This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ut-oh- The Easter Bunny Is Coming... Does He Know What's gluten-free?

Sagesmama

Sagesmama Rookie

:P

This is our first "food holiday" since being diagnosed. I keep seeing all kinds of tempting Easter candy everywhere- especially on sale and want to stock up for Sage's Easter basket. He was also invited to an egg hunt where all the kids are to bring 12 filled eggs- I was thinking that I would put a special sticker on the outside of his 12 eggs and those are the ones that he specifically has to find (usually they get all mixed up) but what's gluten-free and what isn't? I'm looking for great basket and egg ideas for Easter candy since this is one of those holidays that companies make "special candy" for- the ingredients might differ right?

Post your ideas please! (and no getting away with "try treats that aren't candy- like stickers and small toys). This IS the "candy holiday" in our house :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest nini

Open Original Shared Link

this should help you...

some of our favorites are M&M's, Skittles, Hershey's Kisses, Jolly Rancher Jelly Beans, Starburst and Starburst Jelly Beans, Cadbury Cream Eggs and Mini Eggs. There really is a LOT of safe candy out there for Easter! Have fun!

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Always keep in mind that sometimes companies change the shape of their candy for holidays, these shapes are not guaranteed to be the same ingredients as usual. So always be a label reader. I know that sometimes reeses has different small shaped things and they sometimes contain wheat. Large reeses cups are safe, the large eggs shapes are fine, but there are sometimes some small things that are not. Just use caution Hoppy Easter :)

-Jessica :rolleyes:

VydorScope Proficient

Rabbit meat is gluten-free.....

Canadian Karen Community Regular

Vincent,

You are incorrigible! :lol:;)

Hugs!

Karen

uclangel422 Apprentice

Just checked at Target this weekend.

The Reese's mini peanut butter eggs do have wheat flour in them.

Here's some info:

Cadbury:

Cadbury Trebor Allan (Open Original Shared Link) (vw=1-31-03)

Regular Bars: Jersey Milk 45g, Caramilk 52g, Caramilk Rolls 47g, Burnt Almond 48g, Jersey Milk Buds 37g, Dairy Milk Rolls 47g, Caramilk Dark 52g, Pep 48g, Cerises 45g, Sweet Marie 60g, Coconut 48g, Dairy Milk 48g, Fruit and Nut 48g, Fruit et Noix 48g, Hazelnut 48g, Gold Mine 45g, Ivory Mountain 48g, Amazon Brittle, Nut Supreme 48g, Almond 48g, Crunchie 44g, Yogurt 52g, Crunchie Crush 44g,

Family Bars: Hazelnut 100g, Fruit et Noix 100g, Fruit and Nut 100g, Dairy Milk 100g, Caramilk 100g, Gold Mine 95g, Ivory Mountain 100g, Amazon Brittle 100g, Nut Supreme 100g, Almond 100g, Orange 100g, Jersey Milk 100g, Burnt Almond 100g, Premium Dark 100g, Mint 100g, Caramilk Dark 100g, Jersey Almond 100g, Jersey Toffee 100g, Raspberry 100g

Miniature Bars: Caramilk 1 bite, Dairy Milk 1 bite, Jersey Milk 2 bite, Caramilk 2 bite, Crunchie 2 bite, Dairy Milk 2 bite,

Sharing bars: Dairy Milk 200g, Fruit and Nut 200g, Fruit et Noix 200g, Hazelnut 200g, Caramilk 185g,

Fundraising Bars: Almond 100g, Caramilk 100g,

SnackBoxes/Willopack: Golden Buds 145g, Coconut 145g, Coolmints 145g, Nut Fudge Clusters 145g, Macaroons 145g & 485g, Dark Buds 145g & 485g, Golden Buds 485g

Cadbury Easter Products: Mini Eggs, Crème Eggs, Caramilk Eggs, Truffle Eggs, The Great Bunny, Magic Hollow Eggs, Hunting Eggs, Peter Rabbit, Wishing Well Hen, Solid Bunny Pops, Rabiteers,

