This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Office Party! Quick! Help!

penguin

penguin Community Regular

So I work at a satellite office, but I have to go over to the main office today because there is a birthday. I don't want to be the only one there without cake or something to eat! I'll get asked lots of questions and likely be ridiculed (my coworkers aren't very nice, the last time there was a birthday, I couldn't eat the cake I provided and the office manager stood about 3 inches away from me with her cake and asked me all these questions and if it bothered me that everyone else had cake bla bla bla...)

So I'm bringing my own dessert! (take that, you stupid cows!)

The only problem is that I never get much notice for these things and the party is in about 3 hours... I have an outback, chili's, TGI Friday's, and Whole Foods near the office....

I just looked up the chocolate thunder thing from outback, but it has pecans in it! I only have an oral allergy, so I'd probably be ok in a pinch...

Any suggestions?!?!

I guess I could take some ice cream...but I'd rather it be a baked good...

Thanks for your speedy help! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

I would probably go to Whole Foods and get something from the Gluten Free Bakeshop.

IronedOut Apprentice

Last time I was at Whole Foods, they had the GFBakehouse pies and brownies. Not so bad in a pinch. Even a gluten-free muffin would do for now.

Outback also has an apple dessert that is gluten-free. Haven't tried it, but the people I was eating with enjoyed it.

Good luck! :)

I just realized, after posting this, that I have a WHOLE FRIGGIN GLUTEN FREE BAKERY IN TOWN!

I'm an idiot...I always forget it's there

I just hope I can get there, on the clear other side of town, and back on my lunch break :rolleyes:

Thanks for the suggestions...but now I have another question...

How do I deal with the STUPID COWS I work with in this situation? It's bad enough they look down on me for being in the nicer office with my high and mighty college degree, but now this too?

help!

IronedOut Apprentice

I dream of a gluten free bakery...

Mango04 Enthusiast
Thanks for the suggestions...but now I have another question...

How do I deal with the STUPID COWS I work with in this situation? It's bad enough they look down on me for being in the nicer office with my high and mighty college degree, but now this too?

help!

I wish I had advice, but I don't think I do. I can sympathize however. In my office it got to the point once where I would get ridiculed for drinking water at my desk. I was apparantly supposed to be drinking coffee and soda like everyone else. I had to explain VERY clearly that I didn't think drinking water was a superior thing to do...I just liked water. Don't even get me started on what would happen if I took out a salad. I actually thought about putting junk food all over my desk just so people would leave me alone. :rolleyes: Office people are just weird. Enjoy whatever you get from the gluten-free bakery!!!!!!!!!!!

GlutenFreeAl Contributor

I agree with Mango, I think people feel threatened by our "healthier" lifestyle. Most people probably think we are following a fad diet. I'm guessing you're thin, which doesn't help matters because I honestly think many people equate gluten intolerance with anorexia :angry:

Sorry I don't really have any constructive advice for you, but you're definitely not crazy and you're defintely not alone!

You know what I say? SCREW 'EM and enjoy whatever gluten free concotion you wind up purchasing! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

StrongerToday Enthusiast

This just happened to me the other day. I didn't even bother to bring anything. When I was offered cake I just said "no, thanks". When pressed, I responded with "it looks good, but it's just not worth it for me". If really pressed you could go into what happens when you get gutened - bet they won't ask twice :lol:

jenvan Collaborator

I think a lot of times people follow our lead--meaning, your reaction will help determine theirs. (Not always unfortuantely) but this has proved true for me many times. Don't say anything. If someone asks respond that you have Celiac, a condition that keeps you on a restricted diet or just say "I have food allergies." Lots of folks will leave it alone at that point. If they continue to pursue it or say "Oh, that must be horrible etc," handle yourself gracefully with a short response like "It can be difficult at times, but I still get to enjoy many foods." Worse comes to worse, change the subject. "Enough about me, how are you doing? Or what's your role in this office?" But from time to time it is possible to find someone who genuinely wants to know more about Celiac or a different diet/lifetstyle and of course, having the conversation is easy.

tarnalberry Community Regular

I agree with jen, people often follow your lead - "I have food allergies." "I deal with them just fine." "I'll be fine without any of the food here." "I've brought my own food." "I don't really want to answer all your questions right here at the moment, thank you." You only have to engage in as much conversation as you want to.

