This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Newbie Looking For Bread Recipe

sonya

sonya Newbie

Hi All

I'm new to all of this, I was diagnosed celiac disease about a month ago, and have definitely felt better since going gluten-free. I am from Scotland originally, and don't really mind not being able to eat normal bread here in the US, cause I didnt really like it anyway! The preservatives make it taste alot different than the bread I was used to previously.

I bought some gluten-free bread and it was nice, a bit like bread from back home, but the slices are so small! I LOVE bread, can't live without it, gluten-free or not! So does anyone have any recipes? Possibly even ones that I can use a bread machine for?

Also, I'm right in thinking potatoes are OK, right? Sorry, might be a daft question to most of you, but as I say, I'm new!! LOL :D

I'd appreciate it, thanx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

Sonya-

Welcome!! It does get easier, I personally have no found a bread recipe yet that I like. I am trying though!! As I type this I have a batch of the peanut butter and jelly bread in my oven (recipe is listed on this site in the recipe section). We will see how it goes!! I hope it goes well, I would LOVE a sandwich!! ha

You should really check the recipes here on this site. There are several bread recipes. We have some great cooks here with us and they keep us informed with recipes to try out regularly!!

I wish you the best in your search for the perfect bread, I understand your struggle. I have been gluten-free for over a year now, and am STILL looking!

-Jessica :rolleyes:

kaylee Rookie

Hi and welcome,

I can relate to the Bread Issue! Bread has always been a big part of my enjoyment of food, too, and finding a really good replacement, gluten free, looks like it's going to be a bit of a challenge. Still, I have good hopes about finding something even if it takes a while and a lot of experimentation. What I have found so far is that the gluten-free bread is too rich for my liking, so that"s what I'm working on. The question for you is, what do YOU like in a bread? People's tastes vary a lot. It's hard to give you a recipe without knowing something about what you like!

Best,

Kaylee

Kim Explorer

Welcome Sonya.

Potatoes are fine -- they are gluten free.

Regarding the bread, there are some decent gluten free bread mixes out there that you can use in your bread machine.

good luck. Kim.

• 2 weeks later...
justmel74 Rookie

I like millet breads. They remind me of a whole grained wheat. I also like brown rice breads (same reason).

balanc Newbie

Sonya

I was diaagnosed as a celiac about a year and a half ago. I have tried many bread recipes - have had many failures (which I converted into bread crumbs) and some I didn't like. But now I have a fairly good grasp of "how to". May I suggest that you buy Bette Hagman's book "The Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread". My favorites in this book are the Buttermilk Casserole Bread and the New French Bread. Instead of the dry milk powder she lists in the recipes, I prefer using the almond meal. Also, another favorite which I found on the computer if Mirielle's almond bread. If you might like to try that, let me know.

Flo

• 2 weeks later...
raspberryjam Newbie

I have Betty's book, and had some success with the sourdough bread, but will try the ones you suggest. My husband was diagnosed a few months ago so I'm are real newbie, too. Thanks for the suggestions.

jackie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

justmel74 Rookie

I like Bette Hagman's millet bread from that book (Gluten Free Gourmet Bakes Bread). I also like her four flour bean bread and her featherlight hamburger buns (I like making buns better than bread. They're easier, and they stay nice longer in the freezer). I took her feather light flour mix and changed the recipe a bit.

The original recipe is this:

Rice flour 1 part

Tapioca flour 1 part

Cornstarch 1 part

Potato flour (NOT potato starch) 1 tsp per cup

I took the "Rice flour" portion of the recipe and make 3/4th of it brown rice flour and 1/4 of it sweet rice flour. It makes a nice almost "whole wheat" flavor. I also use this adaptation to make graham crackers. (I added Millet to the graham cracker recipe as well). My family thought my homemade graham crackers tasted a lot like store bought.

• 3 months later...
scudderkidwell Rookie

I've just got up enough nerve to start making bread. I've tried a couple of Bette Hagman's bread receipies, but the one thing I had trouble with is over baking the crust. With the first loaf, it came out a little under cooked, of course it sunk a little. The inside was a little rubbery and had a slimy texture to it. The crust was way to brown. The second one I cooked at a lower temperature and put aluminum foil over the top but it still was too brown almost burnt. The inside was dry. So how in the world can you tell when the bread is done???? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks, Jean (wife of a Celiac)

• 2 weeks later...
lilliexx Contributor

i think you tap the bread with your finger nail, and if it makes a hard tapping sound it's done. and the crust should be light golden brown.

ILhsmomof3 Newbie

I have trouble with my crusts being really dark and ... hmmm, let's say...bricklike when I bake bread, but I usually cut them off and use them as crumbs for topping casseroles and stuff.

And I definitely second the featherlight hamburger buns from the Bette Hagman cookbook. They're easy to take with us when we want to go to Grandma's, etc.

Blessings,

Tori

ILhsmomof3

Archived