This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Ignorant Server Of The Day

floridanative

floridanative Community Regular

I thought it would be fun for everyone to list some of the things servers do that are pretty dumb. So far I have not run into such a server but in fairness I am usually paying a premium when I eat out which I think reduces my risks of this happening.

So I'll list what happened to my Mother. She goes out once a month with her women friends for lunch. Well she now only orders a salad as her meal, takes her crackers and dressing as her town isn't that large so she doesn't trust them to know much about gluten. She does try and explain what she can't have but doesn't yet have dining cards. So this week she orders a salad and explains to the waiter what she needs to eat safely. So out comes her salad - it looks lovely except for the very large muffin that sits atop it! The waiter was like 'oh you can't have bread?' and Mother was like 'yes bread is made from wheat'. I have explained that she can't assume a server will know what wheat is really, which is sad in my opinion that people don't seem to know that flour and bread are made from wheat. I fear for the future of our country.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
penguin Community Regular

I've had more than one server say, "white bread isn't made from wheat, right?" :rolleyes:

I also had a server swear up and down that steamed rice (rice, water) had gluten.

I, luckily, have not had many bad experiences.

One funny one was at a McDonald's in BFE, Texas. I ordered a burger with everything on it except the bun, and went through the spiel about the bread can't touch the meat, etc. All she could do was exclaim in a voice not meant for indoors, "YOU DON'T WANT NO BUN?!?!" She was baffled. Apparently atkins has not yet reached that part of the world. :P

jerseyangel Proficient

I recently ventured out to Friday's for lunch w/ husband and son--haven't eaten out in a long time. I explained my situation and needs to the manager (who came to the table at my request) and the waitress. He said "so, no sugar, right?"--I told him "no", and repeated "gluten" and where it could be found. He then told me I needent worry--"our grill heats up to 500 degrees". Lord! <_<

wolfie Enthusiast

Oh boy....LOL!! I was on vacation last week and ate out a bunch of times. It was scary! I did try to frequent places I knew I could have faith in..PF Changs, Red Robin, Chik-fil-a, but happened into a Pizzeria Unos (nothing else close, or so I thought). I figured it couldn't be too bad b/c they had gluten-free info on their website, boy was I wrong. The server/hostess looked at me like I had 2 heads. I asked to speak with the manager who had no clue what I was talking about. He kept saying that corporate runs the website, not him. While I understand that, shouldn't the manager have some clue what corporate was doing? Then I asked if I could order a baked potato and be okay (meaning they won't cut it open, store with bread). He says "Yes, we have those. They are skinned and mashed up." I asked if he meant mashed potatoes. He said "Yes, they come to us frozen." I then went on to ask if there were any spices, etc. He said "Yes, that is how they come." Now how in the heck is that anything like a baked potato? LOL!! We didn't stay to eat there.

Oh, I went to Ted's Montana grill, too. The server was clueless there as well. I asked for a gluten-free menu (as they have on online, I just didn't have it with me). They didn't have one. They told me the fries were done in a dedicated fryer and not breaded/dusted or anything. However, when I checked the website when I got home, they aren't listed on the gluten-free menu. I have emailed them and am waiting on a response back. I didn't feel good at all after that meal, but also forgot to take my Lactaid and I did eat cheese.

katshow Rookie

I went to a health food market near my work to get some lunch, because I figured being a health food store they might be a little more informed. They had a tomato soup that looked good, so I asked if it had any gluten (wheat, barely etc) in it. She said, "No, no, no, it's vegetarian!" Haha!

Then I went to a Mexican restaurant and asked to speak to a manager to see if there was gluten in various sauces. He said well, there isn't any wheat in them, but there is flour. Haha, these people crack me up!

kimjoy24 Apprentice

Most of the servers I have dealt with have been very helpful, and no one has been outright rude, but I did have an "ignorant server" experience recently when I went out of town. I was in this podunk town in N. GA, and I was dining at a cute little "sip tea and eat chicken salad" kind of southern restaurant. I ordered the one salad on the menu that looked safe, and told the sweet as pie server to make sure no croutons were on it. Well, she made sure no croutons were on it, but it arrived with a roll and a breadstick on the side of the plate!

VegasCeliacBuckeye Collaborator
I've had more than one server say, "white bread isn't made from wheat, right?" :rolleyes:

I also had a server swear up and down that steamed rice (rice, water) had gluten.

I, luckily, have not had many bad experiences.

