This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Hair Products For Naturally Curly Hair?

Green12

Green12 Enthusiast

Does anyone know of a product line that caters to natural curly hair and is gluten free? I have really long thick curly hair and it is always a challenge to find hair products that work for my hair type, now the added challenge to find them gluten free.

Anyone with a similar hair type that uses something they like? I would love to hear.

Also, is wheat germ oil as a product ingredient safe?? I wonder if the oil has different properties than wheat itself.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient
Does anyone know of a product line that caters to natural curly hair and is gluten free? I have really long thick curly hair and it is always a challenge to find hair products that work for my hair type, now the added challenge to find them gluten free.

Anyone with a similar hair type that uses something they like? I would love to hear.

Also, is wheat germ oil as a product ingredient safe?? I wonder if the oil has different properties than wheat itself.

Hi Julie--Welcome! I have naturally curly hair, too. Mine is not long anymore--the last couple of years before my diagnosis, it began seriously falling out. Good news--it's filling back in, but I've had it cut so the areas will blend better. The products I used before--John Frieda and Ojon to name 2, have gluten or won't commit to being gluten-free. Right now, I'm using California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo. It has no gluten or harsh chemicals like SLS--it is good. Makes my hair very soft and looks good if I let it dry naturally. I plan to try Shikai shampoo and conditioner--it looks good, and I called the co. and was told there is no gluten in their haircare products. (there is gluten in their skin care line, though). They also do not use SLS (sodium laurel sulfate). If you are looking for a drugstore brand, Thermasilk is good, also and gluten-free.

Wheat germ oil is something we need to stay away from. It's in a lot of things like mascara--not good!

Green12 Enthusiast
Hi Julie--Welcome! I have naturally curly hair, too. Mine is not long anymore--the last couple of years before my diagnosis, it began seriously falling out. Good news--it's filling back in, but I've had it cut so the areas will blend better. The products I used before--John Frieda and Ojon to name 2, have gluten or won't commit to being gluten-free. Right now, I'm using California Baby Super Sensitive Shampoo. It has no gluten or harsh chemicals like SLS--it is good. Makes my hair very soft and looks good if I let it dry naturally. I plan to try Shikai shampoo and conditioner--it looks good, and I called the co. and was told there is no gluten in their haircare products. (there is gluten in their skin care line, though). They also do not use SLS (sodium laurel sulfate). If you are looking for a drugstore brand, Thermasilk is good, also and gluten-free.

Wheat germ oil is something we need to stay away from. It's in a lot of things like mascara--not good!

Jerseyangel, thanks so much for the welcome and thanks for this information. I am forever seeking hair products that will work for me, I finally found a decent line, Elucence, and they use wheat proteins in their products. Bummer.

I am familiar with Shikai that you mentioned. In fact, Shikai makes my favorite lotion in a gardenia scent, but their lotions have wheat germ in it. Another bummer. I will look into their shampoo.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi again--I want to tell you that I did get the Shikai Everyday Shampoo & the Conditioner over the weekend. I've used it twice now, and really like it! My hair is very soft and shiny. I let it dry curly yesterday, and blew it dry today--looked good both ways. Yes, their body broducts contain gluten--but I did confirm by phone that the hair products do not.

Rusla Enthusiast

Welcome to the board Julie. You can get Bumble and Bumble they are only in select salons and they are expensive. There is also some stuff out by Redken. Mine only became curly because of my thyroid.

ms-sillyak-screwed Enthusiast

Over the weekend I was in a beauty supply store. Not the type like "Sallys Beauty Supply" chain. I am a cosmetologist I spent 2 hours reading labels. What a shocker. EVERYTHING I have been using the last 20 years is filled with WHEAT & SOY...

Redken -- ANTI-SNAP -- A great product, or so I thought. It's ingredient is high in Wheat and Soy.

Shampoos that nare called it Natural -- are in essense filled with Wheat & SOY.

I would be here for a month listing my findings...

After I spent a few hours reading professional products labels; somethings bigger came to mind. We have talked about taking on "the big guys" to remove Gluten & Soy and other things from our foods and drugs. But beauty, skin care & hair care are NOT REGULATED and this poses another big problem for those of us with celiac and other health issues with things making us sick.

Rusla -- Is right thyroid can change your hair. It did mine too. For me it isn't more curly. The texture has changed to a bit more courser and thinner.

Green12 Enthusiast
Welcome to the board Julie. You can get Bumble and Bumble they are only in select salons and they are expensive. There is also some stuff out by Redken. Mine only became curly because of my thyroid.

Hi Rusla, thank you for the welcome and thanks for your product suggestions. I was born with curly hair but it sure has changed in texture over the years with different health issues. One hair stylists said "hair is all about the hormones, what's going on in the body will show up in your hair", so true.