Starch /Jelly Candy: Cherry Blasters, Fuzzy Peach, Gummi Bears, Gummi Worms, Jujubes, Sour Patch Kids, Sour Patch Keys, Swedish Berries, Wild Strawberries, Wine Gums

Other Candy: Candy Canes, Karnival Pops, Halloween Kisses

Cadbury (Cadbury Trebor Allen) CANADA (Open Original Shared Link) (vs=09/2002)

Cadbury Regular Bars (Jersey Milk 45g, Caramilk 52g, Caramilk Rolls 47g, Burnt Almond 48g, Jersey Milk Buds 37g, Dairy Milk Rolls 47g, Caramilk Dark 52g, Pep 48g, Cerises 45g, Sweet Marie 60g, Coconut 48g, Dairy Milk 48g, Fruit and Nut 48g, Fruit et Noix 48g, Hazelnut 48g, Gold Mine 45g, Ivory Mountain 48g, Amazon Brittle, Nut Supreme 48g, Almond 48g, Crunchie 44g, Yogurt 52g, Crunchie Crush 44g,)

Cadbury (Cadbury Trebor Allen) CANADA (Open Original Shared Link) (vw=09/2002)

Family Bars (Hazelnut 100g, Fruit et Noix 100g, Fruit and Nut 100g, Dairy Milk 100g, Caramilk 100g, Gold Mine 95g, Ivory Mountain 100g, Amazon Brittle 100g, Nut Supreme 100g, Almond 100g, Orange 100g, Jersey Milk 100g, Burnt Almond 100g, Premium Dark 100g, Mint 100g, Caramilk Dark 100g, Jersey Almond 100g, Jersey Toffee 100g, Raspberry 100g)

Miniatures (Caramilk 1 bite, Dairy Milk 1 bite, Jersey Milk 2 bite, Caramilk 2 bite, Crunchie 2 bite, Dairy Milk 2 bite)

Sharing Bars (Dairy Milk 200g, Fruit and Nut 200g, Fruit et Noix 200g, Hazelnut 200g, Caramilk 185g)

Fundraising Bars (Almond 100g, Caramilk 100g)

Snackboxes, Willopacks (Golden Buds 145g, Coconut 145g, Coolmints 145g, Nut Fudge Clusters 145g, Macaroons 145g & 485g, Dark Buds 145g & 485g, Golden Buds 485g)

Easter Products (Mini Eggs, Crème Eggs, Caramilk Eggs, Truffle Eggs, The Great Bunny, Magic Hollow Eggs, Hunting Eggs, Peter Rabbit, Wishing Well Hen, Solid Bunny Pops, Rabiteers)

Starch/Jelly Products (Cherry Blasters, Fuzzy Peach, Gummi Bears, Gummi Worms, Jujubes, Sour Patch Kids, Sour Patch Keys, Swedish Berries, Wild Strawberries, Wine Gums)

Other Candies (Candy Canes, Karnival Pops, Halloween Kisses)

Hersheys:

Hershey's (800.468.1714) (vp=12/10/04)

Kisses, Kisses with Caramel, Rich Dark Kisses, Kisses with Almonds, Milk Duds, Almond Joy, Mr. Goodbar, Hershey Bar, Hershey Bar with Almonds, Reeses Bites (food starch corn or tapioca)

Hershey's (800.468.1714) (vs=4/24/02)

Jolly Rancher (hard candy and lollipops);

Hershey Chocolate Bars (Hershey Canada Inc)(1-800-468-1714) (vp= 07/08/2004)

Both the Creamy Milk Chocolate bars and the Special Dark Chocolate Bars are gluten-free. Since wheat is one of the eight protein allergens, it will be listed on the label, including if there was a possibility of cross-contamination. It is Hershey’s policy to list clearly list allergens on their labels. NOTE: Miniature candy bars are not gluten free (including the Special Dark and Hershey's Milk Chocolate and Mr. Goodbar candies). Hershey's says that you cannot assume that the same candy bar is gluten free in different sizes

Just Born Candies:

Just Born Candies (888.645.3453) (ve=1-13-05)

