This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Rosacea--now I've Got It

jenvan

jenvan Collaborator

Anyone heard of Klaron? I have yet to do my research on it, but other dermo wants me to try it. I think it is more of a sulfate based med. Also--what sunscreens do people use? I have used California Baby...think I may stick with that, but wondered about Lavera too--they have a neutral line they tout as safe for rosacea folks. Doc said I need to use sunscreen everyday. There is some in the BE makeup, but maybe I do need to put some on underneath...esp in summer. During the week though I am pretty much in doors all day...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Judyin Philly Enthusiast

Hi Jen

I did see you got this dx

ck'd the thread off and on as i know knowing nothing about it.

will ck out the eye drops though

did you get some other dx too.

let me know if you saw this post as these seem to be the ones that are 'bouncing' to Scott.

love

judy

jerseyangel Proficient
Anyone heard of Klaron? I have yet to do my research on it, but other dermo wants me to try it. I think it is more of a sulfate based med. Also--what sunscreens do people use? I have used California Baby...think I may stick with that, but wondered about Lavera too--they have a neutral line they tout as safe for rosacea folks. Doc said I need to use sunscreen everyday. There is some in the BE makeup, but maybe I do need to put some on underneath...esp in summer. During the week though I am pretty much in doors all day...

Jen--I've never heard of Klaron--hope it works out for you! Let us know... I don't go out in the sun much for any length of time because I'm very sensitive to it but I will use a little Calif. Baby when needed. Most of the time, the sunscreen in the BE is sufficent for me. Was this the new derm. you were going to see?

• 5 weeks later...
jenvan Collaborator

Just thought I'd post an update...but hope I don't jinx myself!! :blink: My rosacea has really improved the past 2 weeks. ! Looking much much better. I took the advice I got here and requested the metrocream (vs. metrogel) from my new GP. It isn't irritating like the metrogel and seems to be really working... Just thought I'd pass that along :D

mouse Enthusiast

Glad you found something that works for you Jen. I remember when I got the diagnosis of Rosacea. I had to be in my mid 50's. The doctor at Loyola gave me this lovely phamphlet to read and on the way home I totally lost it. Never got past those awful pictures. My dentist I had at the time, had an extreme case of Rosacea and all I kept doing is look at the pictures and then picture him. My husband calmed me down by reading the whole phamplet. It said that if you start to get bad that they can do laser on it and take away the red veins. If it goes too far, they can do nothing. They put me on Metrogel and that seemed to control it. I have never been a sun worshiper and so that was a blessing. When we decided to retire to the Southwest where it is always sunny, my dermatologist thought I was nuts. Funny thing is that now that I have been gluten-free for 28 months, the rosacea has really faded and I use nothing for it anymore. I don't even think about it anymore as it can barely be noticed.

jenvan Collaborator
Eye Drops: Similisan Dry Eye Relief

Open Original Shared Link

PS Mme--I got those drops, they work well...the "typical" ol eye drops made me feel worse. However, the eyes have gotten better too, in conjunction with the rosacea I guess.

Armetta-

Glad yours has faded! ...I hope so for me too. I totally know what you mean about those pictures--AH! They are pretty horrible, extreme cases, but I kept thinking too--what if I get like that?? Maybe they should tone down those pamphlets a bit, huh?! I never ever thought of myself having rosacea previously, but I recently read an article that struck a chord... It said in the very early stages of rosacea, the only sign may be flushing after work outs. I always got that!! We just thought "it was me" :) I would work out and my face would be so red, unusually red... Had no clue at the time.

mouse Enthusiast

I remember that we would be playing Scotch doubles in the company golf outing (I hate that game he he) and my face would get as red as a beat. We all assumed it was medicine I was on. The reason I did not add it below my signature is that it has faded enough that I completely forget that I have it. I don't remember how long you have been gluten-free, but mine is 28 months.

