This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Need Nh Stores To Buy Gf Supplies

hapi2bgf

hapi2bgf Contributor

I'll be in the Portsmouth area and need to know where to buy a few gluten-free supplies to make my visit easier. Looking for a store that carries the frozen waffles or breads, or even Gluten Free Pantry mixes.

Any known safe places to eat out would be a great help too.

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

shelagh-e Newbie

Hey,

Although not from NH, I was home in Maine recently and was glad to see that several of the major grocery chains carried gluten-free products. The two major chains up there (and that also have stores in NH) are Hannaford's (aka Shop 'n Save) and Shaw's. Of the two, I think I was more impressed with Shaw's. The one in Brunswick had an entire "natural foods" section, that had a decent selection of gluten-free foods. I know there must be a Hannaford's/Shop 'n Save in Portsmouth. And don't forget the natural foods stores.... a lifesaver!

Here in NY, Hannaford's can be hit or miss. Some have a wonderful selection in their natural foods section, others have next to nothing. Supply and demand, I guess. Or maybe the celiac population is a little more vocal in certain areas than others! The Hannaford's here in Albany has started carrying gluten-free waffles, breads, and other premade gluten-free foods in addition to the cereals. Same goes for the Price Choppers- hit or miss regarding whether they have anything gluten-free.

Hope this helps- when's your trip? I can get my brother to scope out the gluten-free foods at the grocery store (he lives in Portsmouth).

betsy Newbie

there are a couple of natural food stores in the portsmouth area..

one is Portsmouth health food on 151 congress street portsmouth

the other is the rising tide natural foods located on 165 state road in kittery me.(the next town over)

there is also shaws in portsmouth that has a natural food section...

there is an outback steakhouse in portsmouth, i live in the area and have had pretty good luck with most of the resturants

have fun!

hapi2bgf Contributor

Thanks for your help! I just got back from my trip and had a fantastic time even in the sub-zero weather. I love to visit the snow, but it makes me appreciate the south! Between Shaw's and a healthfodd store in Extere (sp?) or maybe it was in Portsmouth I found enough food. I got a bit twisted up in the directions :P Still, I found enough to get by for the trip and I even found a few new desserts and pastas that I can't buy here. Yay!

I have to say I was most impressed with Warrens restaurant. I think it's in Portsmouth. I told the server that I had a food allergy blah blah blah and she immediately said "I need to notify the manager and he will be over to speak with you." Apparently it is their policy that if anyone comes in with a food allergy the manager has to be notified by the server and the manager speaks to the person with the allergy to get the info and then works with the cooks to ensure that the meal is prepared correctly! I love it! I go out to eat regularly at home and have never encountered this policy! My dinner was great and I had no problems. Yay!

Archived