• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

suziew

Pamela's Gluten Free Bread Mix

Rate this topic

I just made a loaf from the Pamelas bread mix. It is the best I have had yet. The bread was moist like real bread and it wasn't crumbly or grainy. For the first time, my sandwich held together.

Did you use the Amazing Bread Mix? I've tried the mix a couple of times and we really like it as well. My dd is egg free and they have directions on the bag for the egg free version. I used Ener-G Egg Replacer in my bread. I found that I had to let is rise atleast double the amount of time that the bag suggested. Since I'm not using egg, I've found that using a muffin tin, half dome pan or mini loaf pan works great. I made some rolls with it last week and we used them as hamburger buns. YUM! :)

When you made the hamburger buns, did you change the recipe any? Did you use a bun pan or just shaped them by hand? I would like to try making hamburger buns, they sound great.

When you made the hamburger buns, did you change the recipe any? Did you use a bun pan or just shaped them by hand? I would like to try making hamburger buns, they sound great.

Just thought I'd jump in here and add a little something; I've never found that shaping buns by hand works well as our doughs are too soft and sticky and want to spread: Try using any of these methods:

1-English Muffin Rings available at most kitchen stores. You just place the rings on a sheet and spray; and then spoon the dough into the rings.

2-You can make your own rings out of heavy duty aluminum foil and taping together.

3-Use miniature foil pie tins; and reshape them over the bottom of a quart size jar of mayo (or similar) until they become bun shape. You may want to wear gloves so as not to scrape your hands. (this is my favorite and you can put these through dishwasher and reuse)

4-You can also purchase a bun pan at specialty stores, but they are usually quite expensive.

Hope this helps.

Kay

Kay, these are great ideas.

When you made the hamburger buns, did you change the recipe any?

I did the recipe just as it is on the bag. My aunt likes to do cinnamon and raisin bread using the dough.

I have a half dome silicon pan that works well for my buns. I make sure not to pack the dough down in them so their nice and airy. I take water on a knife and smooth the top of the dough. The buns don't look eactly like hamburger buns...more like rolls. I usually invert them and the bottom becomes the top. I slice them and put the burgers, roast beef/ meat in the center. I've also used silicon muffin pan for rolls. They taste the same but look more like muffins. I've seem the hamburger pans at the kitchen outlets and thought about springing for one but haven't yet. I the time, I didn't had a good recipe. I've also used Applegate Organic Beef Hotdogs and have thought about trying hotdog buns.

:):)

I bake my rolls at 325 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes or until lightly browned on top. But I'm using a convection oven. If I were baking in a regular oven I would bake them at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes. I have noticed they continue to bake & set up some as they cool. I thought they might be a little gooey but as they cooled they were perfect. Sometimes I'll cover them with foil if they look like they're getting too brown on top.

We took a day trip yesterday and I made the buns and topped them with roast beef, they were so good! My dd at the rest of the buns this morning with Bionature Blackberry Fruit Spread. Yum! :D