One funny one was at a McDonald's in BFE, Texas. I ordered a burger with everything on it except the bun, and went through the spiel about the bread can't touch the meat, etc. All she could do was exclaim in a voice not meant for indoors, "YOU DON'T WANT NO BUN?!?!" She was baffled. Apparently atkins has not yet reached that part of the world. :P

this is likely due to the head chef or kitchen manager telling the employees that Rice contains gluten. I have heard everything from that to the server saying that the sauce has vinegar so there is "micro-gluten" in it -- what the heck is that? LOL!

In any event, it is nice that they are trying to learn, but I get tired of convincing them that I can have vinegar, bleu cheese or rice...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

These are great and where in N. Ga were you anyway? I don't want to go there....

I forgot one about Ted's Montanna Grill. I did not go to the meetup.com dinner (group of Celiacs that meet once a month to dine gluten free around town) when they went to Ted's but this is what happened, according to our group leader. She as usual put together the menu for the group of 10-15 people. Well everyone ordered the safe menu items that were previosly scrutinized for gluten. Then every single plate came out with a piece of bread on it. Now I'd heard that this location was awful for service by a non Celiac friend so I wasn't going to go there ever anyway but when I heard about the Celiac diners getting bread on their plates, that took the cake! Ted's so far gets my vote for worst place for gluten free dining.

Mo92109 Apprentice

I went to the ER (bad stomach pains, vomiting) and the doctor said he'd release me and I should be ok, even they couldn't figure out what it was. He told me to eat dry toast and I told him I was allergic to wheat and he said "you don't have to eat WHEAT toast!" Um, a doctor.... :o

No when I go out, I don't really make a fuss anymore. I get something that is safe, like plain meats or a salad and just say I am allergic to bread and that USUALLY works. I am in sourthern California though and everyone assumes I'm on Adkins... not to mention how many places have low carb menus out here.

Oh, I went out once at Restaurant week with a bunch of people (a lot of restaurants having a slect menu for a set price). Anyway, the first salad comes out with little brie logs wrapped in pastry and I just said that I didn't want it, but thanks (not wanting to cause a scene in front of everyone and explaining AGAIN). Well my friend told the waiter I was allergic to wheat (always what I call it) and the waiter was a Celiac!! He was all excited to help me and took my salad back and had them make a new one. Even got me a dessert not on the special menu because I couldn't have any that were! That was Top of the Cove to anyone from San Diego - but can't remember his name!

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

My older gluten-eating son had a hockey wrap up party at the Winter Club in Calgary. They were having hot dogs and fries and making their own sundaes. Since the party was only an hour and a half, we figured we'd eat at the cafeteria there, and then go watch the trophy presentation, etc.

We brought our own hot dog and bun for Ty and my husband and I bought something at the cafeteria. The only potato chips they had were all cheese Doritos or BBQ or whatever-they had gluten or he wouldn't like the flavour. I thought I might as well as about the fries in case we were hungry still after hot dogs.

me to cashier/waitress: Are your fries cooked in a dedicated fryer?

her: (hesitating) Yes.

me: So just the fries are cooked there?

her: Yes.

me: Only fries, no chicken nuggets or anything in the same fryer?

her: Well yeah, the nuggets are cooked in it.

me: Then it's not dedicated. Dedicated means one item only. Idiot. (okay...the idiot was implied, not spoken out loud)

kevsmom Contributor

Arby's website lists the roast beef and the baked potatoes as being gluten free.

On my first (and only) trip to Arby's I ordered a medium roast beef without the bun and a baked potato. I was watching how they prepare orders, and they pull the meat from a tray with gloved hands and place it on a bun. I told them that they would have to change gloves, because my meat could not touch the bun. The girl changed her gloves and then placed the meat on the bun anyway.

She did re-do my order, and I was o.k., but I decided that I won't be going back there because the meat is still being cross contaminated by the person touching both the meat and the buns with the same gloves. All of the meat is then contaminated :angry: .

Cindy

turtle99 Rookie

I was at a major grocery store chain, and they were giving out samples of a new brand of potoato chips. I asked "do they contain gluten?" The demonstrator said "oh Yes , it contains potatos. you cannot eat them!"

I was at an somewhat upscale contemporary restaurant downtown, and I order a duck dish, which they specificially said they could make without any gluten. They served me the dish, a toasted french bread on top.

I was at a health food store , they were cooking up samples of tempeh, in a stirfry, to offer people to try. I wanted to try but told the server that I cannot eat gluten. Then he attempted to make another batch using another sauce, in the same skillet, that was used to make the regular batch, that contained gluten.