Oops. It would be nice if I look before I post. You have only been gluten-free for a year less then me. Maybe it takes longer to notice an improvement. I really don't remember when I stopped noticing the redness.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Okay, I must be doing somethign wrong, because my rosacea has just progressed from pink cheeks to zits all over the underside of my chin. :ph34r: Grrrr.

mamaw Community Regular

fiddle-faddle

Have you been under alot of stress????? This can bring out the rosacea as well as the hot , humid weather were having.....another thing is have you eaten some new thing recently?

My rosacea has improved since going gluten-free.but I do get red every now & then, zits seemed to be gone for me unless I happen to be in the sun working and then I get a couple. I don't use anything anymore, gluten-free helped my rosacea tons.Of course I still have a roadmap of spider veins on my cheeks and nose area but my insurance wont pay to zap them & it's so pricey to have them removed. I was told $ 50.00 or more a vein and I have to many to count..... I'd have to sell my soul plus to have them removed.

Your recent surgery could have flared you up along with the drugs......

mamaw

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Mamaw, I bet you're right! In fact, I STILL don't feel like myself again, and it's been over 3 weeks (I'm feeling just a wee bit impatient....) The chin zits did not materialize until after surgery--and I've never EVER had zits as an adult. I only had like 3 zits as a teenager, and those were all from eating hot dogs or smoked turkey (things that have sodium nitrite).

With the sun--do you stay out of it entirely, or just wear sunscreen?

kabowman Explorer

I found the metagel works for me and the sun is fine, as long as I don't get any type of burn. We were on the lake for a week and I kept SPF 30 on for the whole week until the last day when we were running low so I saved it for the kids and went with SPF 15 (I am usually on SPF 8 or none by now) and by the end of the day I was itching and had bumbs all over my face, chest, and back. BTW, we were catching 100+ fish every day the week we were camping/boating/fishing - best fishing in my life!!!

We have been on the lake all weekend with SPF 30 on just my chest, face, and back and am fine - the rest I use tanning lotion. This is after a whole day at Holiday World and Splashin' Safari (water park) on Friday with no problems that day either (SPF 30 on just face, chest, and back). We are going back out this afternoon and tomorrow morning until the rain comes too. We plan on being out all next weekend too!

I am SOOOO happy to finally figure out my biggest trigger and I don't look so red and rosy with a tan.

Dangerkitten Newbie

I use the Bare Essentuals the same way...love the stuff. I too felt very bad about my appearance.

When my skin is burning, I cool it down with MyChelle Cranberry Cleanser. I figure it's inflammatory, and the cleanser has anti-inflammatories in it. Seems to help, well that and cold compresses. Dermatologist perscribed Elidel, but I dont seem to get much relief from it when used the way he prescribed it. I only use it a couple times when it flares, if I continue, the burning gets worse and I think I have a reaction to the medication.

Sun, spices, hot showers, hot weather, glutenings, and poor health all make it worse. Recently started eating vegan again and it's looking alot better. Hubby actually commented on my skin today.

tiredofdoctors Enthusiast

Hey Jen -- I have it . . . that's what they make "Bisque" for!!!!! It's the best! I've had rosacea for about 16 years now, I think? I've tried all the stuff . . . the PA that I saw started telling me that my skin was getting dangerously thin from the topical steriods I was using . . . some of the other prescription stuff was just too harsh for my skin, so I just started using Cetaphil cleanser and gave up on the medications!

What is REALLY funny is when I have a glass of wine, or the occasional (only) shot of tequila! My face lights up, and I more than closely resemble Rudolph!!! It's actually pretty funny to watch! Also, these Wasabi rice crackers I love are a big trigger, too, so I'm REALLY rosey-cheeked right now!

Again, unless you get the break-out portion of the rosacea (which can be a pain to get rid of), I'd stick with Bisque!

Love & Hugs,

Lynne

jenvan Collaborator
Hey Jen -- I have it . . . that's what they make "Bisque" for!!!!! It's the best! I've had rosacea for about 16 years now, I think? I've tried all the stuff . . . the PA that I saw started telling me that my skin was getting dangerously thin from the topical steriods I was using . . . some of the other prescription stuff was just too harsh for my skin, so I just started using Cetaphil cleanser and gave up on the medications!

