me with a vengance), but I asked her to get the list. This is lengthy, but here is the letter they sent to her about her request:

RE: Lynne Wagner

Dear Tricia,

Thank you for your inquiry to Consultant and Medical Relations.

The ingredient information below has been evaluated for those with Celiac Sprue and provided using our best efforts based on our current knowledge. Although we have attempted to be complete, because of the vast number of ingredients we receive from different sources, it is not possible to guarantee that our products are completely gluten-free. Additionally, the information below may change without prior notice, as we introduce or modify products.

Ingredient listings can be found on our packaging material, in accordance with FDA regulations, using names which are standard throughout the cosmetic and fragrance industry.

Please consult with your physician for guidance.

The following are examples of gluten ingredients, to the best of our knowledge, should be avoided: Barley, Dextrins, Hydrogenated Soy Glycerides, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Hydrogenated Palm Glycerides, Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Glycerides, Hydrogenated Tallow Glycerides, Hydrogenated Vegetable Glyderides, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Wheat Proein Hydroxypropyl Polysiloxane, Hydrolyzed Whole Wheat Protein, PEG-6 Caprylic/Capric Glycerides, Sunflower Seed Oil Glycerides, Wheat Amino Acids, Wheat Bran Extract, Wheat Extract, Wheat Germ Glycerides, Wheat Germ Oil, Tall Oil Glycerides, Maltodextrin.

Other ingredient information to be aware of:

- Alcohol Denat: source usually synthetic, but cannot guarantee from a grain source.

- Colorants: May utilize a grain ingredient in the manufacturing process.

- Citric Acid: May utilize a grain ingredient in the manufacturing process.

- Millet: may need to be avoided, pending further research.

- Oat Flour: cross-contamination can occur during processing of oat and what.

- Glycerides, monoglycerides, diglycerides, and triglycerides: May contain a potentially wheat-relalted carbohydrate chain used as a binding substance in their preparation.

-Flavor/Flavour/Natural Flavoring: products containing flavors should be avoided.

- Vitamins - please call 1-800-652-9848 for additional details on Mary Kay Daily Benefits Vitamins.

Informative internet sites (NOT endorsed by Mary Kay)

www.celiac.com

www.csaceliacs.org

Should you have any questions after reviewing this information, please don't hesitate to contact Consultant and Medical Relations at (972) 687-5577, Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.m to 5 p.m. Central time.

Sincerely,

Debbie Brooks

Technical Correspondent

If they give this to their consultants, what are they going to tell US??????? :blink:

That is so SWEET! I love to hear stories like that -- it makes my heart feel good. :wub:

debmidge Rising Star

AVON PRODUCTS GLUTEN FREE

SKINCARE:

SOLUTIONS:

Solutions Nurtura Replenishing Cream

Solutions Dramatic Firming Cream

Solutions Keep It Clean Multi Vitamin Cleanser

Solutions Keep It Fresh Multi - Vitamin Toner

Solutions Moisture 24

Solutions Hydrofirming Bio 6 Day Cream SPF 15

Solutions Hydrofirming Bio 6 Night Cream

Solutions Healthy Boost Skintrition Moisture Lotion

Solutions Multi-Boost Daily Vitamin Moisturizing Cream

Solutions Banishing Cream

Solutions Sweet Finish Sugar Scrub

Solutions Advanced Eye Perfector

Solutions Beautifully Protected SPF30

Solutions Cellu-Sculpt Body Anti-Cellulite Slimming Treatment

Solutions Re-Fine Stretch Mark Smoother

Clearskin Color Changing Mask

True Pore Fection Skin Refining Cream Cleanser

True Pore Fection Skin refining Toner

True Pore Fection Oil-Free Clearing Lotion

True Pore Fection Skin Refining Mask

True Pore Fection Spot Clearing Treatment

ANEW:

Anew Alternative

Anew Ultra Cream Cleanser

Anew Clarifying Essence

Anew Pure 02 Oxygenating Youth Complex SPF 15

Anew Luminosity Ultra

Anew Instant Eye Smoother

Anew Clearly C 10% Vitamin C Serum

Anew Advance All in One Self Adjusting Cream

Anew Advanced All In One Max Lotion SPF15

Anew Advanced All In One Max Cream SPF15

Anew Line Eliminator Lip Complex

Anew Line Eliminator Dual Retinol Facial Treatment

Anew Line Eliminator Neo Retinol Line Plumper

Anew Perfect Eye Care Cream

Anew Perfect Eye Care Cream (repackage)

