This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Visiting Family And Friends

Eve

Eve Newbie

HI!

I am Leaving my safe home for the first time since being diagnosed.... I am a little panicked...

How do you pack food for a few days to survive on....

I am going to be litteraly in the middle of nowhere in Washington state...

Any help?

Eve

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

TCA Contributor

Thai Kitchen has some good quick fix noodle meals that I keep on hand. Hormel also has a couple - sweet and sour and southwest black bean. Amy's Soups Like Black bean are good. I like all of those becaue they don't have to be refrigerated. I will usually make some bread to take with me. I take my own PB, butter, and other condiments. Vann's waffles,

Amy's frozen meals, larabars, reece's cups, etc. I look like I'm moving in! It might be good to take a toaster too.

Have fun!

Rusla Enthusiast

I also take along some of my favorite gluten-free cookies. Make sure you have all your own toiletries with you.

Mango04 Enthusiast

I ususally take things like Organic Food Bars, Clif Nectar Bars and Alpsnak bars and I always keep something like that in my purse when I'm traveling in case I find myself stuck somewhere with no safe food.

Corn Thins or rice cakes with peanut butter come in handy too and so do things like almonds or trail mix. You could pack a cooler with as much food as possible. The last time I traveled and stayed at a friend's house I ended up wishing I had brought a bag of Tinkyada pasta.

If you can find some sort of grocery store when you get there that always helps too.

jaten Enthusiast

When I travel to hotels, etc., I take a cooler of safe food. If I were going to visit family in another city, I'd probably take my own bread (toast in oven on foil) & snacks. I'd take my own condiments too, but mention to your host that Kraft is "friendly" and name other friendly foods and just see how it's received. It may not be as difficult as you think since there are mainstream foods we can eat.

(Of course that's easy for me to say as I sit here in my safe house. I'd be very nervous, I know. Funny, how "my safe house" is a perfectly normal and well-understood phrase. 6 mos. ago, it never would have been in my vocabulary)

jenvan Collaborator

Below are tips for traveling and another thread that might give you some ideas--have fun!!!

Open Original Shared Link

I do several things when I go on vaca:

-Find local restaurants with gluten-free menus (like pf changs etc) and local wild oats or health food stores

-Contact a local support group for area tips etc if there is one

-Pack food! I take lots of snacks and I take things I can supplement a meal out for me--say, a thai kitchen noodle bowl (all I need it hot water for it--any restaurant or fast food joint can provide that..and it helps supplement a salad per se). In addition to the snacks I pack salad dressing and Bragg's soy sauce.

-I call my hotel, explain I have food allergies and get them to put a fridge in my room, if there isn't one already.

-I also bought two coolers--one is large and plugs into your car and regular outlet. I use that for long trips.

-I also have a smaller, foldable travel cooler. I use those frozen packs to keep stuff cold. It works great! I took it on the plane with another carry on recently.

Archived