Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I had been buying real maple syrup, but stopped because of $$$. I guess I'll be going back. I just bought log cabin. only used it once. I feel awful. I keep glutening my son with supposedly gluten-free products! :angry:

I wish I could think of the brand name of the syrup I used. It was sugar free and on the back of the bottle it had clearly written "This product is free of Gluten". I was so excited, I had to buy it... it was pretty expensive.

Just thought I'd pass along a recipe my dad used to make al the time. It was sooo good. Vincent - it tates a lot like th Pancake Pantry in Nashville if you've been there.

1 c. water

1 c. sugar

2-4 tsp. Maple flavoring

Boil sugar and water until it starts to get thick. Add maple flavoring and serve with pancakes or waffles. It's a bit thinner than bought syrup, but I grew up on it and loved it. I think I'm going back to it now. I'm sure he did it to save $$, but it was great.

I use Log Cabin original, Aunt Jemina Origianl or Mrs. Butterworth's original. All 3 are gluten-free. Be careful about other varieties though, such as butter flavor, Lite or sugar fee. I have not checked all of those out, but maybe someone else has.

I eat Van's gluten-free waffles everyday for breakfast! :)

How are those Van's waffles? I bought some but haven't tried them yet!

I used to use Aunt Jemina...but I now use Wild Oat's amber--really good! I tried regular--real maple syrup before and was grossed out--but Wild Oats was good--tasted like the 'fake' syrup I was always used to :)

I really like the blueberry ones...the plain & apple cinnamon are good too. Did not care for the flax ones, but I don't think flax agrees with me so well.

I really like the blueberry ones...the plain & apple cinnamon are good too. Did not care for the flax ones, but I don't think flax agrees with me so well.

Dont like flax here either... but we dont have the blueberrie ones I dont think. Will have to look!

We use real maple syrup but I make it last longer by adding jams and jellies to it. Smuckers jams are great in the syrup. I stir in a lump of jam, heat it for about 15 seconds in the microwave and stir and heat it again for a few seconds. Kids love it. Also, one of my kids won't eat syrup since I put cinnamon sugar on waffles one day. Now it's cheap cinnamon sugar only. Experiment and see if the kids will try other things on top.

Lifestream wildberry are our favorite. Flax had a crumbly consistency.

I still haven't gotten a straight answer for Mrs. Butterworth's, but I think they are a Pinnacle food, too, right? I emailed specifically asking about Mrs. Butterworth b/c the dietician and I were talking about it. I stick with Aunt Jemima, although may give Kroger syrup a try. I did email Pinnacle again the other day and this is the response I got:

July 19, 2006

Dear Ms. Bouldin:

Thank you for taking the time to inquire about Pinnacle Foods Corporation

and the products we produce which might be gluten-free. We appreciate

your interest in our company and our products.

At the present time, Vlasic® Pickles, Sauerkraut and Peppers and Log

Cabin® Country Kitchen syrup are gluten-free. The vinegar used in

production of these items is corn-based, rather than wheat-based. Other

items in our product lines (which include Swanson® frozen foods, Mrs.

Butterworth's, and Open Pit® barbecue sauces) generally contain

wheat-based ingredients in the form of modified food starches and other

thickening agents.

While our manufacturing facilities follow generally accepted good

manufacturing practices, we do not have the flexibility of segregating

production lines for the exclusive production of wheat-free items. We

recommend that you review the list of ingredients on the package prior to

purchase to assure that you are meeting your specific dietary needs. Since

we are constantly improving our products, ingredients may change from time

to time.

We appreciate the time you've taken to share your specific concerns with

us, because it helps us to become aware of consumer needs. We hope you

find this information helpful.

Sincerely,

Darlene Peters

Consumer Response Representative

000779645A

**END**

Only syrup I have found, and I don't like the real thing, is Log Cabin Country Kitchen brand. AND I found it in Walmart after looking everywhere. Got the Email from the maker of Log Cabin saying it was Gluten Free. Also, Walmart is going to start carrying some Gluten Free products by fall, a grocery clerk told me that part of an isle will be devoted to it. He proudly showed me the new offer of pancake mix which said Gluten Free on the front. still expensive but not as expensive as a reg. supermarket. Anything to get the price down!! BCL