• Join Our Community!

Do you have questions about celiac disease or the gluten-free diet?

Rachel--24

Bob's Red Mill Or Natures Path

Rate this topic

I'm trying to decide which flaxmeal is safer. They are both organic. Bob's is cheaper for a bigger bag....but there is so much discussion on here about c.c. with Bob's. I guess I'm scared. :unsure:

What would you guys choose? Is Natures Path just as risky?

I don't care for Bob's regular flax meal personally - it was bitter when I bought it. I have bought the golden flax meal and haven't seemed to have CC problems. I like Arrowhead Mills finely ground flax meal (in the refrigerated section). Sorry I don't know anything about Nature's Path.

I made some muffins with Bob's flax meal last week and I've eaten a ton of them and have had absolutely no problems. If I understand correctly, I think you should make sure the bag you buy has the little gluten-free symbol and the note that says it comes from a batch that was tested for gluten. I've never tried Nature's Path though (or any other kind of flax meal :) )

I don't believe flax seed has ever bothered me before. The reaction happened over a year ago and the only new food that I remember eating was Bob's Red Mill flaxseed. All I remember is that I had a severe reaction that lasted for about 2 weeks. That was enough for me never to eat their products again. I am also extremely sensitive to gluten and I also have a wheat allergy, so when I am exposed to any amount of wheat, my reactions can be quite intsense.

I don't believe flax seed has ever bothered me before. The reaction happened over a year ago and the only new food that I remember eating was Bob's Red Mill flaxseed. All I remember is that I had a severe reaction that lasted for about 2 weeks. That was enough for me never to eat their products again. I am also extremely sensitive to gluten and I also have a wheat allergy, so when I am exposed to any amount of wheat, my reactions can be quite intsense.

Wow that sounds pretty horrible. It's so frustrating that a product that says gluten-free all over the package would cause problems like that, especially when it's just a single-ingredient item like flax meal. That's really really annoying.

Nobody's tried Natures Path? Thats the one I decided to use and I just made yummy muffins with it. I'm mainly worried about c.c. since I've had alot of problems. I try to stick to whole foods to avoid this for now. Are Natures Path products generally pretty safe?

Does anyone know if you can get Bob's Red Mill on PEI?
You can find Bob's Red Mill in the health food section at the Sobey's by Future Shop or the Superstore by Burger King in Charlottetown. The health food section can be found in front of the meat department in both stores.

Nobody's tried Natures Path?
I don't think I've ever had Nature's Path flours.

Guest nini

I don't use flax seed, but I've never had problems with Nature's Path products. I have on the other hand had tons of problems with Bob's Red Mill AND Arrowhead Mills... which is a shame because I really like their products.

Hi guys,

I just purchased a bag of the WHOLE flax seed from Bob's Red Mill and hope I will be OK. I'm a little worried after reading this thread. When I opened the bag this morning I made sure to look that there weren't any triticaceae grain members hanging out in the pile I put in my smoothie and I then washed the seeds under the tap for five minutes.

If there is a problem with flour flying around their factory do you think washing the grains could help with this?

Any replies are appreciated. I would also love to know if anyone has specifically had problems with the WHOLE brown flax seeds from Bob's Red Mill.

This is an old thread. However, I do think that Bob's Red mill does a good job with testing for gluten. They have a separate facility dedicated for gluten free. They however do not test for avenin, the protein in oats. They process gluten free oats and I believe their products to be gluten free oat contaminated. I am gluten free oat intolerent and discovered it when I ate their gluten free oats the first time. About 6 months later I started having problems that were ongoing for 8 months. I eliminated all of the BRM meals/flours I had been using and my symptoms improved. Now if I eat anything BRM I react horribly. For me I don't think it is gluten contamination but gluten free oat contamination. I have had to eliminate other gluten free products because of this also. There are plenty of people that tolerate BRM products without problems. I hate that I can not eat them because their products are so readily available. You will just have to try it to find out.