Anew Clinical Lift & Tuck Professional Body Shaper

Anew Clinical 2 Step Facial Peel

Anew Retroactive + Repair Body Lotion

Anew Retroactive Body

Anew Retroactive Cream

Anew Retroactive 2 In 1 Cleanser

Anew Force Extra Triple Lifting Night Cream

Anew Force Extra Triple Lifting Day Cream

Anew Force Extra Triple Lifting Eye Cream

COLOR:

Split Second Blush Stick

Beyond Color Perfecting Foundation with Natural Match

Beyond Color Vertical Lift Foundation

Perfect Wear Eye Liner

Perfect Wear Eyewriter Liquid Eyeliner

Glimmersticks Eye Liner

Waterproof Glimmersticks Eye Liner

True Color Eyeshadow

Astonishing Lengths Mascara

Washoff Waterproof Mascara

Perfect Wear Lash Supreme Mascara

Glimmersticks Brow Definer

Ultra Color Rich Renewable Lipstick

Beyond Color Nutralush Lip Conditioner with Retinol

Beyond Color Plumping Lipcolor

Glazewear Liquid Lip Color

Brilliant Moisture

Perfect Wear All Day Comfort Lipstick

Perfect Wear Ink & Gloss

Fruity Lip Juice Lipgloss.

Fruity Lip Juice with Sparkles

Color Trend Lip Balm Tints

Perfect Wear Makeup Remover

Nail Experts Marine Nourisher -

Nailwear Nail Enamel

Kissie Delights Lip Balm

Ultra Luxury Eye Liner

Glazewear Metallics Lip Gloss

Beyond Color Line Softening Mousse Blush

Daring Definition Mousse Mascara

Beyond Color Quick Pen Plumping Lip Gloss

Beyond Color Lip Exfoliator

Loose Powder Eyeshadow Pot

Ultra Moisture Rich Lipstick

Nail Experts Liquid Freeze Quick Dry Spray

Kissable Lip Frost

Be Kissable All Over Face Palette

Kissie Delights Lip Balm

Candy Mix Lip Balm

FRAGRANCE:

Wild Country After Shave Conditioner

Imari EDP Spray

Bee Kissable EDT

Tommorrow For Men

Fragrant Blooms Room And Linen Spray

Blue Rush Hair And Body Wash

mark.

Toning Pads

Scrub Mask

Body Scrub

Hydrator

Cleanser

Mattifier

Spot Away

mark. Customer Pick Eye Shadow

new shades: Hollywood & Vixen

Crystal Shimmer Hook-Up Powder

Good Glowing Pick Powder Blush

4 In Your Dreams Overnight Acne Treatment for Misbehaving Skin

Healthy Shots Mini Facial

Patisserie Eye Soufflé Profile

Patisserie Lip Palette Profile

Crystal Aura Pout Potion Profile

Glow Baby Glow Hook Up Lip Gloss

Luminous Anti-Stretch Mark Cream

Eye Be Good Preventative Eye Cream

Iridescent Lip Palette

Iridescent Eye Palette

Face Glossing Gel

Lip Shineline

Flight of Fancy Lip Palette (promotional)

True Pore Fection Oil-Free Clearing Lotion

True Pore Fection Skin Refining Mask

True Pore Fection Spot Clearing Treatment

PERSONAL CARE & MISC.

Silicone Glove

Bronze Self Tan Cream Face SPF6

Solutions Re-Fine Stretch Mark Smoother

Cellu-Sculpt Anti-Cellulite Slimming Treatment

Vita Moist Hand Cream

Fresh Peach Bubble Bath

Vanilla Cream Bubble Bath

Sensitive Skin Bubble Bath

Kids Bubble Bath

Soft Pink Bubble Bath

Vanilla Cinnamon Bubble Bath

Bubble Bath Angel Mini Soaps

Moisture Therapy Moisturizing Lip Treatment

Moisture Therapy Intensive Body Lotion

Moisture Therapy Aloe Body Lotion

Moisture Therapy Extra Strength Cream

Moisture Therapy Olive Body Lotion

Avon Basics Care Deeply with Aloe Lip Balm

Flavor Savers Lip Gloss

Avon Basics Care Deeply with Aloe Body Lotion

Avon Basics Care Deeply with Cocoa Butter Body Lotion

Footworks Double Action Sloughing Cream

SSS Original Bath Oil

SSS Bug Guard Plus

SSS BGP - sponge

SSS BGP Aerosol.