Jerseyangel- thanks for the feedback on the Shikai. I might give it a try. It's always a trial and error process until you find something you like, isn't it?!?!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Ha--it sure is! This hair has a mind of it's own :D Good luck with finding just the right product for yours! Oh--have you looked into Matrix? I BELIEVE it uses silk proteins--you'd have to double check on that, though.

penguin Community Regular

If you're looking for something more wal-marty, I use infusium color for conditioner and the leave in for frizz. I love it. I'm also a fan of dove mousse for holding down the beasty hair. :)

jerseyangel Proficient
If you're looking for something more wal-marty, I use infusium color for conditioner and the leave in for frizz. I love it. I'm also a fan of dove mousse for holding down the beasty hair. :)

I love the Dove Smooth and Soft anti-frizz cream--it comes in a little pump bottle. Dosen't give that hard, crinkle-y feeling. :)

Green12 Enthusiast

ChelsE- thanks for these suggestions. I tried infusium, but years and years ago. I might have to give it another try. I love the sound of Dove, I really admire their new beauty campaign with women of all shapes, colors and sizes- makes you want to go out and buy Dove!

I had to laugh when you said "holding down the beasty hair" that is exactly how it is, trying to find something to tame the beast!

jerseyangel- I saw that Matrix had a curly hair line, my stylist didn't give it a thumbs up however, but it might be worth looking into.

ChelsE -- I love that DOVE foam mouse conditioner too. It's really nice and has SILK in it not SOY . It strips my color only a little. I have bottle red hair. Red is a hardest color to keep. I can't find DOVE foam mouse anymore here in Florida. A sales girl in Walgreens told me they discontined it. I hope not it's really good and I'm very fussy diva.

Matrix is a good option too. Quality line of salon products. Look at ingeredients in Biolage... Open Original Shared Link Open Original Shared Link write to them and ask the site says natural inngredients but natural can be wheat protein. Just check and see...

• 3 weeks later...

I just sent an email to Dove asking where to buy the 'new' foam conditioner extra volume. It's on their web site so they haven't discontuned it. Maybe it's become very popular and it's screamin-off-the shelves and that why I can't find it. I have been to three different types of stores to find it. And no luck! I'll wait to hear back and I'll let you know what Dove says.

lonewolf Collaborator

I'm just seeing this for the first time. Thyroid problems can make your hair curly? Really? My engagement picture - almost 19 years ago now, shows me with straight, maybe slightly wavy, thick hair. Now my hair is curly, I mean CURLY and very thin. I've been on Armour Thyroid (tried a couple of others too) for about 10 years now and my hair has only become curlier. Certainly not any thicker though. I'm blown away by this. I always wondered how my hair got curlier - people are always asking me about my "perm" - especially if they haven't seen me for several years.

Below is the email I sent and their reply:

Comments: I love your DOVE FOAM CONDITIONER - EXTRA VOLUME for use in the shower. I have been searching south east Florida Walgreens, Walmart and Publix supermarkets looking for it. I hope you haven't discontunied this product. It's the best I've found. Love what it does for my hair. Can you tell me if you still carry it? And if so where can I buy it now? If not please tell me what else you carry like it?

Thanks for writing!

The product you have contacted us about has been discontinued. We have no stock.

Our company's goal is to provide consumers with a variety of products to meet their needs and preferences. As you know, marketing is a complex function, and many business factors are taken into consideration before discontinuing a product. Before a product becomes available at the retail level, much time and expense is involved in perfecting the formulation, consumer focus testing, and marketing support. It truly saddens us when we must discontinue a product. However, consumer demand is a major factor. When the level of demand is insufficient to ensure that consumers receive high quality products at an affordable price, the product may be discontinued.

You may want to access our website at www.dove.com for a variety of new products that may meet your needs. email - Comments.Doveusa@unilever.com

NOTICE THAT SHE DIDN'T TELL ME WHAT OTHER PRODUCT HAD REPLACED IT? OR what other product is like it? The compnay still has it profiled on their web site and 'new' product. And they don't even update the information published to the public...

PS - About curly hair and thyroid. My hair didn't get thicker and curly(er) just more coarse and wirey. And more resistant to hair color.

jenn6149 Newbie

I tried samples of products from Desert Essence. They are lauching a vegan, gluten free, wheat free, line of skin and hair care. I tried an Italian Grape Shampoo and COnditioner and my hair looked great either left curly or straightened. The lotions smell great as well. My favorite is he Vanilla Chai. The company told me that their cosmetic chemist is celiac. Since she invented the Desert Essence Organics line it is all gluten free!!! Products are also paraben, silicone, glycol and SLS free. I can't wait for more to arrive at Whole Foods.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I love Alterna Caviar shampoo and conditioner. I have long, thick, curly, processed hair and it keeps it soft. Because it doesn't have waxes in the shampoo and conditioner, I don't have to wash my hair as often ... only twice a week (yes, even when I work out). When my hair stylist suggested this, I thought she was crazy, but it's doing fine and so much easier!! I put some of the conditioner in an old hairspray bottle along with water. I use that to spray my hair in the morning, then, if I comb it with more than my fingers, I use one of those wide-tooth shower combs. After a few months of washing my hair only a couple times per week, now if I have a special event (like my avatar, that was Easter), I am sure to not wash my hair that day because it looks better. Crazy, huh?

