Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moongirl

So Im Going Away For A Weekend For The 1st Time Since My Dx

In 2 months im venturing out into the world since my DX. we are staying at a pretty nice hotel for the weekend, and have been talking to the chef, so i dont expect to be 'glutened' But hey its a scary world out there.

Now if I do get glutened, what should I have in my 'glutened first aid kit' to make me feel some what functionable? :huh:

Dx & gluten-free since 12/09/05

Positive blood and endo test

Boston, MA

What doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Good for you!! I recently got back from almost a week in Florida. I packed Pepto and Immodium, but never used it. I did bring my own bread and cashew butter (we had a fridge and microwave in the room). I also brought emergency snack foods (nuts, Lara bars, etc.) and I never leave home without a can of Progresso Chicken Wild Rice in my backpack. You may want to find a good market near you or bring some supplies (like bread) if you don't think you can find them.

Have fun!

Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05

Negative Bloodwork ~

Dr. encourages me to trust my

"Gut Reaction"

In an "accidental glutening" first aid kit I would have:

- Imodium

- Phazyme

- Tylenol

- Antacid

- Benadryl (if nothing else you'll be knocked out)

- Red Bull (lots of B vitamins and helps me feel human after glutening)

- Heating pad or hot water bottle

Good luck venturing out into the world! :P

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...

I've started traveling again and here is what I always pack:

nut thins

lara bars

Tylenol

Flexaril (muscle relaxer)

Pepcid

sparkling water (lots and lots of it)

gluten-free cookies (whole foods bakery have wonderful cookies)

I always check for a store in the area so I can get yogurt and other refrigerator items. I always request a refrigerator in my room- every hotel so far has done this due to celiac. My husband says its a perk of the disease!!!!!! HeHeHe!!!

I am really careful and don't eat anything questionable. and most important-HAVE FUN!!!!!!!

Lollie

tests inconclusive, diet conclusive January 2006

In addition to the other suggestions, I sometimes feel better when I drink tonic water right after being glutened. I get the small glass bottles and carry them in the car with me. I also Have found an herbal blend from Solary that helps with nausea. I usually travel with Airborne as well.

Have a great time!! :)

I have to take my blender and protein powders with me. Just in case. I can always digest smoothies and they are easy to carry with you in a ToGo cup. You can find fruit at the restaurant. Or add yogurt. My companions enjoy making their own frozen alcoholic drinks in my blender .... oh, and don't forget dish washing soap to clean it with ... Mine is a Hamilton Beach individual smoothie maker ... and it works great ...

Have fun ... Marcia

Jan 1990 - Dx CFS/ME/FM (URI's, Ataxia, myoclonus, orthostatic hypotension, insomnia, brain fog, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat... ) Completely Disabled (housebound and bedridden at times)

2004 - Digestive pain all the time.

May 2004 - Hiatal hernia, erosive gastritis, gastroparesis (endoscopy)

August 2004 - Colon polyps, diverticulitus, internal hemorrhoids (colonoscopy)

No relief from Nexium, Prilosec, Protonix, Zelnorm, Miralax, Imodium, Lomotil ...

July 2005 - GP recommended WFDFSFEFCF + vegan (Also, anything that hurts free)

Immediately stopped needing naps and digestive pain reduced.

Sept 2005 - GFDFCFSFEF + chemical free - Immediately stopped feeling jittery / buzzing and digestive issues were much better.

June 2006 - Dx B12 and iron deficient. Started B12 injections and using cast iron pan.

August 2006 - MYOCLONUS GONE. (off Klonopin)

September 2006 - ATAXIA, INSOMNIA and Feeling like the floor was moving under my feet gone.

June 19, 2007 - Positive DQ2, Dx Celiac

October 2007 - Sleeping like a baby, waking up with energy, but still having fatigue/stamina issues

Nov 2007 - Started Paleo diet for chronic hypoglycemia

April 2008 - GTT normal. I'm no longer hypoglycemic. Started Low oxalate diet for kidney stones.

May 1, 2008 - Began salt loading for OI/NMH - noticed immediately muscle weakness was gone. I was sodium deficient but my labs don't reflect it. Still working on OI and PEM.