What is REALLY funny is when I have a glass of wine, or the occasional (only) shot of tequila! My face lights up, and I more than closely resemble Rudolph!!! It's actually pretty funny to watch! Also, these Wasabi rice crackers I love are a big trigger, too, so I'm REALLY rosey-cheeked right now!

Again, unless you get the break-out portion of the rosacea (which can be a pain to get rid of), I'd stick with Bisque!

Love & Hugs,

Lynne

Hey you! I didn't notice your rosacea when I saw you... Mine has gotten better...I get more of the break out type...but its really not that bad right now. Funny this is, this morning when I was getting ready I thought of this thread and about Patti and I talking about the bisque...weird :) I think mine is the worst (flushing) after working out.

Mme Newbie

Little note (still following the topic, though absent for several months for being sick :( )

I have recently been eating a much lower sugar diet. My skin has gotten a lot nicer and my rosacea is chilling out. I'm hoping it lasts.

Hey Jen!

You didn't notice my rosacea because of the Bare Minerals!!!!! It covers EVERYTHING!!

Anything that is going to make you vasodilate (heat, alcohol, spicy foods), is going to make you flush . . . Not going any further than that, because I don't want to get in trouble . . . as you know, I'm trying to be on my best behavior.

So, after a workout, it's perfectly reasonable for you to have the flushing. I have the problem occasionally with the breakout part, too. It is the PITS. In fact, I'm having it now, so I'm going to find a dermatologist who can help me before the wedding! I still say, "BISQUE"!!! We have this guy here at ULTA, he's a make-up artist there, and he taught me the most awesome way to apply my Bare Minerals -- all my flaws were covered. I was really happy with it . . . and it's easy for me to replicate. I'm tellin' ya . . . the stuff is great!

I would watch the Bare Essentials cleansers and the lotions, though . . . even one or two lipsticks contain gluten. I was kind of surprised. I KNOW that two lotions contain it. I also found out (the hard way), that Cetaphil LOTION DOES contain gluten . . . the company said that the Cleanser didn't, but they couldn't guarantee that the Lotion doesn't . . . got glutened BIG TIME after using the lotion.

I'm looking for the stuff that you use with the eye-liner to make it permanent. They had it with a kit, but I had seen it last year at Ulta, and just didn't want to buy the whole thing . . . didn't need all the colors (one was AZURE -- my party days are long gone!) I did want the stuff that makes the eyeliner waterproof, though. Our Ulta doesn't carry it. Do you know where I can get it??? It's just in a bottle. Also, while we're on the subject of make-up (good segue, huh?), do you know about any lip plumpers that are gluten-free? Don't necessarily want to look like Angelina Jolie, but would like to have a little more "fill" to my lips for the wedding . . . If I'm going to be the biggest and gimpy, I want to look the youngest!!!!!

jerseyangel Proficient

Lynne--I use Du Wop Lip Venom--it's safe and makes my lips look like I gave them a nice drink of water! Nothing radical, but nice. Tastes like cinnamon, and tingles a little. I got mine at QVC. :)

Open Original Shared Link

Love the Bisque--I apply it with the large foundation brush to the areas that are red, and follow up with foundation. Good stuff! B)

I was also glutened by Cetaphil very early on, before I realized I needed to check on those things :o

Oh, Patti -- I'm trying not to become a QVC junkie, but I'm telling you, it's getting bad . . . will have to get the lip venom, now!!!

I use the Bisque before I use the foundation, too. My "nasolabial folds" (around my nose) are pretty bad, so I use the (can't think of the name, sorry) -- it's the brush that's flat and REALLY applies it to that area. But, do the same as you . . . .

Have you seen the summer gift set at Ulta -- it's GREAT!! If you don't have one close, pm me, and I'll give you my #. I'll buy it for you and send it . . . you will LOVE it . . . it's not that expensive for all that you get, either!

