Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NicoleNYC

Poisoned <sigh>

One week ago I found out I was wheat intolerant. I cut all wheat and gluten out of my diet and felt like I was on cloud 9. It was the best I felt in 6 months! I had some soup this weekend (chicken with rice) outside and I think it made me relapse. This happened on Sunday afternoon and I still have a headache, fatigue, god awful gas, foggy vision and an expanded pouch (stomach)....It this normal???????????????

I never want to touch gluten again. Although, I need to do the small biopsy which would require me to poison myself for a week.....<double sigh>

Thanks for any help. This site is terrific!

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Hi Nicole,

Welcome! Glad you were feeling better, but like most of us, you've been glutened. Feeling better will vary from person to person, but I think within the next couple of days you will be there. Just drink herbal tea, eat bland foods, and drink lots of water.

Feel better soon!

Carrie

Blood test May 25, 2005

Positive diagnosis through Endoscopy June 13, 2005

gluten-free since then...

Yep. Crab with a "K" is totally off limits. The other things to watch for with sushi is reconstituted wasabi can have wheat added to it. (If its not fresh and comes out of a tube thats a red flag). Some lower end sushi chains have been known to coat their seaweed with soysauce before preparing it, which makes everything that had seaweed in it off-limits, but this is rare in any real sushi establishment, more a fast-food sushi phenomenon.

The "spicy" condiments used in things like the spicy tuna can also have wheat in them, and most places don't know, so I tend not to eat those. Anything made with dashi is off-limits, which means most miso soups served in restaurants and most dynamites are off-limits as well. The good news is, besides all that there is many sushi items we can eat and I eat sushi all the time.

Elonwy

Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05

Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05

gluten-free since 7/23/05

Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

Guest cassidy
One week ago I found out I was wheat intolerant. I cut all wheat and gluten out of my diet and felt like I was on cloud 9. It was the best I felt in 6 months! I had some soup this weekend (chicken with rice) outside and I think it made me relapse. This happened on Sunday afternoon and I still have a headache, fatigue, god awful gas, foggy vision and an expanded pouch (stomach)....It this normal???????????????

I never want to touch gluten again. Although, I need to do the small biopsy which would require me to poison myself for a week.....<double sigh>

Nicole

Your picture is very cool!

When I get glutened, it definitely lasts for a few days.

You said you need the biopsy, that is really your choice. If you want it, then get it. But, if you are having such a positive dietary response, do you really want to go back on gluten just so a test confirms what the diet already has? It is your choice, but personally, no one will ever make me eat gluten, no matter what. If you start eating gluten again you will cause more damage which will take time to heal. So, ever if you think you can take being sick for a week or so, do you really want to do more damage?

Nicole

Hi Nicole--Sorry you got glutened--it happens to the best of us :D . I don't think a week is enough time on gluten to make a difference in a biopsy, when you've been completely off of it for a while. Did you find out you were gluten intolerant by blood testing? If so, that is a diagnosis right there--also, the positive response to the gluten-free diet is a valid means of diagnosis :)

Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev