Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2Boys4Me

Soccer Season

Hi All,

Soccer season is just around the corner. We got the team list last night and on the team we have one Celiac (mine) and one who's allergic to nuts and mold. I don't know anything about mold allergies. Would he be able to eat yogurt? :blink:

I want to send out a list to the parents with suggestions for their turns for snacks. I was thinking of: fruit, fruit-to-go (like fruit by the foot only different...is fruit by the foot gluten-free?), popcorn, yogurt tubes. I just have to figure out if a mold allergy has dietary restrictions. We haven't been able to reach his parents yet.

It's a mixed boys/girls team ages 6 -8 years old.

Thanks in advance!

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

This is from the Sun Rype website:

My family is allergic to nuts, gluten and dairy products. Do Sun-Rype products contain any of these?

Sun-Rype products do not contain any Nut, Gluten, or Dairy products and they are manufactured in a facility that does not process any products containing these allergens. If you have food sensitivities, we always recommend that you review the ingredient listing prior to purchasing any product.

I don't know about mold. Maybe it is an environmental allergy, like snow mold?

Nearly all Freybe products are gluten-free and cf. It is stated on their website. They have things like pepperoni sticks. You could bring crackers and cheese too. Beef jerkey from Costco. No nuts is a tough one.

Tapioca intolerant

First cousin dx'd with Celiac Disease

Grandmother died of malnutrition b/c everything made her sick... sounds like celiac to me.

Gluten-free since June 2005

Dx with IBS February 2005

Blood tests both negative (or inconclusive?) for celiac (in 2002 and 2004)

We have it really easy.....for my son's soccer snack, we are only allowed to bring fruit. That eliminates most of the common allergy problems. So, the boys usually get grapes, strawberries, orange or apple slices. Kind of boring, but the kids don't seem to mind and actually devour the fruit at halftime.

Tamara, mom to 4 gluten & casein free kiddos!

Age 11 - Psoriasis

Age 8- dx'd Celiac March 2005

Age 6- gluten-free/cf, allergy related seizures

Age 4 - reflux, resolved with gluten-free/cf

Fruit and vegetables are probably the safest and healthiest snack. I suggest orange slices, watermelon slices, and carrot sticks.

Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004

Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003

Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

When it's your turn to bring snack make rice krispe treats with a safe cereal. I just made some (and made the dairy free because I used butter flavored crisco).

I would not put this on a list to go to other parents, they wouldn't think to look for gluten-free cereal. But tasty treat when it's your turn!

Ev in Michigan

GFDF since 8/20/05

Negative Bloodwork ~

Dr. encourages me to trust my

"Gut Reaction"

I have something on hand for my son just in case he can't have the snack. When it's my turn, I usually make homemade cookies (no one has ever noticed they're "different") or gluten-free rice crispy treats. Every once in a while someone else will bring something he can eat (like Lays chips or safe fruit snacks), but I decided to not bother asking since so many people are clueless and I don't want to get into the "I brought this special for your son, what do you mean he can't eat it?" thing.

Liz

Started Specific Carbohydrate Diet on 8-16-09 because son was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and want to give him moral support.

Diagnosed with Minimal Change Nephrotic Syndrome in 2003. Discovered that going completely gluten-free put me in remission.

I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living. Psalms 27:13

Hi, any fruit snacks or fruit roll ups put out by Betty Crocker are safe . I called when my son was first diagnosed. They said they list ingredients using terms we understand, if it doesn't say "wheat", then it isn't there. Also, I am allergic to mold. No food affects me. It is more of a seasonal problem for me because of the mold under wet leaves, etc. Any mold spores that can be breathed in is the problem. I do not believe food is an issue. I eat yogurt.

Nicole

Thanks Everyone.

We did get hold of the nut & mold allergy parent today and there was nothing mentioned about any dietary restriction other than nut free.

I still think I will send out a note with the list of whose turn it is regarding the nuts/gluten, but in all liklihood I will bring a snack for Ty myself, just in case, because while people are pretty easygoing/knowledgeable about nut free, no one has a clue what gluten is never mind how to find something w/o it.

Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)

Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05

biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05

Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

I have severe mold allergies, and it's strictly environmental. The problem is when you're camping or something in a musty tent, that kind of stuff.

Alright, don't worry even if things end up a bit too heavy

We'll all float on, alright

Well we'll float on good news is on the way...