I love Alterna Caviar

Check the ingredients -- I just did. I don't know if you have a problem with SOY like many Celiac's do. Many of these product have soy and other ingredients.

Green12 Enthusiast
I tried samples of products from Desert Essence. They are lauching a vegan, gluten free, wheat free, line of skin and hair care. I tried an Italian Grape Shampoo and COnditioner and my hair looked great either left curly or straightened. The lotions smell great as well. My favorite is he Vanilla Chai. The company told me that their cosmetic chemist is celiac. Since she invented the Desert Essence Organics line it is all gluten free!!! Products are also paraben, silicone, glycol and SLS free. I can't wait for more to arrive at Whole Foods.

Very good news about the Desert Essence Organics all gluten free line, thank you for sharing jenn!

I have used their toothpaste and floss and really like their products. I will look for the hair line next time I go to my health food store.

I'm just going to try everything until I find something that works for me and my big hair!

I love Alterna Caviar shampoo and conditioner. I have long, thick, curly, processed hair and it keeps it soft. Because it doesn't have waxes in the shampoo and conditioner, I don't have to wash my hair as often ... only twice a week (yes, even when I work out). When my hair stylist suggested this, I thought she was crazy, but it's doing fine and so much easier!! I put some of the conditioner in an old hairspray bottle along with water. I use that to spray my hair in the morning, then, if I comb it with more than my fingers, I use one of those wide-tooth shower combs. After a few months of washing my hair only a couple times per week, now if I have a special event (like my avatar, that was Easter), I am sure to not wash my hair that day because it looks better. Crazy, huh?

Carla B, another great suggestion. Do you find Alterna in regular stores, or hair salons, or what?

I understand about the not washing curly hair, my stylists said for me to wash it every other day, or every two days, because washing it too frequently strips the oils too much and that's when you get more dryness and thus frizz with the beasty hair.

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Jenn--welcome! Thanks for the info on Desert Essence! I had never heard of it, but will definately be checking it out. :) A Celiac chemist--wow! I also only choose products that are SLS free.

I have been using Shikai Everyday Shampoo and Conditioner for the past couple of weeks. I really like it. When my hair was longer and I wore it curly every day, I would only shampoo every other day--just rinse it in the shower and use a little conditioner on the odd days. Right now, I'm blow drying it (it's short) so I am washing it every day again.

CarlaB Enthusiast

I don't have a problem with soy, but thanks for the suggestion.

You will find it at salons only. It's a high-end product, but since I only use it a couple times per week, I don't worry about it. After all, I even pay more for the color :P They have a salon locator at their website.

DingoGirl Enthusiast

What? :o This is interesting. My hair grew out into a completely different thing on top of my head in the last year, very frizzy and kinky now, each strand is much thinner in diameter. But, I thought it was because of the nervous breakdown/Siege of Terror of 2004 (I was in a state of terror, adrenaline pumping every second and lost so much weight....it was very hard on my body, AND my parents - had to move in with them for three months). That's when my hair began falling out - don't know how much hair change has to do with Celiac and how much to do wtih the breakdown, age, malnutrition, etc.

BUT - I did not know thyroid changes could cause your hair type to change...tell me more. I just had thyroid tested, but my doctor is SO different now, I don't like her at all any more - spends two seconds with each patient and done. SAID that everything's normal, but my hair's still falling out.

AND SO FREAKING FRIZZY :angry: have to use many products to straighten....

Susan

CarlaB Enthusiast

On days my hair is frizzy, if the spray on conditioner I make in an old hairspray bottle doesn't work, I rub hand lotion into my hair like you would pomade. Works great! Then I have to wash it more often though.

I've always had thick, curly hair, so I can't tell you about it changing. I know that when my cousin lost all his hair to chemo, it grew in curly, then it grew back straight after a while. I don't know if it's the same with the hair loss due to celiac. My hair used to fall out in handfuls, but thankfully, it's so thick it didn't matter much. My fingernails are growing strong again, and my hair is growing faster, even my hair stylist commented on it, but no changes in texture.

Carla

• 9 months later...
Prairie Girl Apprentice

Hi,

I just came across this post.. I have VERY curly hair as well. The best products that I have found after years of searching and trying everything possible are pantene pro-v shampoo and conditioner. and from walmart, dippidy do! it is super cheap and honestly works better than anything. a hair dresser i had in the past recommended it to me. i think that pantene pro-v and dippidy do are both gluten free. i have been using them for years without a problem.

Archived