This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Road Trip

mbg98

mbg98 Contributor

Hi everyone, i'm in count down mode to my disney world trip! I'm so excited!! We will however be driving, 16 hours, yuck! I am of course taking a cooler with snacks and sandwich roll-ups, but in case we stop what can and can't i have? I know there is definatley a risk of cross contamination and such but just in case we stop along the way i want to be prepared. I of course know I can have a Wendy's baked potatoe but can I have there Chili? Mcdonalds i know is iffyl with the Frie issue but last I heard they were gluten free, is anything else there? Arbys, Burger king? What about Cracker barrel do they have a Gluten Free menu?

thanks for the help!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Jnkmnky Collaborator

Stopping at Super walmarts is a great choice. There are lots of super Walmarts right off of major roads. Walmart has a labeling policy and some choice foods you can eat. Also, if there is a supermarket with a salad bar, you can make a salad with hard boiled eggs etc. We've traveled x-country no less than five times with three little kids. Have fun.

mbg98 Contributor

Thanks, but most of the stuff you get at walmart I would have packed in my cooler, Im looking for although risky some type of fast food. Can any one help?

flagbabyds Collaborator

I wouldn't do fast food, I would just stop at walmart once you have exhausted your cooler supply, and then pacl it up again when you stop at the store, you can also see if there is a whole foods on your way and get some food there too.

Have fun!

happygirl Collaborator

mcdonalds, wendys, chick-fil-a, taco bell, burger king, etc all have info on their webpages about allergies, most of whom include gluten information.

however, let me note from personal experience, that being glutened on a trip is one of the worst things in the world (after eating at fast food places). I only eat gluten free items, tell the staff to be careful, etc.....still, cross contamination will happen...

hope that you have a lovely trip! i LOVE disney world...I was Minnie Mouse two years for Halloween as a little girl. :)

Franceen Explorer
mcdonalds, wendys, chick-fil-a, taco bell, burger king, etc all have info on their webpages about allergies, most of whom include gluten information.

however, let me note from personal experience, that being glutened on a trip is one of the worst things in the world (after eating at fast food places). I only eat gluten free items, tell the staff to be careful, etc.....still, cross contamination will happen...

hope that you have a lovely trip! i LOVE disney world...I was Minnie Mouse two years for Halloween as a little girl. :)

After I saw the post with the Walmart labeling policy, my husband and I went to a Walmart Supercenter here in Fredericksburg VA. We spent about 2 hours reading labels to try to find the elusive "gluten free" labels on their "Great Value" items.

After all that time, we found about 3 - 5 items labeled Gluten Free - a jar of PICKLES (gluten-free anyway), a jar of FRUIT, and some popcorn-like snack. Many of their items that are gluten-free are NOT labeled, as WALMART changes suppliers for "Great Value" products almost daily and they are not going to assume liability for their offshore and "private" suppliers.

Their policy is a HUGE PLOY - maybe even "bait and switch". (typical of Walmart). They are labeling some things that are gluten free by their very nature (pickles, Fruit, popcorn). They are not BUYING ANY NEW gluten-free Items, nor even labeling stuff that is gluten-free anyway. Big Disappointment. I asked them if they carry any gluten-free flours or baked items. OF COURSE NOT! "They wouldn't sell".......

I found more gluten-free-labeled stuff at Giant and Food Lion.

I felt like telling Walmart, "why don't you put gluten-free on the barcode of their apples and grapes, etc?"

They could then advertise "over 10,000 MORE items that are gluten-free!" (and have no further liability).

The company really has no intent of merchandising anything gluten-free other than what's already inherently gluten-free.

The stuff at Walmart is the same stuff as everywhere else, one has to know one's "ingredients" and learn to read labels to be gluten-free. Walmart isn't going to help.

Then again, to give benefit of doubt, this area of the country is increasingly turning asian, hispanic, and black. These races do not get Celiac. I've noticed that the international food section of Shopper's Food Warehouse is now almost 2 aisles, with many many hispanic specialties in every section. Therefore this area could be different than a store in New York State or other areas of the country where there are still a lot of northern Euopeans whites - maybe in Wisconsin they have Walmarts with a lot of gluten-free items......but doubt that Walmart regionalizes their own brand.

Anyone else found any gluten-free in Walmart?

:unsure:

frenchiemama Collaborator
Then again, to give benefit of doubt, this area of the country is increasingly turning asian, hispanic, and black. These races do not get Celiac.

That's not true.

Therefore this area could be different than a store in New York State or other areas of the country where there are still a lot of northern Euopeans whites - maybe in Wisconsin they have Walmarts with a lot of gluten-free items......but doubt that Walmart regionalizes their own brand.

Nope. I live in Wisconsin and there are not a lot of gluten free things at walmart.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Felidae Enthusiast
Then again, to give benefit of doubt, this area of the country is increasingly turning asian, hispanic, and black. These races do not get Celiac. I've noticed that the international food section of Shopper's Food Warehouse is now almost 2 aisles, with many many hispanic specialties in every section. Therefore this area could be different than a store in New York State or other areas of the country where there are still a lot of northern Euopeans whites - maybe in Wisconsin they have Walmarts with a lot of gluten-free items......but doubt that Walmart regionalizes their own brand.

Celiac disease may be more predominant in people with different ancestral heritages. But, I think it is becoming less discriminate.

