• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rate this topic

I need a new blender to make DF/gluten-free/EF/NF stuff with. Last time I bought on I just got one of the cheapest on the Walmart shelf... since I have to buy a new one, anything specail I should look for?

My recommendation...every "blender" I ever bought could never withstand the things I wanted it to do. They could not puree fine enough or chop ice well. They burned out easily. I ended up buying a smoothie maker, not a blender, and it has worked perfectly! Purees beautifully, chops ice...works great! It was pretty cheap, much cheaper than the blender I had. This is the one I have: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2584484

My recommendation...every "blender" I ever bought could never withstand the things I wanted it to do. They could not puree fine enough or chop ice well. They burned out easily. I ended up buying a smoothie maker, not a blender, and it has worked perfectly! Purees beautifully, chops ice...works great! It was pretty cheap, much cheaper than the blender I had. This is the one I have: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2584484

OOO gotta love that price. I was trying to think of what I ever used a belnder for OTHER then smoothies... is there another use? I cant think of one :D

KitchenAid's uber-heavy duty one. (Don't remember the wattage...) I make smoothies thick enough that they don't come out when you turn the blender jar upside down (grab a spoon!), and it works just fine. I love the thing. :-) (They are like $70, but worth it.)

I thought about the smoothie makers, but my smoothies don't pour, so I never understood how the spouts at the bottom of those things would do me any good! ;-)

KitchenAid's uber-heavy duty one. (Don't remember the wattage...) I make smoothies thick enough that they don't come out when you turn the blender jar upside down (grab a spoon!), and it works just fine. I love the thing. :-) (They are like $70, but worth it.)

I thought about the smoothie makers, but my smoothies don't pour, so I never understood how the spouts at the bottom of those things would do me any good! ;-)

Got a link?

I have a Waring--have had it for at least 15 years. It's the heavy duty-bar type. It was not cheap--around $100 then, but I will most likely never need to buy another one.

Got a link?

Yeah, I always keep the spout closed so I don't have to clean it! I prefer to pour from the top :)

Mine is like this one--only older and cobalt blue :D

http://www.amazon .com/gp/product/B00004S8F...glance&n=284507

I am sure thats great one, but at $130 its way beyond my means.

This is the one I have:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.as...11735843&RN=436

Combo blender/food processor. I swear by cuisinart, and it's served me well so far. It's also nice that I don't have a big honkin' processor and a big honkin' blender taking up space seperately in my cabinet. Makes a mean milkshake!

Hmm now this one is possible casue we nave a $25 gift cert and a 20% coupon for BBY.(I think)

What makes this better then the $19 one, ad what do you use a food processor for? I have never owned one in all my 31 years :)

What makes this better then the $19 one, ad what do you use a food processor for? I have never owned one in all my 31 years :)

In my case it was better than the $19 one because someone else bought it :P It was a wedding gift.

Let's see...I use the processor for veggies and fruits for either lazy chopping or pureeing. I also use it to make the dressing for potato salad/cole slaw. Chopping nuts (almonds and peanuts only, allergic to others). It's also very useful for cutting butter or shortening into whatever flour mix for pie crusts, though I still use a pastry blender for that.

There's also a shredding blade, though I've never used it.

Cuisinarts are up there with KitchenAid, they last forever and have a lot of power. I'd reccommend it! :)

Guest nini

After my Hamilton Beach blender burned out and literally smoked up my kitchen, we went out and bought a Black and Decker blender... got it at Target, and I don't think we paid too much for it... but with the Black and Decker name, hubby figured it had to be good! So far so good and no complaints.

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/601-2...asin=B0009IE49G

yep, here it is! Nice one! and not too pricey!

I actually have an extra one (a Kitchenaid) sitting in my garage gathering dust as we speak. It weighs a ton, so I don't know how much it would cost to send it to you. You can have it--you wouldn't be driving anywhere near Pittsburgh, PA, would you?

This is the one I have (well, I have the blue, but it's currently $10 cheaper in black... go figure). Interesting enough, Amazon has factory refurbished ones for $54. I use this thing daily during some parts of the year, and weekly during others, and it's lasted... five years, with no problems so far. But there are a lot of other good blenders out there too, you just have to avoid the $20 crappy ones. ;-)

Vincent...one more thought, one of the reasons I think my smoothie maker works better than my blenders did--2 reasons, 1--the blades are mixed--2 are formed upwards and 2 are down. My previous blenders the blades were always pointed down only. 2nd--as the smoothie maker is on you use the wand to stir the contents counter clockwise, so it helps everything mix efficiently. Just another thought :) Good luck making your decision!!

Vincent...one more thought, one of the reasons I think my smoothie maker works better than my blenders did--2 reasons, 1--the blades are mixed--2 are formed upwards and 2 are down. My previous blenders the blades were always pointed down only. 2nd--as the smoothie maker is on you use the wand to stir the contents counter clockwise, so it helps everything mix efficiently. Just another thought :) Good luck making your decision!!

Is this "wand" built in to the unit, or something you stick in while its running?

You stick it in the top. The piece that covers the hole in the lid pops out and the wand fits right in. Not spills or splashes....

You stick it in the top. The piece that covers the hole in the lid pops out and the wand fits right in. Not spills or splashes....

Yes I realize that.. but is it an attachment, or jsut a stick? I would worry about hitting the blades.

OKAY I know you are all dieing to know what blender I ended up with :) Welp I was able to get this one:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.as...-1&SKU=13687471

for $10 after coupons/etc. Works great. Just used it to mix the darifree, and hten made a smothie. My old blender could not hanlde the froze strawberries, I had to cut them up first. This one smashed right through them . :D

Thanks for all the tips!