• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

mommyetb

Vegetarian Food Choices...

Rate this topic

I have an interesting family. My daughter and husband are dairy allergic. My son is celiac and egg allergy. We are also vegetarians. I found the the tofu pups at our grocery store and that made me SO happy to be able to give him hotdogs again! Burgers are a little harder. So for you vegetarians out there what do you eat? What brands have you found that excite you?

Can't wait to find out!

Taffy

hi there! im vegan and had a hard time at the begining of being gluten-free because almost all meat subtitutes as you know are filled with wheat and wheat gluten.

the only "burgers" i have found that are gluten-free and vegan are SUNSHINE burgers. they are really good i think and they come in 3 flavors.. original.. spicy black bean .. and bar b q.

there are also franklin farms veggie burgers but they have egg whites in them.

ive been making alot of things with tempeh and started cooking with tofu a bit more.

i make a "chicken" salad with tempeh thats GREAT!!

i do tofu scram with veggies and salsa for breakfast.

i make stir fry alot. all different kinds.

i make "BLT"s with "bacon" that i actually make from coconut ( i know, sounds crazy!!)

"egg" salad with tofu and veganise.

all kinds of things.. i love sharing recipes so if your interested let me know!!

I am not a vegetarian, but I have a few products to recommend.

All flavours of McCormick bouillon cubes are vegetarian. Those flavours include chicken, beef, and vegetable.

Thai Kitchen has some vegan and gluten free food.

http://www.thaikitchen.com/dietaryinfo.html

Natur-a makes some really good rice milk that is gluten-free, dairy free, and vegetarian.

http://www.nutrisoya.com/index_.php?langue...ous_section=2_9

My very favorite main dish salad salad:

Mixed baby greens

shredded carrots

chopped red pepper

chopped green onions

avocado chunks

canned or frozen corn

dried cranberries (I like the cherry--flavored ones best) or sliced fresh strawberries

toasted pecans

goat cheese crumbles (are you allergic to all dairy or just cow dairy?)

raspberry vinaigrette (raspberry jam mxed with olive oil, balsamic, salt and pepper) or

lemon vinaigrette (fresh-squeezed lemon juice, olive oil, a splashof balsamic, salt pepper, and sometimes garlic)

YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM YUM :)

I have an interesting family. My daughter and husband are dairy allergic. My son is celiac and egg allergy. We are also vegetarians. I found the the tofu pups at our grocery store and that made me SO happy to be able to give him hotdogs again! Burgers are a little harder. So for you vegetarians out there what do you eat? What brands have you found that excite you?

Can't wait to find out!

Taffy

authentic foods makes a falafel mix, or you can make your own (garbanzo beans and bean flour) that works quite well for burgers. (I'd probably add black beans if I was making my own for a more burger-y taste)

WE also eat the TOfu Pups and I was so excited to find them. My son loves them. I am going to try and get the sunrich burgers.

We eat tofu stir fried vegetables, etc.

We mainly eat mexican food though or pasta's.

We eat alot of taco salads, taco's out of soft corn shells and crunchy.

We use Pamela's pancake mix.

Soups out of beans and vege's.

Baked potatoes.

I know this isn't much help. I have some recipes coming my way soon to make main entree's, so I will post them when they come.

It is challenging and I am not dairy free, but thinking about trying it soon. I have done it before, but not while I was also gluten free.

I really miss being able to have oats.

Monica

I'm not a vegetarian, but I don't eat meat often. My new sandwiches are corn tortillas with either homemade hummus or guacamole as the filling. Yummy.

I'm having this problem myself. Since my C-diff infection meat and I don't get along. I can eat a tiny bit every couple days but that's about it. But, my vegetarian options are very limited because I can't do legumes (beans etc) which is used so much! Pretty much my mom has been really inventive with tofu and I started using portabello mushrooms for my "burger" yeah it's a bit of a stretch!

Felidae, where are you getting the corn tortillas? The only ones I've found, I think from Planet Organic, are frozen and I have a heck of a time doing anything with them. They are too brittle. Maybe I got a bad batch.