• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

calyandra

Celiac In France (paris And South Of France)

Rate this topic

Hi all!

I'm sure this question has been asked to death on here but my husband and I are traveling to France next month and will be visiting Paris and the South of France. I have celiacs and am a little concerned about eating out in France since they are bread heavy and use flour in most sauces. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 20-something couple from NYC dining out in the Paris/South of France areas? Is there any particular way I should address the gluten issue at restaurants? I don't know any French and am scrambling to learn the basics like "I'm allergic to flour." I'd be glad to have any recommendations/advice/help.

Thanks!

Calyandra

Hi all!

I'm sure this question has been asked to death on here but my husband and I are traveling to France next month and will be visiting Paris and the South of France. I have celiacs and am a little concerned about eating out in France since they are bread heavy and use flour in most sauces. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 20-something couple from NYC dining out in the Paris/South of France areas? Is there any particular way I should address the gluten issue at restaurants? I don't know any French and am scrambling to learn the basics like "I'm allergic to flour." I'd be glad to have any recommendations/advice/help.

Thanks!

Calyandra

Hello Calyandra-

I just returned from Paris last week... I still need to write up some things for this list and the list serv... but I will tell you - I had a ball. I was quite nervous about the language barrier, since I do not speak french. I posted questions to this forum and the delphiforums list and the list serv... I googled french gluten free, french dining cards, traveling with celiac and more...

I didn't have any gluten episodes -- very exciting!

My boyfriend didn't confirm my gluten free meal on our flight, so I am not sure if it is even possible on Air France, but if I were you, I would pack snacks for the flight over and back. I am in love with the Think Organic bars... and they are not very big, so easy to travel with... I also had a couple of bananas for the flight over... I had packed some fruit leathers, ener-g pretzels (and I brought tons of zip lock bags for when I opened the packs)... I tried to eat, when others were eating the airplane meals... and since I hadn't requested a gluten-free meal on the flight, I just allowed them to bring me one, and I ate what I could (all was individually wrapped)... primarily that meant yogurt... and juice.

While I was in Paris, I had several copies of various French dining cards... there was one that I used more thn the others... try this link

http://www.celiactravel.com/gluten-free-cards/14-french.html

I would look over the menu and narrow down to something I wanted that seemed to be gluten free and then I would order it and give the waiter my french dining card... every waiter took it very seriously! A couple of times I used it to order the main course, and then if we opted for dessert, I would show again...

I will soon be posting all the restaurants I ate at... so keep your eyes open, and if you want me to email it to you, when I get it put together- let me know- tanyasmiles@gmail.com

Something that I found amusing... the word for bread in french is "pain" ... there are several places that are Pommes au pain.... we lovingly referred to them as houses of pain... its easy to know to stay away! Someone suggested that I learn what the french words are for wheat, barley, rye and oats... good idea, I think... I remember that ble' is the word for wheat.

Oh there is so much fun stuff to share, but this post is getting so long! I had such a wonderful time while I was in Paris. Gluten Free eating CAN be done there... and I was pretty nervous.

I hope that helps you a little!

Still smiling,

Tanya in Chicago

Tanya,

You are a lifesaver! I'm traveling to Paris on May 24th, and like you, I've done all of the research with dining cards, french lycos search, gluten free travel, you name it, but I've still been nervous about my visit. I would really really appreciate any insights you might have into restaurants, stores, etc. I'll be staying in a Hilton about 20 minutes outside of the city center, but I'll be spending most of my time around the city. Here's my email address if you have any advice that you don't post: naj121@psu.edu

Nicole

Hi! I am french-canadian!

Here are a few sentences to help:

La farine, le ble et le gluten me rendent tres malade.

Flour, wheat and gluten make me very sick.

Pourriez-vous m'aider avec votre menu?

Can you help me with your menu?

Je voudrais m'assurer, avec toute certitude, que je ne commanderais pas un repas qui contient du gluten.

I would like to make sure, with absolute certainty, that I won't order anything with gluten.

J'apprecie enormement votre comprehension et votre gentillesse a cet egard.

I truly appreciate your understanding and your kindness with my request.

Tout est delicieux!

Everything is delicious!

Or:

C'etait degoutant, trop cher, et nous ne laisserons pas de pourboire!

That was disgusting and overpriced, no tip for you! ;)

He he he!