SSS Soft Soft & Sensual Body Polish

SSS Smooth Hair Minimizing Lotion

SSS Smart Moisture Body Lotion

SSS Nourishing Body Lotion

SSS Replenishing Body Lotion

SSS Creamy Body Wash

SSS Calming Bath Milk

SSS Replenishing Body Oil Spray

SSS Facial Hair Remover

SSS Shaving Cream

Avon Sun Baby Lotion SPF 40

Self Tan Lotion

Naturals Cucumber Melon Body Lotion

Naturals Lip Balm

Naturals Antibacterial Hand Gels

Naturals Lavender and Chamomile Foam Bath

Cocoa and Lotus Flower Body Lotion

Cocoa and Lotus Flower Shower Gel

Cocoa and Lotus Flower Foam Bath

Cocoa and Lotus Flower Body Spray

Apple Cinnamon Spice Room & Linen Spray

Naturals Mango Lip Balm

Autumn Comforts Lip Balm

Dew Kiss Lip Dew

Floral Prints Sheer Rose Body Spray

Floral Prints Sheer Rose Body Cream

Floral Prints Sheer Rose Shower Gel

Floral Prints Magnolia Soap

Planet Spa Mediterranean Conditioning Hair Mask

Planet Spa Mediterranean Creamy Facial Wash

Planet Spa Mediterranean Whipped Body Creme

Planet Spa Shea Butter Brown Sugar Scrub

Planet Spa Shea Butter Calming Moisture Milk

Planet Spa Shea Butter Hand and Cuticle Creme

Planet Spa Shea Butter Light Body Lotion

Be Kissable Sassy Souflle Body Creme

Be Kissable Seductive Bubble Bath and Shower Wash

I hope I've helped.

Did you know that you can shop online while still receiving the personal

Avon touch from an Avon Representative?

Get all the convenience of the Internet with the attention of a personal

shopper. Our Representatives' websites offer the full Avon product line

that you can shop whenever you like. And, with the click of a mouse, you

can contact your Representative for advice or information. Just go to

www.AVON.com and click on "Find a Representative" in the middle of the

page under "Get the Personal Touch."

Sincerely,

Fran

Avon Information Center

Lillyth Explorer
If they give this to their consultants, what are they going to tell US??????? :blink:

I will pass this info along to my rep, who is pretty high up in the company. I left a message for her last night, and told her she could have more than the usual 24 hours to get back to me (she always returns calls within 24 hours). (Especially since I called on a Saturday, and I didn't hink it was fair to ask for a response on a day MK was probably closed - the business office anyway).

Thank you for the info - I will prep her with this info & tell her that that sort of response is NOT good enough. :angry:

I'll let you know what I hear back.

Lil

Lillyth Explorer
I will pass this info along to my rep, who is pretty high up in the company. I left a message for her last night, and told her she could have more than the usual 24 hours to get back to me (she always returns calls within 24 hours). (Especially since I called on a Saturday, and I didn't hink it was fair to ask for a response on a day MK was probably closed - the business office anyway).

Thank you for the info - I will prep her with this info & tell her that that sort of response is NOT good enough. :angry:

I'll let you know what I hear back.

Lil

I heard back from my MK rep this morning before I could call her. I got back basically the same info we saw above. I called her back & let her know that I am now torn - I love their products, but if I can't be sure they are gluten free I cannot contine to buy them. I also let her know that there are a bunch of pissed-off celiacs out there who won't buy their products because of this. I thought she would want to know (so she can let the compnay know that they are excluding a bunch of potential consumers).

I will let you all know how this progresses...

