This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Grocery Store Rotisserie Chicken

penguin

penguin Community Regular

I thought I remembered a thread about rotisserie chicken at grocery stores, but I couldn't find it...

I'm really wanting to just buy a chicken tonight since DH is working late and I don't want to cook, does anyone know if at least some/most are gluten-free?

The stores I have available are:

Randalls (they are a Safeway division and use their generics)

HEB

Whole Foods (please don't make me go there, I don't want a $300 chicken :rolleyes: )

Sam's Club

Central Market (see whole foods)

Thanks! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Becky6 Enthusiast

If you can find any that are Golden Plump then they are gluten-free. We get those all the time. Or call one of the stores and ask what brand they have for their chickens. Then call that company. Good luck!

KayJay Enthusiast

I ate a chicken like that last night too. Didn't get a chance to cook so dh picked it up on his way home. The ingredients looked okay so I went for it. I feel okay after eating it :)

StrongerToday Enthusiast

I get mine from Busch's (a Spartan store) and they are fine. Just chicken and some herbs. I also have a Meijer near me but they inject a "solution" and I don't care for the taste - don't even know if it's safe or not, but it tastes icky to me.

I think even Boston Market chicken is safe.

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I know Sam's Club is not gluten-free.

Do you have a Boston Market near you?

Rusla Enthusiast

I can only speak for the Canadian contingent. I have a gluten-free list from Safeways in Canada for their safeway and select brand items. I actually had the Safeway store in Montgomery in Calgary make a copy to keep in their store in case I leave my list at home which I often do. So, I know their rotisserie chicken is fine.

I do have a boston market near me, it's just so dang expensive.

I forgot a grocery store, we have an Albertson's too.

Thanks for telling me about Sam's!

I guess I'll have to call the store and ask what brand their chickens are...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

Tyson precooked roasted chickens are gluten-free. Just read the ingredients.

richard

mouse Enthusiast

I got a cooked chicken in Costco that I read the label on. It listed the allergy items and wheat was not listed. I did not get sick. I also buy unseasoned from my local store (not in your area) and only once was I glutened and I think that was from cc. After all, the chickens are put on a rotisserie and the juices can drop down onto the next chicken. I now try to avoid the skin.

I called the Randall's people and since it's Safeway, the chickens are gluten-free, and they only have one flavor to worry about. Excellent! She's also sending me the Safeway gluten-free list. More excellence!

For any of you that may be in Texas or some parts of Louisiana, the HEB customer service lady is checking on the status of their chickens for me, so I'll keep y'all posted!

Thanks for all your help! :D

jerseyangel Proficient

Albertsons (Acme near me) are very Celiac friendly--they have their own gluten-free list that they will send you. I'll bet if you called your local one, they could tell you if theirs is safe. I emailed them recently about a meat product--the bacon-wrapped filets. A rep called me with the answer--and he was a Celiac, too! Good luck on the chicken quest!--Oh, Sam's is not safe--the first ingredient (I think) is wheat starch!

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

We used to get rotisserie chickens all the time, but I'm just making roast chicken at home now. It's much easier than I had expected. Rinse it, plop in a pan on top of some sliced onions and chuck it in the oven for an hour. If you have energy, stuff it with garlic, onion slices, lemon slices, fistfuls of parsley, etc. just don't eat the stuffing (it takes too long to come to a safe temperature) and surround it with sliced carrots and potatoes drizzled with a little olive oil before you bake it.

No gluten, and no last-minute trip to the grocery store if you buy it during your big "stock-up" grocery trip. While it bakes, you can open the mail, change clothes, help kids with homework, etc. If everyone is starving, start with fresh fruit!

jerseyangel Proficient

Fiddle-Faddle--I like the way you think :D

momandgirls Enthusiast

I actually just went through this same thing this afternoon - looking for a rotisserie chicken. Boston Market chickens/turkeys are gluten free but they do contain milk, if that is an issue for you (it is for us). My other grocery store carries chickens/turkeys from Perdue. They are also gluten/dairy free but the store cooks them and they cook them alongside other items containing gluten so the issue of cross contamination is pretty high. So, I guess it's back to basics for us and roasting our own. No big deal - I used to do it all the time - just more time consuming and it's not that often that I'm home in the afternoon to be able to do it.

kevsmom Contributor

Purdue Short Cuts are gluten free. I cook up a bag of Success rice, heat up a veggie and the Short Cuts and dinner is read in 10 minutes! :D

Lisa Mentor
Tyson precooked roasted chickens are gluten-free. Just read the ingredients.

richard

Yeah, richard, you just made my day. A no cook dinner, what a relief. Thanks.

Has anyone ever tried slow-roasting a chcken in a crockpot? Is it any good?

Lisa Mentor

No, but we have one of those "Green Eggs" and I have never eated so well from the grill. It is soooo good....!!!

Smoked Salmon like your have never had, pork, steak...

No, but we have one of those "Green Eggs" and I have never eated so well from the grill. It is soooo good....!!!

Smoked Salmon like your have never had, pork, steak...

Green egg? Wht the heck is a green egg?

lpellegr Collaborator

Tyson roasted chickens are the best! And if you microwave them they stay moist, unlike some of the store-roasted chickens which sit under hot lights all day. I have gotten sick from store-roasted chickens - some have unidentified spices on them and that was probably it. Still trying to educate the husband, who cooks once or twice a week and likes to bring them home.

• 4 years later...
mollie dog Newbie

Purdue Short Cuts are gluten free. I cook up a bag of Success rice, heat up a veggie and the Short Cuts and dinner is read in 10 minutes! :D

luvs2eat Collaborator

Here's the crockpot rotisserie chicken recipe that's been all the rage at my other fave chat room... copykat.com:

Crockpot Rotisserie Chicken

1 Whole Chicken (I cooked a 6 pounder)

Olive Oil Cooking Spray

Lawry's Seasoned Salt (no substitutes)

Aluminum foil

Clean chicken inside and out. Spray with olive oil spray.

Sprinkle inside and out with Lawry's.

Spray inside of crock with cooking spray. Note: Do not put any water in the crockpot.

Roll some wads of aluminum foil into balls and put them in the bottom of the crock. The chicken is going to sit on these.

Put chicken back side down in crock on top of aluminum balls.

Cook on High (will not come out the same on low), 4-6 hours

I also use some fresh herbs (sprig of rosemary, sage) laying on top. I put 1/2 lemon & 1/2 onion in cavity. I use the rest of the lemon and squeeze the juice on the chicken before I spray it.

Note: I've not used Lawry's seasoning... I've just dumped tons of seasonings of my own on there... but it comes out very moist.

BethM55 Enthusiast

Yes! Also chicken parts, but use them with skin and bone, and if you will be slow cooking them all day, start with them frozen.

Spray the inside of the crockpot with non-stick spray, add about half of the chicken parts, pour gluten-free barbecue sauce over, add the rest of the chicken, pour more sauce, cover, cook on low for 6-8 hours.

I find this works best with legs and thighs. You can also do the same thing with turkey legs and thighs, if they will fit in your cooker. Enjoy!

• 7 months later...
okieinalaska Apprentice

I realize this is an old thread but had to comment. Went to Fred Meyers yesterday and wanted to buy a rotisserie chicken and every flavor has wheat in them. I was so bummed. I am roasting my own chicken in the oven now as I type and it smells so good. : )

Only other grocery store nearby is Walmart. Haven't looked at theirs but usually I don't like the flavor.

What about Costco? You almost can't buy a raw chicken for the price of theirs cooked up here. : )

Amy in Alaska

Archived