Becky6 Enthusiast

I called a place that was rumored to have a gluten-free menu. The woman said yes we have a gluten-free menu and was very excited! We went in and she proudly hands me a low carb options menu! When I described gluten the looked at me like I was crazy and said that one low carb diet is just like another. I tried to explain it that it was an allergy but they just told me to take a break from my diet and try theirs! It was crazy!

nettiebeads Apprentice

Had to go to a seminar where lunch was served, banquet style. In other words, the choices were chicken alfredo on penne. period. I was a substitute at the last minute so I didn't have time to explain before I got there what I could have. I asked if I could just have a piece of chicken with steamed veggies. A server brought me a plate of the regular choice and told me no gluten was added to it. It didn't have to be added...

And my other plate turned out to be a beef stew with gravy all over everything with, of course, flour thickener. I was sicker than I'd been in a long time.

TinkerbellSwt Collaborator

I wanted to go to a restaurant that I had been to before on my birthday. I called a few days in advance to make sure they could accomodate me with a gluten free meal. I got the response "Whats gluten?" well this did not make me feel good about the place. I then took a moment to explain in laymans terms what gluten free meant.

He then proceeded to say that we have plenty of breaded fish/ chicken dishes I could have. ummmm????

did i miss something?

Needless to say.. ho hum.. we didnt go there for dinner. I no longer felt safe there.

mookie03 Contributor

I went to dinner at a tapas restaurant up in westchester w/ my parents and my friend and her parents. We got there and i ordered a drink (a mojito made w/ vodka basically, cant remember what it was called) and ordered a fish dish. Well my mother is diabetic so she tried to order the same drink but asked about the sugar content in it. I meanwhile was asking about the gluten in my dish and they said it was fine. He said the drink had lots of sugar so only i got one. Well, the waiter clearly was NOT happy about having to answer questions and when he brought my drink (which DIDNT have any detectable sugar) he said "I just dont understand you people. I mean, vodka itself has sugar in it, so if ur avoiding glucose you should drink something else." Then my mom got the "something else" that he said would be less sugar- it was a cranberry vodka w/ sugarcane in it and rimmed w/ sugar! :unsure: I tried to explain to him that for me it was GLUTEN not glucose and he just did not understand. (GLUTEN! right, glucose, i get it. NO, GLUTEN. right, glucose i get it.) After that debacle, i was terrified as to what my food would look like so i bypassed the waiter and spoke to the chef. My mom was furious- we almost walked out! When my food finally came, it was an extremely bland piece of fish w/o any of the sides that were supposed to be there (gluten-free things like veggies). I didnt say a word b/c at that point, better safe than sorry :rolleyes: Needless to say, we are never going back there!

jkmunchkin Rising Star
I went to dinner at a tapas restaurant up in westchester w/ my parents and my friend and her parents. We got there and i ordered a drink (a mojito made w/ vodka basically, cant remember what it was called) and ordered a fish dish. Well my mother is diabetic so she tried to order the same drink but asked about the sugar content in it. I meanwhile was asking about the gluten in my dish and they said it was fine. He said the drink had lots of sugar so only i got one. Well, the waiter clearly was NOT happy about having to answer questions and when he brought my drink (which DIDNT have any detectable sugar) he said "I just dont understand you people. I mean, vodka itself has sugar in it, so if ur avoiding glucose you should drink something else." Then my mom got the "something else" that he said would be less sugar- it was a cranberry vodka w/ sugarcane in it and rimmed w/ sugar! :unsure: I tried to explain to him that for me it was GLUTEN not glucose and he just did not understand. (GLUTEN! right, glucose, i get it. NO, GLUTEN. right, glucose i get it.) After that debacle, i was terrified as to what my food would look like so i bypassed the waiter and spoke to the chef. My mom was furious- we almost walked out! When my food finally came, it was an extremely bland piece of fish w/o any of the sides that were supposed to be there (gluten-free things like veggies). I didnt say a word b/c at that point, better safe than sorry :rolleyes: Needless to say, we are never going back there!

Oh man this sucks!!! Where'd you go so I know to avoid it.

This reminds me though. Awhile back you were asking about Mexican. Well we went to Santa Fe the other night (in Tarrytown). Great experience!!! I ofcourse asked about the chips on the table (they throw them in the fryer), and then ofcourse checked 900 times that my dish was made with corn tortilla. I basically figured they all thought I was annoying and crazy but as I was walking out after finishing my delicious gluten free meal, the owner looks at me and says, "gluten intolerance." I nearly hit the floor. I was so excited he didn't think I was nuts. Anywhoo, I've been there again since and they are so great there. Next time you are home and want Mexican this is definately the place to go.