Yeah, the Cetaphil thing caught me off-guard . . . I just FORGOT that they said that about the lotion, and just slathered it all over my face -- including my mouth -- made me so mad at myself!

jerseyangel Proficient
Oh, Patti -- I'm trying not to become a QVC junkie, but I'm telling you, it's getting bad . . . will have to get the lip venom, now!!!

I use the Bisque before I use the foundation, too. My "nasolabial folds" (around my nose) are pretty bad, so I use the (can't think of the name, sorry) -- it's the brush that's flat and REALLY applies it to that area. But, do the same as you . . . .

Have you seen the summer gift set at Ulta -- it's GREAT!! If you don't have one close, pm me, and I'll give you my #. I'll buy it for you and send it . . . you will LOVE it . . . it's not that expensive for all that you get, either!

Yeah, the Cetaphil thing caught me off-guard . . . I just FORGOT that they said that about the lotion, and just slathered it all over my face -- including my mouth -- made me so mad at myself!

Too late for me--I'm already a QVC junkie! It's my one vice :ph34r:

Yup--that's where I need the bisque, also. Do you mean the Kabuki Brush? I still don't have that one, I use the retractable brush. Have to get the Kabuki, though...

I do have an Ulta--over in Moorestown. I'll check out the summer set! :)

I got the travel kabuki brush last year with a set -- talk about a difference when you're applying the foundation -- MUCH better coverage. The brush I'm talking about is the smooth, flat one that is tapered . . . I think it might be called the "full coverage brush" -- in fact, I think that's what it is . . . I have trouble with word recall because of this stuff, and it takes 10 minutes sometimes before I get the word, unless someone tells it to me and I can say "Yes". Ugh. At any rate, it is the full coverage brush . . . it's REALLY good for your "nose pits" (creases) and the insides and under your eyes. Also, my cousin swears by "Well-rested" for her eyes . . . I haven't tried it, but she says it's great . . . .

RE: QVC -- I'm just glad that my husband doesn't want to see the statement when it comes in . . . . . B)

jerseyangel Proficient

I hear ya on the statement :unsure: I actually use my debit card for QVC shopping--that way, I don't charge my purchases--if I started doing that, without keeping track, I'd be in trouble :lol:

I've been thinking about trying Well Rested, too.

I do the same thing . . . debit card . . . don't want to get myself in charge card hell!!!!!

jenvan Collaborator

Damn. I so posted to this thread when you responded Lynne. Now I can't remember what I said. Oh well !

penguin Community Regular
I got the travel kabuki brush last year with a set -- talk about a difference when you're applying the foundation -- MUCH better coverage. The brush I'm talking about is the smooth, flat one that is tapered . . . I think it might be called the "full coverage brush" -- in fact, I think that's what it is . . . I have trouble with word recall because of this stuff, and it takes 10 minutes sometimes before I get the word, unless someone tells it to me and I can say "Yes". Ugh. At any rate, it is the full coverage brush . . . it's REALLY good for your "nose pits" (creases) and the insides and under your eyes. Also, my cousin swears by "Well-rested" for her eyes . . . I haven't tried it, but she says it's great . . . .

RE: QVC -- I'm just glad that my husband doesn't want to see the statement when it comes in . . . . . B)

Do you mean the concealer brush? It looks kind of like a flat paintbrush?

I have to get some more mineral veil at Sephora today, I go through that stuff so fast! DH is thrilled, I tend to drop a c-note when I go into sephora :blink:

YES! I have "word-retrieval" dysfunction, according to my testing . . . at least I know now WHY I can't get the right words lately . . . it is SO frustrating.

Have you tried the tinted mineral veil? It's in the summer gift thing-y. NICE. I really like it! We only have Ulta here . . . and boy, is my husband glad. When we were in Mall of America, they had Sephora -- my husband was FRIGHTENED!!!!!

I'm sorry Jen . . . . . . . :(

Archived