This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Soccer Season

2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Hi All,

Soccer season is just around the corner. We got the team list last night and on the team we have one Celiac (mine) and one who's allergic to nuts and mold. I don't know anything about mold allergies. Would he be able to eat yogurt? :blink:

I want to send out a list to the parents with suggestions for their turns for snacks. I was thinking of: fruit, fruit-to-go (like fruit by the foot only different...is fruit by the foot gluten-free?), popcorn, yogurt tubes. I just have to figure out if a mold allergy has dietary restrictions. We haven't been able to reach his parents yet.

It's a mixed boys/girls team ages 6 -8 years old.

Thanks in advance!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Felidae Enthusiast

This is from the Sun Rype website:

My family is allergic to nuts, gluten and dairy products. Do Sun-Rype products contain any of these?

Sun-Rype products do not contain any Nut, Gluten, or Dairy products and they are manufactured in a facility that does not process any products containing these allergens. If you have food sensitivities, we always recommend that you review the ingredient listing prior to purchasing any product.

I don't know about mold. Maybe it is an environmental allergy, like snow mold?

Nearly all Freybe products are gluten-free and cf. It is stated on their website. They have things like pepperoni sticks. You could bring crackers and cheese too. Beef jerkey from Costco. No nuts is a tough one.

taweavmo3 Enthusiast

We have it really easy.....for my son's soccer snack, we are only allowed to bring fruit. That eliminates most of the common allergy problems. So, the boys usually get grapes, strawberries, orange or apple slices. Kind of boring, but the kids don't seem to mind and actually devour the fruit at halftime.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Fruit and vegetables are probably the safest and healthiest snack. I suggest orange slices, watermelon slices, and carrot sticks.

StrongerToday Enthusiast

When it's your turn to bring snack make rice krispe treats with a safe cereal. I just made some (and made the dairy free because I used butter flavored crisco).

I would not put this on a list to go to other parents, they wouldn't think to look for gluten-free cereal. But tasty treat when it's your turn!

lonewolf Collaborator

I have something on hand for my son just in case he can't have the snack. When it's my turn, I usually make homemade cookies (no one has ever noticed they're "different") or gluten-free rice crispy treats. Every once in a while someone else will bring something he can eat (like Lays chips or safe fruit snacks), but I decided to not bother asking since so many people are clueless and I don't want to get into the "I brought this special for your son, what do you mean he can't eat it?" thing.

Nic Collaborator

Hi, any fruit snacks or fruit roll ups put out by Betty Crocker are safe . I called when my son was first diagnosed. They said they list ingredients using terms we understand, if it doesn't say "wheat", then it isn't there. Also, I am allergic to mold. No food affects me. It is more of a seasonal problem for me because of the mold under wet leaves, etc. Any mold spores that can be breathed in is the problem. I do not believe food is an issue. I eat yogurt.

Nicole

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Thanks Everyone.

We did get hold of the nut & mold allergy parent today and there was nothing mentioned about any dietary restriction other than nut free.

I still think I will send out a note with the list of whose turn it is regarding the nuts/gluten, but in all liklihood I will bring a snack for Ty myself, just in case, because while people are pretty easygoing/knowledgeable about nut free, no one has a clue what gluten is never mind how to find something w/o it.

penguin Community Regular

I have severe mold allergies, and it's strictly environmental. The problem is when you're camping or something in a musty tent, that kind of stuff.

Archived