To be honest, I don't think I've had any horrible experience with servers. Most of my stupidity comments come from DH's family.

amybeth Enthusiast

OMG! Too funny (in a sad sort of way) LOL

What is it about temperature? At Applebee's they assured me that anything cooked on their grille would be fine because it reaches 500 degrees.

Didn't know gluten could be killed by heat!!!

We have been laughing about that one for a while!

luvs2eat Collaborator

Oh, were it ONLY true that gluten could be killed by heat???

I went to a mexican place and asked the kid behind the counter if he could tell me how the rice was made, because I couldn't eat anything that contained wheat or flour or certain starches. He said, "I dunno... would you like to taste it?"

HUH??? :blink:

kimjoy24 Apprentice
These are great and where in N. Ga were you anyway? I don't want to go there....

It was on the historic downtown square in Clayton...I can't remember the name of the little restaurant. I know it wasn't the Grapes and Beans. I tried to go there first but it was packed. As a side note, they don't allow any substitutions at Grapes and Beans, in case you are ever in the area. I'm guessing stuff is pre-packaged, so probably not a good option for folks like us either.

mookie03 Contributor
Oh man this sucks!!! Where'd you go so I know to avoid it.

This reminds me though. Awhile back you were asking about Mexican. Well we went to Santa Fe the other night (in Tarrytown). Great experience!!! I ofcourse asked about the chips on the table (they throw them in the fryer), and then ofcourse checked 900 times that my dish was made with corn tortilla. I basically figured they all thought I was annoying and crazy but as I was walking out after finishing my delicious gluten free meal, the owner looks at me and says, "gluten intolerance." I nearly hit the floor. I was so excited he didn't think I was nuts. Anywhoo, I've been there again since and they are so great there. Next time you are home and want Mexican this is definately the place to go.

To be honest, I don't think I've had any horrible experience with servers. Most of my stupidity comments come from DH's family.

cant wait to try! i miss mexican but find it so difficult to communicate w/ waiters at most of the restaurants... The restaurant was Pacifico- its in Portchester/Rye-- DONT go there! My parents went there once before this experience and said the food was great but the service was atrocious...and maybe before celiac, i would have dealt w/ bad service for good food, but now good service is way too important to me!!!

Oh, were it ONLY true that gluten could be killed by heat???

I went to a mexican place and asked the kid behind the counter if he could tell me how the rice was made, because I couldn't eat anything that contained wheat or flour or certain starches. He said, "I dunno... would you like to taste it?"

HUH??? :blink:

Thanks for the laugh!!!!! Too hysterical!!!

Thanks for the info about Clayton GA kimjoy24 - never been there and now I'll never go..to eat anyway!

I know this is for ignorant server posts (as I started it) but I have to share that today I took my own rice pasta into the Old Spag. Factory in downtown Atlanta. I also took my own dressing even though the one I like of there is made in house and is gluten free. Well Ken is the head cook there (no chef's) and he came out and asked if he could put a little salt and olive oil in my pasta as I gave the server the pasta and my dining card and said to give to Ken as he knew what to do with it. I had spoken on the phone with him about a week ago and he told me about 4 customers a week bring in their own pasta and he cooks in clean pan and reminded me to order the salad sans croutons. Well I had a lovely meal and intend to e-mail OSF headquarters so they know how well their store in Atlanta did in feeding me safely. It's only three hours since I ate but I now react farily quickly in an hour or less if I ingest gluten by mistake. So if you're in Atlanta and don't mind taking your own pasta you can get a good, cheap meal safely at OSF. Don't go on Ken's day off.

I'm sure one of these days I'll have an ignorant server story of my own to share but in the mean time I love reading about these hysterical comments/actions others of you have shared.

luvs2eat Collaborator

That's such good news to hear, floridanative! My daughter was a manager of a Macaroni Grill in PA and used to cook up gluten-free pasta for a little girl about once a week. I've been tempted but have never tried to bring my own pasta to a restaurant, but perhaps an advance phone call might open up doors for me!!

Guest nini

My husband now works in a Johnny's Pizza as a prep cook and he's learning how they make all their menu items so hopefully soon I'll be able to share with everyone what is safe at Johnny's Pizza (as they are a franchise/chain... I don't know where all they are located though.

jerseyangel Proficient

Back in my old gluten days in Atlanta, we used to love The Old Spaghetti Factory. At one point, we were going there weekly! :ph34r:

Archived