I love the international aisles because you can get some great rice noodles and other stuff for cheap.

jaten Enthusiast

Franceen, I can ditto your 2-3 hr label reading trip to W-M for the elusive gluten-free Great Value brand foods. I had similar results. I was really bummed, because I had gotten psyched for a treasure trove of new foods. The only thing I can add to the sparse list you made is the Great Value apple juice. Woo hoo! (I don't even care for apple juice!)

BTW, I live in the Southeast, about an hour south of Memphis.

• 3 months later...
Super Bellybutton Rookie
Then again, to give benefit of doubt, this area of the country is increasingly turning asian, hispanic, and black. These races do not get Celiac.

Open Original Shared Link

• 10 months later...
rtucker2000 Newbie

This is a e-mail response I got from Cracker Barrel:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us here at Cracker Barrel Old Country Store. We appreciate receiving your inquiry and we do understand your concern.

The following is a list of menu items that do not contain wheat, barley, or rye products as an ingredient(the modified food starch in the fried apples is from corn). However, we have an open kitchen where biscuits and dumplings are made from scratch several times daily. Many of our grill items do not contain glutents but are prepared on the same equipment as products that do. There is always a chance that cross-transference may occur.

Please inform a manager of your sensitivity when you visit one of our stores to ensure that every effort is made to prevent the accidental transfer of glutens via the handling and preparation of your meal.

Grill Items: hamburger steak, ribeye and sirloin steak, grilled catfish, grilled trout, grilled pork chops, country ham, city ham, bacon, eggs, pork sausage, turkey sausage

Side Items: carrots, cole slaw, corn, fried apples, green beans, mashed potatoes, baked potato, pinto beans, turnip greens

Excluding the fried chicken tender salad and chunky chicken (homemade chicken salad) salad, salads ordered without croutons would not contain glutens. See the ingredient statements below for our salad dressings choice.

The vinegars used in the salad refined distilled grain vinegars. According to the American Celiac Disease Alliance, "Distilled alcoholic beverages and vinegars are gluten-free. Distilled products do not contain any harmful gluten peptides. Research indicates that the gluten peptide is too large to carry over in the distillation process. This leaves the resultant liquid gluten-free."

Buttermilk Dressing: cultured buttermilk, soybean oil, water, egg yolk, distilled vinegar, salt, corn syrup, sugar, spices, lactic acid, xanthan gum, guar gum, onion*, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate added as preservatives, garlic*, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor. *DEHYDRATED

Peppercorn Dressing: soybean oil, water, sour cream solids, egg yolk, distilled vinegar, salt, spices, dehydrated garlic, xanthan gum, potassium sorbate and sodium benzoate added as preservatives, natural flavor, calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.

Honey French Dressing: high fructrose corn syrup, soybean oil, corn-cider vinegar, distilled vinegar, tomato paste, salt, paprika, spices, xanthan gum, onion*, honey, invert sugar, beet juice concentrate, garlic*, natural flavor. *DEHYDRATED

Honey Mustard Dressing: soybean oil, water, high fructrose corn syrup, distilled vinegar, honey, egg yolk, mustard seed, sugar, salt, spice, white wine, natural flavor, xanthan gum, citric acid, tartartic acid, artificial color (including yellow #5), calcium disodium EDTA added to protect flavor.

1000 Island Dressing: soybean oil, water, pickles, sugar, tomato paste, distilled vinegar, high fructrose corn syrup, egg yolk, salt, spice, sodium benzoate, and potassium sorbate added as preservatives, natural and artificial flavors, onion*, bell peppers, garlic*, calcium disodium EDTA to protect flavor, xanthan gum, guar gum, polysorbate 80. *DEHYDRATED

We look forward to having the opportunity to serve you again soon.

Sincerely,

Pam Seay

Guest Relations Representative

Cracker Barrel Old Country Store, Inc.

• 1 month later...
rajawali Newbie
After I saw the post with the Walmart labeling policy, my husband and I went to a Walmart Supercenter here in Fredericksburg VA. We spent about 2 hours reading labels to try to find the elusive "gluten free" labels on their "Great Value" items.

After all that time, we found about 3 - 5 items labeled Gluten Free - a jar of PICKLES (gluten-free anyway), a jar of FRUIT, and some popcorn-like snack. Many of their items that are gluten-free are NOT labeled, as WALMART changes suppliers for "Great Value" products almost daily and they are not going to assume liability for their offshore and "private" suppliers.

Their policy is a HUGE PLOY - maybe even "bait and switch". (typical of Walmart). They are labeling some things that are gluten free by their very nature (pickles, Fruit, popcorn). They are not BUYING ANY NEW gluten-free Items, nor even labeling stuff that is gluten-free anyway. Big Disappointment. I asked them if they carry any gluten-free flours or baked items. OF COURSE NOT! "They wouldn't sell".......

I found more gluten-free-labeled stuff at Giant and Food Lion.

I felt like telling Walmart, "why don't you put gluten-free on the barcode of their apples and grapes, etc?"

They could then advertise "over 10,000 MORE items that are gluten-free!" (and have no further liability).

The company really has no intent of merchandising anything gluten-free other than what's already inherently gluten-free.

The stuff at Walmart is the same stuff as everywhere else, one has to know one's "ingredients" and learn to read labels to be gluten-free. Walmart isn't going to help.

Anyone else found any gluten-free in Walmart?

:unsure:

---------------------------------------

Response to Franceen,

The above response was dated April 9, 2006, and I didn't see it until today (recently diagnosed Celiac victim). I am not sure if you would see mine. Just to let you know, my ethnic background is part Indonesian and part Chinese.

Hope this helps.

Rajawali.

Archived