Lil

I heard back from my MK rep this morning before I could call her. I got back basically the same info we saw above. I called her back & let her know that I am now torn - I love their products, but if I can't be sure they are gluten free I cannot contine to buy them. I also let her know that there are a bunch of pissed-off celiacs out there who won't buy their products because of this. I thought she would want to know (so she can let the compnay know that they are excluding a bunch of potential consumers).

I will let you all know how this progresses...

Lil

Thank you for trying . . . it's pretty disgusting when you get an answer like that, isn't it? Maybe your rep will be able to nudge them into being a little more socially responsible when it comes to health-related issues. Either that, or we can bombard them with letters thanking them for letting us know that they have no interest in the health of their consumers, and that, we as a very large number of consumers, will initiate a boycott of their products.

Lynne

jenvan Collaborator

Hopefully I didn't already post this to this thread...I switched from MAC, Aveda, Nars, Stila....to Bare Escentuals. They are good--very moisturizing.

hlm34 Apprentice

I love Stila, philosophy, Lancome and Bobbi Brown. I just got some lancome juicy tubes in my easter basket. They smell so good. The Philosophy lipstick i got is called "fiction". very pretty, neutral color. The juicy tubes are a gloss. I like "tickled pink". Lancome has some very good lipsticks too.

sandycurley Newbie

I am terribly sorry that you guys have gotten the response from Mary kay that you did. I am a Mary Kay Consultant and have been for 13 years. I was diagnosed in August and that was the first thing I did was check with the company. And the lipsticks are safe as are most of their products if not all. They do list all of their ingredients for every product that is available to us consultants. And going through everything, and working with medical relations, are products are safe. I never stopped using them, and I am doing great! I hope this helps clear up some information.

Sandy Curley

Thanks for clearing that up for us! If you can, please help their coordination of medical information out. It's pretty bad when people from different states (and these are consultants) get the same rotten information! I'm glad you were able to get to the "good stuff" and help us out! Thank you . . . . Lynne

I just called the Vital Radiance (aka Old Lady) make-up line after an advertisement on TV. It's 1-800-radiant. They were fantastic! They have a gluten-free list, they're going to e-mail it to me within 24 hours. After that, I'll be able to pick which sample I want sent to me, and they'll send a coupon with it. They are also going to send a list of possible cross-contamination products. The girl with whom I spoke also said that she will look into how they clean the drums in between mixing gluten-containing products and gluten-free products. I thought that was pretty good. So . . . if you want samples, call the 800 number!

• 1 month later...
fanny Apprentice
Oh-I like those shimmers too Berneses!

Are all burt's bee's shimmer colors Gluten Free?

DingoGirl Enthusiast
My husband and I love Carmex! It is the best.

Monica

wow, am I the only one whose lips crack and bleed from Carmex? Also Blistex....I inherited my dad's super-sensitive lips and can only use Bag Balm on top of my L'Oreal or Mac lipsticks.

dionnek Enthusiast

I'm confused - I just got this list from Loreal of the ingredients in their products that contain gluten - maltodextrin being one of them. I thought maltodextrin was one of the "safe" things we could eat (I remember thinking it was not safe b/c of the word "malt" but then being corrected that it WAS safe) - what's the deal?

The following list of ingredients that are used in our products, are those that contain wheat and other grains. This list may also be used by the celiac patient to identify gluten-containing ingredients. This list gives the standard industry names for ingredients as found in the International Cosmetic Ingredient Dictionary.

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour

Cyclodextrin

Dextrin

Dextrin Palmitate

Hydrolyzed Oat Flour

Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Flour

Hydrolyzed Wheat Gluten

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein

Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein/PVP Crosspolymer

Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch

Maltodextrin

Secale Cereale (Rye) Seed Flour

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Extract

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Germ Oil

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Gluten

Triticum Vulgare (Wheat) Starch

Wheat Amino Acids

Wheat Germ Glycerides

Wheat Germamidopropalkonium Chloride

Wheat Protein

Wheatgermamidopropyl Ethyldimonium Ethosulfate

Yeast Extract

watkinson Apprentice

Hi, I don't know if anyone has mentioned this brand yet or not, but for a really cheap alternative, wet & wild is Gluten free. YOu can get it at Walmart, Target, and most drug stores. It's about 1 or 2 bucks.

Wendy

Archived