Mango04 Enthusiast

Yeah I should add that I'm a really quiet person, so I think that's part of the reason people respond to me like they do. I prefer to just do my own thing and not really explain to anyone in great detail why I'm eating differently. Maybe a brief explanation like "I'd love to be able to eat that but it will make me extremely ill" followed by a quick changing of the subject would be enough. Blah - I hate having to explain all this to people all the time :)

jerseyangel Proficient

Yes, people many times will follow your lead--but sometimes it's not what you say that does it, but also how you say it. If you're comfortable with your situation and your response, it will show. I don't really know why full grown adults can act like middle school kids sometimes, in that if you aren't eating and enjoying what everyone else is, there MUST be something wrong with you. Keep your chin held high--and enjoy your gluten-free treat! ;) (And I'll bet that it will taste better than their plain ole birthday cake, anyway :P )

Rusla Enthusiast

First I am glad I have coworkers that are mature enough and have health problems that,they don't do the things that happen to some of you.

I have had some ask me if it is hard to live like this and if I miss anything. They are genuinely interested. I tell them sometimes I miss pizza but then I will go home and make my own. I tell them there is nothing I really miss because, I can have all the same stuff just done differently, more healthy and I won't be sick from eating them either. I tell that it doesn't bother me at all.

I'm guessing you're thin, which doesn't help matters because I honestly think many people equate gluten intolerance with anorexia :angry:

HAHA! I wish! Note the flabby arms I could use to hang glide on my avatar! So they really WILL think I'm on a wacky diet. Last time someone asked me if I was on Weight Watchers :rolleyes:

If they continue to pursue it or say "Oh, that must be horrible etc," handle yourself gracefully with a short response like "It can be difficult at times, but I still get to enjoy many foods." Worse comes to worse, change the subject.

Yeeeah, note the story in the first post. She would not let up! And I had been gluten-free, like, a week. And she was 3 inches away from me, I practically had to climb up on the counter to get away!

I got gluten-free carrot cake with a huge glob of icing, it looks really good. It doesn't even have nuts! I haven't had carrot cake in so long because of my nut allergy! I'm so excited! I didn't have cash and there was a $5 minimum to use my debit card so I got a gluten-free sugar cookie, too. Tasted just like the real thing! I am PSYCHED!!

tarnalberry Community Regular
Yeeeah, note the story in the first post. She would not let up! And I had been gluten-free, like, a week. And she was 3 inches away from me, I practically had to climb up on the counter to get away!

That's what honest is for. :-) Saying "I don't want to talk about it further, I haven't been on the diet long, and having you pepper me with questions about something new and challenging isn't something I'm up for right now, so please drop it." may put people off a bit, but that also usually shuts them up. If it doesn't a "What part of a 'I don't want to talk about it' don't you understand?" does. :-)

I dream of a gluten free bakery...

I think they can ship anything wherever.... here's the website:

Open Original Shared Link

So far I've just had their bread (eh, edible), their sugar cookies (awesome!), and I'll let you know how the carrot cake is...

The cafe itself has wheat bread, but I don't think they bake it themselves, since they don't have it for sale. The only other things they make that are bad for us are two things with oats. I haven't been glutened yet!

jenvan Collaborator

Glad you found the carrot cake! I agree with what Tiffany said :) Honesty applied gracefully works wonders. But if the graceful approach fails, then you are free to resort to b*tch-slapping. :P Well, not really... And yes, every once in a while we do meet someone who won't back off even after doing the above...so change the subject and if appropriate, kindly walk away. And then forget about it. It is frustrating in the moment, but its a good practice to remember oftentimes when someone says something stupid or insensitive it is a reflection not on ourselves but on them. (and good people-practice anyhow, b/c we will always encounter difficult folks whether commenting on celiac disease or not). Its also a good practice to evaluate who has control over a conversation in these situations and know that we can (almost) always keep control over where a conversation is going...even if, and more importantly, we are conversing with someone who is interpersonally immature. ....Long-winded attempt at saying "Just enjoy your cake!"

Archived