• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

VydorScope

Need Birthday Cake Rescuing!

Rate this topic

OKay todays my birthday, and I always have :( IceCream Cake : ( but cant :angry: this year do to dairyfree. Soooooo...

If I get one of Pamula's mix's and bake my own dang cake, whats a good alternative for the dairy and egg? I often use 1 1/2 T. water, 1 1/2 T. oil, 1 tsp. baking powder per egg, but is there better option? NOTE: MY WIFE HATES FLAX SEED AND WILL BURN ANYONE AT THE STAKE THAT SUGGESTS YOU USE IT :D I know you can use water for milk 1:1 but is there a better option?

Thanks!

Alrighty then, I think flax seed would be good :P How an egg substitute and rice milk. How about soy or rice cream.

vincent, I think I'll give you a birthday present..and NOT send a recipe :o:lol:

You know what i mean? Don't want to make ya sick.. :lol::lol:

Judy

Guest nini

approx 1/4 cup per egg plus add a teaspoon of baking soda to the recipe... you can also add a 1/2 tsp of gluten-free vanilla extract as well...

another version is 1/4 cup silken tofu per egg and a teaspoon of baking soda to the recipe also add vanilla...

approx 1/4 cup per egg plus add a teaspoon of baking soda to the recipe... you can also add a 1/2 tsp of gluten-free vanilla extract as well...

another version is 1/4 cup silken tofu per egg and a teaspoon of baking soda to the recipe also add vanilla...

Thanks!

Wellyou can add vanilla extra to any baked good realy :) I like the idea of tryin apple sauce rather then oil. I'll have to pick up some 100% pure stuff today and try it.

What about for milk, any ideas beyond rice/soy/almond? If the DariFree stuff arrives today I'll try that, but prbly to soon since the REALY COOL AND AWSOME PERSON OF JERSEYANGEL only mailed it on friday.

Guest nini

some dairy free recipes I've seen use ORANGE JUICE in place of milk! I've not personally tried it, so I can't vouch for the flavor, but I have seen this on more than one occassion in recipes...

some dairy free recipes I've seen use ORANGE JUICE in place of milk! I've not personally tried it, so I can't vouch for the flavor, but I have seen this on more than one occassion in recipes...

yea, the FAAN recomends fruit juice so I picked up some OJ and natural apple sauce form Motts on way home. I'll post how it all comes out later today. :D

THANKS!

OKay todays my birthday, and I always have :( IceCream Cake : ( but cant :angry: this year do to dairyfree. Soooooo...

If I get one of Pamula's mix's and bake my own dang cake, whats a good alternative for the dairy and egg? I often use 1 1/2 T. water, 1 1/2 T. oil, 1 tsp. baking powder per egg, but is there better option? NOTE: MY WIFE HATES FLAX SEED AND WILL BURN ANYONE AT THE STAKE THAT SUGGESTS YOU USE IT :D I know you can use water for milk 1:1 but is there a better option?

Thanks!

You didn't specify if you are making a white/yellow cake or chocolate cake? Pamela's Pancake and Baking Mix has dairy in the mix, I think buttermilk powder. The chocolate cake mix is dairy free.

I have used coconut milk as a milk substitute for a white/yellow cake.

Would you consider baking one from scratch?

Absoluly, bake from scratch all the time. Got a freezer full of flours heh. DF/EF/gluten-free/NF is a new combo for me to try and work with though LOL

Okay, you've probably already made your cake, but just in case you're still looking, rice milk works great in any cake. You can't taste it. Water will work okay. Here's the link to the white cake recipe in the recipes section - I used water. Use your regular egg substitute or Ener-G Egg Replacer. Cupcakes also work better than larger cakes. You can put them together and frost the top like one big cake.

http://www.celiac.com/st_prod.html?p_prodi...-19106602501.52

Everyone's already given you anything that I've thought of but please post whatever you do if it's good. and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

I'm going to try that white cake that Liz linked to sometime this week.

yea, the FAAN recomends fruit juice so I picked up some OJ and natural apple sauce form Motts on way home. I'll post how it all comes out later today. :D

THANKS!

This I gotta try! I love orange and chocolate together....I have a mix from Cherrybrook kitchens at home that I will try with OJ instead of Soymilk next time!!!

Thanks!

Happy B-Day!!!!

This I gotta try! I love orange and chocolate together....I have a mix from Cherrybrook kitchens at home that I will try with OJ instead of Soymilk next time!!!

Thanks!

Happy B-Day!!!!

I love orange and chocolate together, too! In the "old days", I used to love oreos washed down with o.j. :D

My grandmother used to make a cake that used OJ in a butter cake mix, then she would boil about a cup of OJ with 1/2 C. sugar until it was thick, slice the cake, but leave it itact, then pour the syrup over it. It was soooooo good. She did this is a pyrex dish, so it wouldn't run everywhere. I would make one now if my hubby wasn't diabetic! :( I'd hate to tempt him!

My grandmother used to make a cake that used OJ in a butter cake mix, then she would boil about a cup of OJ with 1/2 C. sugar until it was thick, slice the cake, but leave it itact, then pour the syrup over it. It was soooooo good. She did this is a pyrex dish, so it wouldn't run everywhere. I would make one now if my hubby wasn't diabetic! :( I'd hate to tempt him!

That sounds delicious :P That would work well, I think, with the GFP Cake and Cookie Mix, done as a cake.

Welp its cooked. I am waiting for it to cool enough to put frosting on. I made it as cupcakes cause its eiaser with a toddler. :D

The only thing is the mix says "may contian traces of milk" bah. Ah well I'll try these out and find a dif mix next time. I'll post exactly what I did later if it works LOL

Okay well I did not last long LOL! I iced just one and ate it. It was VERY good. I think I like it beter then useing eggs/dairy. Its alot more mosit.

I did 1/4th cup apple suace per egg, but did not add any extra baking soda. I used puple free minite maid oj, 100% pure one. The rest I did as per Pamula Cholocate BROWNIE mix directions for cake. :)

Like I siad package says "may contain traces of milk" so have to find a new mix for next try....