We do not use wheat, rye, barley or oats in any of our candies, which, to the best of our knowledge, are all gluten-free. The modified food starch we use in the manufacture of our jelly bean candies is corn starch. Following is a complete list of our current product line:

YEAR-ROUND CANDIES

Mike And Ike - Original Fruits, Tropical Typhoon, Berry Blast, Jolly Joes-Grape

Hot Tamales And Super Hot - Hot Tamales

Zours - Original Fruitz And Punch Fruitz

Teenee Beanee Jelly Beans

Peanut Chews

VALENTINE'S DAY

Strawberry And Vanilla Creme Flavored Marshmallow Peeps Hearts

Non-flavored Hearts

EASTER

Marshmallow Peeps And Bunnies

Strawberry, Vanilla And Orange Creme Flavored Marshmallow Peeps Eggs

Mike And Ike Easter Treats

Just Born Jelly BeansHALLOWEEN

Marshmallow Peeps Pumpkins, Spooky Cats And Ghosts

Marshmallow Peeps Delightfills And Cocoa Cats

Snack Pack And Variety Pack Bags - Mike And Ike, Hot Tamales And Zours

CHRISTMAS

Marshmallow Peeps Christmas Trees And Snowmen

Holiday Cookie Flavored Marshmallow Peeps Cutouts

Necco (Necco) (Open Original Shared Link) (vw=07/18/03)

Necco Wafers, Sweethearts Conversation Hearts (Valentines only), Canada Mint & Wintergreen Lozenges, Necco Candy Eggs (Easter), Talking Pumpkins (Halloween), Peach Blossoms (Christmas), and soon Necco Ultramints

Nestle chocolate & confections (Nestle USA) (800-258-6728)

Nestle will clearly label gluten ingredients. “This information includes products, which, to the best of our knowledge, do not contain wheat, rye, or barley/malt ingredients. The list may not be complete subsequent to the date of issue (8-19-03) due to formula changes and new product information. Please read each product ingredient statement for the most current information.”

CHOCOLATE BARS AND PIECES: Baby Ruth, Butterfinger, Butterfinger BBs, Chunky, Goobers, Nestle Milk Chocolate, Nestle Treasures, Nestle Turtles, Oh Henry!, Raisinets, Sno?Caps, Wonderball

CONFECTIONS AND WONKA: Bit?0?Honey, Bottlecaps, Gobstoppers, Laffy Taffy, Lik?M?Aid Fun Dip, Mix?ups, Nerds, Nips, Pixy Stix, Runts, ShockTarts, SPREE, SweeTARTS, Tangy Taffy, Tart'N Tiny

VALENTINES: Milk Chocolate Hearts, Milk Choc w/Butterfinger Hearts, Milk Choc w/Butterfinger Tigger, SweeTARTS Lollipops

EASTER: Baby Ruth Creme Egg, Butterfinger Nesteggs, Caramel Nesteggs, Milk Chocolate Nesteggs, Peanut Butter Nesteggs

CHRISTMAS: Milk Chocolate Jingles, Milk Choc w/Butterfinger Jingles, SPREE Candy Canes, SweeTARTS Candy Canes

Hope this helps.

Karen

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Rusla Enthusiast

Turtles also have an egg out this year and they are safe, I checked them to make sure they were.

Sagesmama Rookie

Vincent- your sick :P funny... but sick... :D

Wow- thanks for so much info everyone!

Nantzie Collaborator

Yea, if God didn't want us to eat animals He wouldn't have made them out of meat. :lol:

On another note, I'm so excited to hear the Cabury Egg is gluten-free. I usually only have one or two a year (they're SOOO sweet), but it doesn't seem like Easter without one.

Nancy

jerseyangel Proficient

The Dove solid chocolate eggs are gluten-free. I've been eating the dark ones for 2 weeks now :ph34r:

elonwy Enthusiast

Karen - Thats the canadian list right? Just wanting to make sure I copied off the right one to give to the bunny.

Elonwy

That was from the American Delphi list, but they do add Canadian references in there also......

Hugs!

Karen

Sagesmama Rookie

I don't know whether having all this information is helpful or dangerous (to me and my butt) :P;)

Archived